Vancouver Rental Car--Insurance, Eh?

HI...Will be in BC in just a few days..(11):) I am soo excieted!! we will be renting a car for the day , and ,I just read something about a "Non-Resicent Interprovince Vehicle Liability Insurance Card"...are any of you fimaliar wiht this? Is this only if I am driving across the boarder, or across Canada? Is this instead of the Insurance I will purchace from the rental car company? Or is the Insruance Liabiality from the Rental Car company all I will need?

Im so confused:confused: and I dont want to break any laws!:eek:

Thanks for any info.:cool:

I have to think this is something that applies to owners of vehicles coming

to British Columbia from other provinces. You might want to verify with

your car rental company but I have to think that their insurance would

cover all of the requirements for the area where they are doing business.

I found this link to an article in the New York Times that talks a bit about this:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?sec=travel&res=9A0DE2D81E38F93AA25754C0A960948260

Here's an excerpt:

Travelers planning to drive their own cars to Mexico or Canada this summer should be aware that insurance laws in those countries differ from those in the United States. Getting in an accident in Mexico without special Mexican automobile insurance, for example, could land an American driver in jail. And a motorist who drives in Canada without some way to prove financial responsibility, risks having the car impounded or driving privileges suspended in an accident.

Mexican insurance companies sell a document called a ''special automobile policy for tourists'' at offices in many American border towns. The cost depends on the value of the car, the amount of coverage and the length of a trip through Mexico.

Many Americans who plan to drive in Canada can get a ''Canada nonresident interprovince motor vehicle liability insurance card'' from their insurance agent, according to the Insurance Information Institute in New York City. The card shows that the insurance company is willing to meet minimum financial responsibility requirements in Canada.

Thank you...I did find out that you are exactly right...it is for your own personal car...the website I was looking at had a blurb about renting a car and then a comma and then the statement about the special insurance, so I read that as meaning if you rent...I guess it was just bad editing on the website , I interperted it as one thought, and it was appearetnly 2 seperate issues...

(btw-the car rental co had no clue what this document was..'had never heard of such a thing'...no big suprise, seem they didnt know much about anything , even their own locations in BC...:rolleyes: )

Thank you again...I was veryc onfused and am guessing some others would have been too....

With that off my mind...Im off to get ready, to get ready to pack!!!!:p :D ;)

Archived