EXCURSIONS for the "MEXICAN RIVIERA" the PRIDE

jbags58

Help! We are heading to the Mexican Riviera September 24th, 06 and wantn to plan our excursions ahead of time....I have had back surgery in 2005 and am having other back issues too now but was wondering if anyone has done the

Horse back riding

ATV adventure

Scuba

What are your experiences of other excursions too! I'm thinking the at least the two first ones would be a no-no :( for sure but would like to do the horse back riding.

They are level three activities and wonder what those of you have gone before me....I LOVE the PRIE was there on our honeymoon in 2003 so looking forward to seeing her again!

ANY INFO or stories to share PLEASE POST!

Thank you in advance!!:D

Julie :)

Carnival Pride 5/03 Eastern Caribbean

Monarch of the Seas, RC 2/04 Ensenada

Carnival Glory 4/05 Eastern Caribbean

Carnival Paradise 2/06 Ensenada

Carnival Paradise 3/06 Ensenada

Carnival Pride 9/06 Mexican Riviera

Carnival Triumph 4/07 Western Caribbean

We went on the Pride a couple months ago and had a great time. I am pregnant so I only took the beach break and city type tours. They were all fun, but mellow. DH and his brother went on the Dune Buggy tour in Puerto Vallarta booked through Carnival. The dune buggies were not in good shape. They rigged his brakes with a sock or something and he could not get it to stop and almost crashed into a tree (we bought the travel insurance so I think that is why he did not crash, had we not bought it he of course would have crashed and broken a few bones)! He went on the bewery tour in Mazatlan and snorkeling in Cabo. Then also when in Cabo they rented a jet ski right by the tender dock and had lots of fun with that. I could see him jet skiing from the Lido deck.

Thanks SD1029 and MORRIS CATS...you say Randi's is the best but would you say it's suitable for someone with BACK PROBLEMS?? THANKS!

By the way...I see you are in Napa, CA...we live in Sonoma County (Rohnert Park) and San Joaquin County...not to far from you!

Thanks for the info!

Julie =)

Carnival Pride 5/03 Eastern Caribbean

Monarch of the Seas, RC 2/04 Ensenada

Carnival Glory 4/05 Eastern Caribbean

Carnival Paradise 2/06 Ensenada

Carnival Paradise 3/06 Ensenada

Carnival Pride 9/06 Mexican Riviera

Carnival Triumph 4/07 Western Caribbean

We regret not doing the ocean kayaking at Cabo. We did rent a glass bottom boat and covered the same ground (or water as the case may be), but the kayaking appeared infinitely more fun. With a bad back, however, you may want to avoid both.

jbags58 - We did Randie's last Oct. Although it's a fun excursion, I don't think trotting horses would be good for your back. Check out Maz. Franks. He also has a lot of good reviews. We will be back in Mexico on the Pride in Nov. I'm thinking of just going to a resort this time.

We're neighbors - Hi from Petaluma

Hi Neighbor,

I did ride with Randi and do have back and neck problems. I just told the guides not to try and make my horse gallop - we just walked along the beach and enjoyed it. I was a little sore afterward but I was so glad I did it. The second time I just skipped the ride and went with Randi straight to Victors and waited for the riders to show up. The beach is wonderful and the water was so warm (we were there Aug and Oct.) I do know Mazatlan Frank has a great tour too - he and Randi are friends. Can't go wrong with either.

In Puerto Vallarta, hubby and oldest son did the Los Des Vernos (independent - not ship excursion) Canopy Tour. They had a blast. I think if you reserve it on-line you get a 10% discount (plus you do NOT have to give them any credit card info). I am thinking after the discount is was around $72.00 a person. Then you have to add the $3 - 5 a person to grab a taxi from the ship to the office. And the same for a taxi ride from the office back to the ship. Basically for less than $85.00 a person.

The walk "up" was not bad. And of course, you are just sitting as you glide through the trees...so that should not hurt your back. You eventually "land" right back at the store..so no more walking once you have completely your glides.

Remember if you are booking the tour, that PV is one hour ahead of the ship. It is not a tendered port, so getting off in a timely fashion should not be a problem. Hubby and son booked it for 11AM and had plenty of time. They were back by 3pm. Take your swim suit...they have a river you can swim in.

We loved Randi's horses as well..but with your back...I would be leary. We trotted (and galloped) a lot. I can say though that if you tell them to put you on a plug that will barely move...they can do it.

Have a great cruise.

I had a discectomy in 2002. In 2004, I went on the Vision and kayaked to Lover's Beach, went on Randi's and the Canopy Tour. I asked Randi for a calm horse. I think I got the laziest horse she had. I was at the end; the horse refused to move any faster than a slow walk. So, I think you will be OK with one of those. I also went on Mazatlan Frank's tour in May, which was excellent! Good luck!

I'd go with Mazatlan Frank. He does great tours and you will be comfy in a van with A/C and cushioned seate. There are lots of stops to stretch and he is very accomodating.

In my opinion, and we go to the Mexican Riviera alot and have gone on several different tours with him, he is the best.

You may want to opt for the colonial tour or the city tour. I think the Copola tour may be too much with a back problem. It is longer and all up hill. Concordia is a nice sleepy village and you get the real flavor of real Mexico there.

Franks e mail address is here somewhere. Just do a search but he, or one of his helpers are the best guides going.

You can book directly on line with him, don just bank on him having room for a couple more people. We saw people wanting to go with him and he just didn't have room.

Write him and reserve early. You will have a great time. We sure did.

Dorothy

Archived