HAL's hotel in Denali?

maggie mac

Our brochure says that the HAL cruisetour stays at the McKinley Chalet Lodge in Denali. I don't find a match on that name but I do see the McKinley Chalet Resort. Can someone confirm for me that this is where HAL cruisetour passengers stay? If anyone has stayed there, can you tell me a little about it?

Thanks,

Margaret

Yes, this is where HAL Tours stay. We just got back tonight and stayed there 6/7-6/9 independently. It's a nice place but really spread out. Our rooms were in the cottonwood building a long walk from the main building but right on the river. They have shuttle buses that run between stops and the main lodge. Too tired to write more now but I'll get back to you tomorrow.

Thanks so much for the confirmation about the HAL hotel. I can't believe you posted the day you got back; I'm planning on being comatose for a couple days after I return.

When you've recovered, I would appreciate any other information you can provide about the hotel, the area, etc.

Margaret

Thanks so much for the confirmation about the HAL hotel. I can't believe you posted the day you got back; I'm planning on being comatose for a couple days after I return.

When you've recovered, I would appreciate any other information you can provide about the hotel, the area, etc.

Margaret

We were there in June 2004 and if I remember correctly, McKinley Chalet Resorts (MCR) is owned by HAL and Denali Princess Lodge by PCL. Yes, there are shuttle buses 'cause the terrain is hilly. Our cabin was towards the lower end near the Nenana River where there is white water rafting tours. The cabins were comfortable. Here are a couple pics of MCR taken when we left by train for Fairbanks following our Tundra Wilderness Tour. The 1st shows mainly the cabins below the main part MCR in the upper right. The 2nd is of the main MCR complex...Harvey:)

getImage.pl?imgID=59092171-8bca&trans=

getImage.pl?imgID=59092174-4ecb&trans=

We were in the Cottonwood buiding. This is more light a hotel with interior door. The room was a good size with 2 double bed a table with three chairs and a tiny balcony area that only fit one white plastic chair. This was one large room with a large bathroom(at least compared to the ship) with a shower only. It was right by the Nenana River. We usually took the shuttle up the hill but walked back. Most of the rooms are in log cabin still buildings with maybe 20 or so rooms in them. They have a sitting room(small) and a small bedroom. This is what we had booked originally but were upgraded to the Cottonwood building. Cottonwood is somewhat newer.

We went to the Cabin night show. It was good, kind of an Alaska version of Disney's Hoop-de-do Review, but seems more authentic. Funny. They food is served family style. Ribs, salmon, mashed potatoes, biscuits, corn, beans, of yeah a salad, iced tea, water, coffee or tea, and a blueberry-blackberry cobbler. The food was very good. We also ate a dinner at the Courtyard Cafe. We had the buffet for 24.95. It have ribs salmon, and carved prime rib and turkey. We also ate the breakfast ate Flapjack Frannie's. Again family style, very good, one price I think about $14 all you can eat. Great pancakes. We took the Tundra Wilderness Tour from the Chalet. We had the first one in the morning but getting up early was worth it. We saw tons of animals, even a fox running across the road right at the Chalet while we were boarding the bus. We also got an upclose look at a mama moose and her calf right next to one of the cabins at the chalet while we were walking to dinner. Scared the heck out of me but a great story to tell.

Have fun at MCR.

Maggie,

If you do go to the Cabin Nite dinner show, get there just before the doors open when the waiters / waitresses / performers greet you as the doors open and don't forget to order seconds on somethin, no matter how small, to get into the swing of things.

Also if it includes a stop in Dawson City in the Yukon, a great place BTW, you can go from a hi (ice cream at Klondyke's) to a low (a sourTOE cocktail at the Sourdough Saloon in the Downtown Hotel), or maybe it should be in reverse order from low to hi(?). Have a great & enjoyable trip...HarveygetImage.pl?imgID=59110737-d875&trans=

getImage.pl?imgID=59110736-f4ca&trans=

getImage.pl?imgID=59110735-25c1&trans=

Thanks, Harvey for the information about Cabin Nite. We haven't decided on excursions at Denali yet; well except for the Tundra Wilderness Tour which is part of the cruisetour. But I will keep your tips in mind if we attend the show; definitely sounds like fun.

We won't be going to the Yukon on this tour; just Anchorage, Denali, and Fairbanks. Maybe next time. I haven't even been yet but after all my research, feel like there will definitely be a next time.

Margaret

Archived