Is The Pacific Sun Off For 2 Weeks?

Rolls

What do they usually do while on dry dock? Would that mean that some of the crew would be on holiday too?

I was on Oceana when it did dry-dock in Southampton last year. Rather than a holiday for the crew it is anawful lot of work for most of them. It is a chance to catch up and do maintenance, have a really deep clean etc. The ship is fully inspected for safety, there will be new carpets laid, the decks will all be sanded with the quoit markings etc all re-done. It can be a real pain as power goes on and off, the air conditioning is usually switched off, there can be no running water etc as the ship is basically a building site for the time it is in there with lots of outside contractors.

As an example in the theatre on Oceana we really deep-cleaned, tested and sorted every single cable, repainted all the speakers, repaired and reglued the stage, had wheelchair spaces installed at the back, cleared out the theatre store, installed new equipment etc. Even the theatre cast went back to London to do extra rehearsals.

In the end the ship looked great by the end of the week and a lot of niggling problems that couldn't be dealt with while the ship was in service were fixed.

Hope that answers your question.

okay, from the map that maf101 found i was able to find it using google earth.

heres two pics i got

showing the terminal site as well

closer to the drydock

take care,

sam.

Hey Sam,

I can't access Google Earth on my computer. Any chance of an update of the picture now that the Sun is in the Dry Dock?

Cheers,

Chaz:)

PS Does anyone know if that is that the new cruise terminal we can see in the distance in the current Sun Cruise Cam?

Hi Firstimercruiser. What is this google earth site? How do you get on to it? Is it a site us cruise fanatics can use to satisfy our addition or can it be used for other things? I love to find new sites. Thanks Suexxx:D

yea as stated before, google earth only gets updated once in a while.

you can get it HERE

id go for version 3 as havnt used the new beta version yet.

also contact me and i can give you the details for finding many cruise ships with it. for example the Regal Princess sitting in dock at San Fransisco.

take care,

sam.

We were over that way this evening so we drove down and had a look at Pacific Sun all lit up in dry dock. Didn't have the camera with us unfortunately. We hope to get down there with the camera over the weekend.

We were over that way this evening so we drove down and had a look at Pacific Sun all lit up in dry dock. Didn't have the camera with us unfortunately. We hope to get down there with the camera over the weekend.

If you do Kym it would be great to see some photos.

Karen

not any more. looks maybe there is a reason that they are only showing us bits. a nice suprise maybe?

Probably down to the fact that the internet on board the ship will be up and down more times than a bride's nightie. The system will no doubt get an overhaul and any internet access on the ship will more than likely be off for the duration of drydock.

Thanks for that Heads!!! One more question though, you mean even the waiters and the chefs help in these tasks?

Yes, they will be roped in to help with the deep-cleaning and any other tasks that need doing. I don't recall any crew getting a "holiday" when we did dry-dock. For a start it would have been far too costly flying them back to India or arranging accomodation for them.

I did manage to get back to home in England for one night but the rest of the time we worked far harder than if we had been at sea.

If you do Kym it would be great to see some photos.

Karen

I'll see what I can do. Because of the building works for the cruise ship terminal you can't get to the best place to take shots of her in the dry dock, but I'll give it a go. I do have a good zoom function on my camera. If the new terminal had been finished I'd have been able to get some good shots from the viewing platform that's a part of the development. While we're there I'll also report back on how finished the new terminal looks. I wonder if it will be ready to take Pacific Star on her return from Auckland in a few weeks time, or if she'll have to continue using Pinkenba for a time?

Anyone cruising out of Brisbane in the near future been given any idea where they'll be going from?

While we're there I'll also report back on how finished the new terminal looks. I wonder if it will be ready to take Pacific Star on her return from Auckland in a few weeks time, or if she'll have to continue using Pinkenba for a time?

Anyone cruising out of Brisbane in the near future been given any idea where they'll be going from?

I'm on R627, Dep Brisbane on 19th Aug. It's the Star's first voyage out of Brisbane. I picked up my tickets on Thursday and the info with them says we will be departing from and returning to Pinkenba on the 29th.

Trevor.

Archived