cave tubing/water shoes

Fairyduster

Just did the cave tubing this week (didn't do zip line) - you do a bit of hiking, but the terrain is fairly smooth. There were lots of people with us who had open-toe sandals. They also rent water shoes for $4 at the first stop before the tubing. We bought water shoes from Lands End (Sport Shoes) for $29 and they worked great, but weren't really necessary in my opinion.

We did the cave tubing a couple of weeks ago and used water shoes, but Teva's should work just fine. You just don't want to wear something that will fall off your feet in the water (like flip flops). We found our water shoes at Wal-Mart for just over $5.00.... they almost look like sneakers, but come in colors like red, blue, and black.

John

i passed up a pair of water shoes that fit for $4 at walmart. i am kicking myself now for not buying them . i will be going there tomorro and see if they are still there. there is always the '' best buy that got away '' and this was one for me :o .

The walk in is about 40 minutes. while it is mostly flat there are some areas of steps and such. Arch support is good to have. Sandles are fine but water shoes "normally" do not give any arch support. It comes down to your feet and walking habits.

Another point, if you are going with Yhoni - He will interlock your feet under the armpits of person in front of you. This way the whole group will be held together and enable him to get you around the shallow spots, tree roots and away from the rock walls.

So, to be kind to that person in front - have some good pedi-work done if you are wearing sandles.

I wore a pair of well ( very well) worn joggers. At the end of the day I left them on the dock for anyone to have.

J

Another point, if you are going with Yhoni - He will interlock your feet under the armpits of person in front of you.

J

hmmmmmm....going with Yhoni....not really sure that I want someone else's feet under my armpit....and I am pretty sure no one wants mine under theirs.....

• 1 month later...
Yhoni is which cave tubing company? Don't know if I'm thrilled about that either.

Yhoni is with cave-tubing.com We went a couple of weeks ago and had a great time! The feet on the other persons tube was fine! Much better than it sounds. My BF was behind me, so his feet were on my tube, a family that we met on the roll call was also in our line of linked tubers, so my feet were on the Dad's tube!

No problem at all...we had a great time...and he didn't let me go either! I was very secure! There is a guide at the front of each line of linked tubes of 5 or 6.

You don't have to worry about running into any rocks or obstacles...they guide you. They acutally are in the front facing you with there legs linked to the first tube...if the water is slow...they paddle away...pulling all of you through ... no hard work for anyone but them!

Yhony makes this tour so much fun! I highly recommend him and his co!

We had an 80 year old woman on this tour...they even carried her piggy back part of the way!

It is only $45 per person but they took such great care of us, we gave them a very nice, well deserved, tip!

Cruzn

Linking with the feet isn't as bad as what is sounds. The person in front of you hold on to your ankles, no feet are in your face. This is to ensure that everyone stays together and isn't left on their own. I saw another tour group left to their own devices and had a terrible time going through the caves. We had a lot of fun and will definately do cave-tubing.com again.

Our cave tubing tour we had the option on locking together and no one did, personally i liked it better floating alone, there were 12 in our tour, we had a guide in the front and a guide in the back to make sure none of us got left behind. The ships tour as ahead of us, 60 people 2 guides, they were scattered all over the place. We passed a lady in the water behind some rocks, she was crying, she told our guide she was with the ships tour and had gotten left behind, we tryed to get her to come with us but she would not move. I guess she made it back to the ship because i never heard any names being called as we left port.

Oh and about the shoes, the trail is easy, any shoes with straps will work, the canopy tour and my water shoes worked out great, when you are on the platforms you need traction.

I'm doing the cave tube/zip line thing in August and I was told to bring water shoes. I'm having trouble finding them and I was wondering if Teva sandals would work instead?

When I went tubing last year, I used Teva. I had read that water shoes do not provide the foot support and protection from the rocks on the hike to the river. I had no problems and found that the Tevas were perfect for the hike and the tubing part of the trip.

As for linking in a train on the tubing, we had 4 participants with a guide and we did link together. It was great!

I found water shoes to be very helpful on our last cruise.

Purchased them thru the internet at Dick's Sporting Goods (their internet site, not the store). Just google the name.

They were $9.99, and they had an offer at the time for free shipping on shoes.

Archived