Desperately need help........sail 7/23

GIJanet

Hi! I have perused the boards quite a bit to keep from asking a bunch of questions that have already been addressed, but don't have the time to keep digging into the really old posts. Any help you can offer will be so greatly appreciated.

WE leave 7/23 on the Westerdam roundtrip out of Seattle to Alaska. There are six of us, my parents, both 76; and my family; husband and I late 40's; kids, son, 13; daughter, 5. My dad gets around with a cane (thinking about renting a wheelchair) due to a car accident that damn near killed him five years ago. My mom is a diabetic. Nuff said. My daughter has had five heart surgeries and has a mechanical heart valve; she's on coumadin, but we home test so I'm not reallly worried about that........at least on the trip. :D Don's retired military; I'm retired military and teach. Okay, enough about us.

We are virtually virgins at cruising. :eek: We did do a cruise when I was pregnant with Katie six years ago on the now defunct Big Red Boat. We only booked this a couple of weeks ago as our lives do not permit much advance planning and thus, have had limited time to research. For my parents and probably Don and I too, this is a once in a lifetime thing. I have several questions, so please bear with me.

1) My dad has a really tough time walking very far. Should I rent a wheelchair and take it with us or try and get one through the ship?

2) Keeping in mind my dad's limited physical state, what are the best, must absolutely do type of excursions? What would you recommend? I am going to try and pre-book any that are "must-do's"...........well, if Hal's site ever gets running right and I only have a couple of more days to do that! I would like to do a floatplane, but I notice that some involve quite a bit of walking so that rules some out. Do you know of any that you would recommend that don't require much walking?

3) Does anyone know the heights of any of the excursion summits? My daughter is not supposed to go above 5000 - 8000 feet altitude (wide range I know, but we haven't tested any of this yet) due to her heart defects and diminished oxygen levels. I am going to check with her ped cardiologist, but I dont' have any idea what altitude to ask about. :confused:

4) I guess what I am asking is, if you knew you were only going once, what excursions would you recommend, based on all of our limitations?

5) Mom has always wanted to see whales. What would be the best place or excursion to manage that?

6) Minor question, but are HAL's pools heated? Katie will have to have her wetsuit if not. I would like to forego packing that if the pools are heated.

7) I doubt seriously if anyone has stayed in these particular rooms before, but we have suites 7084 and 7082, adjoining. Any input?

8) I truly appreciate any input or tips anyone can give on any or all of the above or if you just have some words of wisdom.

9) Is there some way to stay in touch on board? Do two way radios work or are there so many the signals are jammed? or do they not work at all on ship?

I'm really beginning to panic, just thinking about getting all of the above mentioned parties even on the ship. Oh, yea, one thing I remember from the Big Red Boat excursion was the horrible embarkation process. Any tips there? I have tried to pre-register, but I can't seem to catch a time when HAL's website is up and running. I have checked the Seattle hotel threads as we are doing an extra night there, so I feel comfortable about that, but is there anything that we "must see" in Seattle?

Thank you guys so much for any input you might have. I just read the latest review on one Alaskan cruise and I think I am actually getting excited. Hugs. J.

Hi! I have perused the boards quite a bit to keep from asking a bunch of questions that have already been addressed, but don't have the time to keep digging into the really old posts. Any help you can offer will be so greatly appreciated.

WE leave 7/23 on the Westerdam roundtrip out of Seattle to Alaska. There are six of us, my parents, both 76; and my family; husband and I late 40's; kids, son, 13; daughter, 5. My dad gets around with a cane (thinking about renting a wheelchair) due to a car accident that damn near killed him five years ago. My mom is a diabetic. Nuff said. My daughter has had five heart surgeries and has a mechanical heart valve; she's on coumadin, but we home test so I'm not reallly worried about that........at least on the trip. :D Don's retired military; I'm retired military and teach. Okay, enough about us.

We are virtually virgins at cruising. :eek: We did do a cruise when I was pregnant with Katie six years ago on the now defunct Big Red Boat. We only booked this a couple of weeks ago as our lives do not permit much advance planning and thus, have had limited time to research. For my parents and probably Don and I too, this is a once in a lifetime thing. I have several questions, so please bear with me.

1) My dad has a really tough time walking very far. Should I rent a wheelchair and take it with us or try and get one through the ship?

2) Keeping in mind my dad's limited physical state, what are the best, must absolutely do type of excursions? What would you recommend? I am going to try and pre-book any that are "must-do's"...........well, if Hal's site ever gets running right and I only have a couple of more days to do that! I would like to do a floatplane, but I notice that some involve quite a bit of walking so that rules some out. Do you know of any that you would recommend that don't require much walking?

3) Does anyone know the heights of any of the excursion summits? My daughter is not supposed to go above 5000 - 8000 feet altitude (wide range I know, but we haven't tested any of this yet) due to her heart defects and diminished oxygen levels. I am going to check with her ped cardiologist, but I dont' have any idea what altitude to ask about. :confused:

4) I guess what I am asking is, if you knew you were only going once, what excursions would you recommend, based on all of our limitations?

5) Mom has always wanted to see whales. What would be the best place or excursion to manage that?

6) Minor question, but are HAL's pools heated? Katie will have to have her wetsuit if not. I would like to forego packing that if the pools are heated.

7) I doubt seriously if anyone has stayed in these particular rooms before, but we have suites 7084 and 7082, adjoining. Any input?

8) I truly appreciate any input or tips anyone can give on any or all of the above or if you just have some words of wisdom.

9) Is there some way to stay in touch on board? Do two way radios work or are there so many the signals are jammed? or do they not work at all on ship?

I'm really beginning to panic, just thinking about getting all of the above mentioned parties even on the ship. Oh, yea, one thing I remember from the Big Red Boat excursion was the horrible embarkation process. Any tips there? I have tried to pre-register, but I can't seem to catch a time when HAL's website is up and running. I have checked the Seattle hotel threads as we are doing an extra night there, so I feel comfortable about that, but is there anything that we "must see" in Seattle?

Thank you guys so much for any input you might have. I just read the latest review on one Alaskan cruise and I think I am actually getting excited. Hugs. J.

Hi Janet

(2) + (3) A seaplane ride in southeast Alaska for your family is a great idea and one you won't soon forget (especially not the landing and take--off on a secluded and serene lake). Here is the 800 number for PromechAir (800-860-3845 - 8AM-6PM Alaska time). They are located in Ketchikan and are the largest floatplane company in SE Alaska. Give them a call and ask them the altitude question (I doubt that they will fly above 5000 feet but they will tell you)

Don't be nervous - have a great time!! & thanks for serving!!:)

I cruised the Westerdam June 11-18. She is a lovely ship! Your cabins are near the aft elevators, which will be handy for accessing the dining room and the Lido. The Crow's Nest is a lovely place to watch the world go by, but must be accessed via the forward elevators unless you want to walk on the open deck.

Hubbard Glacier -- Very scenic approaching Hubbard. Then we spent 2 hours in front of the glacier -- 1 hour with starboard facing the glacier, then another hour with the port side facing the glacier. The bow of the ship is open for viewing, but very crowded. I preferred deck 10 aft which is open air.

Juneau is a good port for humpback whale-watching. I went with Orca Enterprises (also known as Capt. Larry here on the boards). Their offices are across the street from the ship, then they transport you to out to Auke Bay to get on their boat. There is a LARGE steep ramp to get from the parking lot to the boat. I'd recommend calling their offices to discuss accessibility issues in advance.

Sitka -- This is a tender port and requires a walk up a ramp. The town is very walkable. You can also get a shuttle (look for the Tribal Tour shuttle busses) to get around town.

Embarkation -- We arrived at the pier shortly after 2 pm and found no line whatsoever.

Enjoy your cruise and your family!

I was on the princendam for the world cruise and I would definately rent a wheelchair before you get there. I would think about getting a riding scotter for your dad. They traveled very well in most places on the ship and off on land too. That way your dad will be fairly self sufficent as he goes on his way. They fold up nice under the busses too.

I have never been to alaska in person but in my dreams, well they say it is a great place. Just remember to have fun and let the staff help with mom and dad. They are terrific at it. susiesails

The Pools are not heated but I think there are hot tubs near the pools.

I have not been in your suites, but the location is convenient to the rear elevators which takes you to the dining room & Lido buffet; as well as the outdoor pool/deck area. I think you'll be happy with it.

Being from Seattle, I always recommend riding the commuter ferries. If you're not tired of being on the water, do this! The rates are reasonable (they only charge one way for walk-ons) and you'll get to see some of the Puget Sound towns. If you are sports fans, the football & baseball stadiums are near the waterfront and have tours. Seattle is beautiful and the Grayline Tours would show you a lot of it.

Lastly... it sounds like you're planning well and are prepared for everything. Now relax and enjoy your trip!

We were on the Westerdam in May. You and your family will love Alaska. For excursions, you may want to try the "Best of Juneau" tour. This tour has a Whale watching cruise, which was wonderful - we saw many whales, bald eagles and seals. Bring your camera! There is a short trip to the Mendenhall Glacier Visitor's Center by bus - you can walk around and take photos. From there you finish off your excursion with a salmon bake, which everyone enjoyed. There wasn't too much walking at any of these places, so your dad would probably be fine.

Try not to worry about anything - I know, this is easy for me to say. But remember, HAL is great and will do their best to accomodate any special needs you may have! Have a wonderful trip!:)

I am not a special needs passenger, but on HAL I always see a large number of passengers with special needs who get caring help and attention from the crew. They would not all keep coming back if the ships and staff were not accomodating.

We were on the Westerdam in June and had a great trip to Alaska. My DH is on coumadin and required an INR while on our cruise. (We do not self monitor) It was necessary to make an appointment with the ship's doctor which was easy to arrange the afternoon of embarkation. We found the infirmary on board to have modern facilities and the medical staff were very professional and helpful.

In your post I am not clear whether by communicate you mean with each other on board, or with folks at home. For on board communications many use two way radios or the more primitive method of placing notes for each other on post-its in your cabin. For communicating with those at home, in port in Alaska many of the cell phone services that have free long distance will work. HAL ships also have an internet cafe as well as wi-fi hot spots if you have your own laptop. There is a per minute charge for internet service but we find it works very well to keep in touch with those at home.

Above all, relax and have a great trip. There is no vacation like cruising, especially for someone in your circumstances. The ship is beautiful and I am sure that you will have a wonderful time.

Do post a report when you get back to let us know how it all went.

First of all, I love Alaska, I've been on 7 cruises there, all on HAL, which is why I moved here. You and your family will absolutly have a great time, and I hope you love it here.

I have cruised with my father, who also has trouble walking and uses a cane. It depends on how far he can walk on wither or not you want to rent a wheelchair, you might want to go ahead and get one. As it was said before, HAL is excellent when it comes to helping guests with disabilities, and they should be able to get you a wheelchair. I would call your TA and ask them to help arrange something for you so you definatly have one avalible.

As for the shore excursions, Holland America lists how much walking is involved on a rating scale, which you can find on their website. If you keep having trouble with the site I would suggest calling your TA and asking them, they will have a very good knowledge about all the shore excursions offered.

I always loved Kayaking, its a little physical activity but you're sitting down, and the guides are great and will stay behind with you if your slow, they don't leave you behind, and most of the people on the tour have little to no experience. Whale Watching is a favorite as well, my favorite company to go with is called Alan Marine, they know great spots, the guides are very knowledgable and friendly. Juneau or Sitka is a good place to do whale watching. In Juneau, we have a Tram which takes you up Mount Roberts to a little cultural station which is run by natives and you can learn all about the local Tlingit tribe. If you're in town on a clear day its a great place to go for an added view, if its not so clear that's alright, you might want to go up anyway to see the center. You can spend as much or as little time up there as you want. If you're interested don't book through the ship, the prices are way high. The best thing to do is step off the pier and buy tickets at the station, its cheaper, and you can't miss it it's right off the dock.

Two way radios are a good way to stay in touch, they work well on the ships.

I'm not sure if this is true in Seatle, but when I stayed a night before in Vancouver, in a hotel that was through HAL, you could check in, actually in the hotel, which made it easier, and if not, then depending on what time you try to get on the ship will determine how long the wait is, but there are always chairs around that your father or anyone else can sit in while you stand in line.

I hope I helped some if at all. Have fun, I hope you like Alaska.

for taking the time to respond. Your posts have been very helpful. I do think we will probably check into renting a wheelchair for my dad. I suspect it will be helpful at the airport as well, especially if we are running a tad behind as usual. DFW can be a nightmare in itself........dunno about the Seattle one.

And, yes, sorry I didn't make myself clear in my midnight ramblings, but the communication question was about onboard the ship. I want to be able to check up on my 13 year old, and I want my parents to be able to get hold of me if they need me. I'm thinking about a homing device for my 5 year old. :D

I'm leaning heavily toward sticking with HAL's excursion offerings because there are so many of us, and I am so afraid of getting delayed and the ship sailing on without us. (This almost happened to us on the Big Red Boat...........and my dad could still get around pretty good on that trip.) Are my fears unfounded? Will I regret it if we stick to just the ship's excursions? Any thoughts?

John, thanks, too, for the idea about calling Promech for the altitude. Will do. Alas, we aren't going to Skagway, just Glacier Bay, Juneau, Sitka, and Ketchikan.

Arzz, please tell me more about your husband's getting his INR checked on board. Did they use a Coagucheck (fingerpoke)? If we could check Katie's INR a couple of times during the voyage, we could probably forego taking her home tester. It doesn't take up that much room, but is one more thing to put in the carryon luggage. We don't normally check her INR that often, but I suspect her diet is going to way off from her normal intake of hotdogs and Beefaroni! :D I hate to ask such a personal question, but how much did it cost? If it's pricey, I guess we are back to taking her home tester.

Thank all of you so much. All of your posts have been very helpful. If you think of anything else, we will be around for another week, and your input is greatly valued. Thanks so much. Janet

I was on the princendam for the world cruise and I would definately rent a wheelchair before you get there. I would think about getting a riding scotter for your dad. They traveled very well in most places on the ship and off on land too. That way your dad will be fairly self sufficent as he goes on his way. They fold up nice under the busses too.

Sorry to ask a dumb question, but when you mention a riding scooter, I'm picturing this big cumbersome thing. Is there really something light and collapsible? Where would I go about doing a search for this? Thanks. J.

Yes, the scooters seem big and heavy, but they travel the gangways well if bummpy and I have seen them folded up and stored under the bus many times with seemingly ease by the bus drivers. This may be just the ticket to get your dad a bit more mobile for this dream vacation.

I had to laugh when i said a dream vacation, because cruising with HAl is so much more than that.

I would call some medical equipment and supplies companies. That is what I found them under in my yellow pages. I have no idea what they cost. susiesails

My mother used a scooter on her two cruises and had only minor problems with it. First cruise on the Zaandam had a HC suite and had plenty of room to get around with it in the suite. Second cruise on the Maasdam, had a smaller cabin to start with but upgraded on ship (big bucks) and had plenty of room again. Be sure to take an extention cord as power availability is limited.

My mother had her own scooter and we drove to the port, but others have mentioned renting. A quick search brought up scootaround, a company we considered using if we had to fly. Their site states --

Scootaround can deliver the scooter to your hotel, residence or cruise ship port. Remember to ask us about arrangements best suited to your convenience.

My experience with the crew is that they will handle any and all problems your father has was ease and propriety. They are quickly aware of the problems people have and will go the "extra mile" to ensure everyone has a great time.

Hope ya'll have a good trip and enjoy alaska.

for taking the time to respond. Your posts have been very helpful. I do think we will probably check into renting a wheelchair for my dad. I suspect it will be helpful at the airport as well, especially if we are running a tad behind as usual. DFW can be a nightmare in itself........dunno about the Seattle one.

And, yes, sorry I didn't make myself clear in my midnight ramblings, but the communication question was about onboard the ship. I want to be able to check up on my 13 year old, and I want my parents to be able to get hold of me if they need me. I'm thinking about a homing device for my 5 year old. :D

I'm leaning heavily toward sticking with HAL's excursion offerings because there are so many of us, and I am so afraid of getting delayed and the ship sailing on without us. (This almost happened to us on the Big Red Boat...........and my dad could still get around pretty good on that trip.) Are my fears unfounded? Will I regret it if we stick to just the ship's excursions? Any thoughts?

John, thanks, too, for the idea about calling Promech for the altitude. Will do. Alas, we aren't going to Skagway, just Glacier Bay, Juneau, Sitka, and Ketchikan.

Arzz, please tell me more about your husband's getting his INR checked on board. Did they use a Coagucheck (fingerpoke)? If we could check Katie's INR a couple of times during the voyage, we could probably forego taking her home tester. It doesn't take up that much room, but is one more thing to put in the carryon luggage. We don't normally check her INR that often, but I suspect her diet is going to way off from her normal intake of hotdogs and Beefaroni! :D I hate to ask such a personal question, but how much did it cost? If it's pricey, I guess we are back to taking her home tester.

Thank all of you so much. All of your posts have been very helpful. If you think of anything else, we will be around for another week, and your input is greatly valued. Thanks so much. Janet

I understand your fear of being left behind, but honestly, in my opinion, its much cheaper to do shore excursions when you get into port off the ship, there also might be more room on the excursions since HAL will book them for only a certain number of their guests. If it's filled up on the ship and its something you really want to do, I would go ahead and check them out at port. Plus all the tourist excursions understand you are on a ship and are very concious that you are on a schedual and do not want to be left behind. :) Have fun!

Another thing....since you are in a suite, you will have access to the Neptune Lounge and the concierge service. Most of the staff members who work in the lounge are very knowledgable about the shipboard operations and can probably help you work out any logistical problems you have once aboard. They can also help you with shore excursion bookings if you don't manage to get everything done before you get aboard and perhaps can offer some suggestions to make your cruise easier for all of your family members.

You asked about using the ship's excursions vs. independent reservations. I think if I were in your situation, I wouldn't hesitate to use the ship's excursions. When I was in Alaska I did make my reservations independently. But I had plenty of time to research, no physical limitations for either of us, and didn't have the stress of worrying about lots of other people. I also had a couple of them fall through....so independent isn't always better.

In your case, if one of your family members would have a problem on a ship's excursion, there should be someone available to help you get back to the ship. The people in Alaska are very nice people and I'm sure someone would give you a hand.....but they can't hold the ship for you. HAL's shore excursion people can.

You should have your travel documents by now which usually includes a shore excursion book. If there are any specific excursions you want and you can't get on the HAL website, you can call them and make reservations. Some of the more popular excursions sell out early.

Also as far as embarkation goes, I tend to agree with the poster who mentioned arriving at 2:00 pm and just walking on. Since the ships allow early boarding these days, a lot of people are there by 11:30 am, and for the first couple of hours it's pretty much a zoo.....especially if the boarding process is delayed. There are no guarantees, but usually if you wait until a little later in the afternoon, the rush is over and embarkation is much more orderly and leisurely.

Alaska is a beautiful place. There just doesn't seem to be enough time to see everything you want to see.....that's why most of us keep going back. We did a 10-day independent land trip and a 7-day southbound cruise two years ago, and last year we did an inside passage/west coast cruise. In two more years we're going back for a couple more weeks and maybe another cruise.

Your family is going to have a wonderful vacation. You have lovely shipboard accommodations, a helpful cruise staff, and an amazing destination. Take a deep breath and try to relax.

Boy, do I sound like a broken record. :D John, thanks for the website. I just e-mailed them with several questions including the altitude one, so hopefully they will get back sometime tomorrow during sane people's hours. :D

And yeah, who can relax? I still have to pack, get the mail held at two houses, get the newspapers stopped, notify the alarm company, get my ex to sign a notarized letter saying my son can leave the country, check into a wheelechair or scooter rental, study for a major test I have to take four days after we get back, book a Seattle hotel for one night post-cruise, meet with the surveyor on some land we are buying, call my daughter's ped cardiologist once we get the altitude thing answered and make sure she doesn't need oxygen for her flight, sometime in there book excursions, and then find someone to babysit Spike, the bearded dragon, and MooMoo, the beta fish..............sigh! Yes, I promise I will relax once we are on board the ship.............:D

Thanks so much again. Hugs. J.

Scootaround can deliver the scooter to your hotel, residence or cruise ship port. Remember to ask us about arrangements best suited to your convenience.

Hope ya'll have a good trip and enjoy alaska.

for researching that for me. I will check them out. Hugs. J.

On another thread, someone mentioned seasickness. I didn't think this was an issue anymore on these bigger ships, or is it? Thanks again. J.

The inside passage is really smooth. The only time you might encounter seasickness is when you hit the open ocean, but on the big ships you don't notice it unless its a lot of motion.

Hi, i, too, can not walk very far so i have rented a electric scooter for my upcomming cruise. Your TA, or Hals customer service might be able to help you rent one. If you rent it it it will be in your cabin waiting for you and when you disembark just leave in the room.

I am sure the cost varies but i am paying $265 for the ten day cruise an know it will be worth every penny of it. I went on a four day on Carnival a year and a half ago and was in misery the whole time on shore. To much walking. I understand if you have to be tendered you can not take the scooter. They are narrow enough to go through the doorways on the ship so no worry there either. I hope this helps and have fun and relax if possible. Abby

The inside passage is really smooth. The only time you might encounter seasickness is when you hit the open ocean, but on the big ships you don't notice it unless its a lot of motion.

I was hoping that was the case! But what about the smaller boats used for the whale watching? Anyone gone who's in the know? Thanks again. J.

Hi, i, too, can not walk very far so i have rented a electric scooter for my upcomming cruise. Your TA, or Hals customer service might be able to help you rent one. If you rent it it it will be in your cabin waiting for you and when you disembark just leave in the room.

I am sure the cost varies but i am paying $265 for the ten day cruise an know it will be worth every penny of it. I went on a four day on Carnival a year and a half ago and was in misery the whole time on shore. To much walking. I understand if you have to be tendered you can not take the scooter. They are narrow enough to go through the doorways on the ship so no worry there either. I hope this helps and have fun and relax if possible. Abby

Did you have a handicapped room or were you able to manage it in a regular room? Who did you use to rent yours? Is there room to stick a five year old on there, too? J/Kidding! I'll have to check into this. Thanks. J.

Archived