Florence

kronbel

We are on the Celebrity Galaxy to the Mediterranean in August. We are going to do Florence on our own...does anyone know a reliable source for getting tickets to the Uffizi and Accademia museums?

UPDATE: Oooops, I misread your question, so ignore my post ;)

Hi, we too are on the Galaxy in August.

Please be aware of the risk going to Florence on your own. It's a pretty big distance to get there. There are a lot things that can go wrong and you'll miss the ship.

We were in Florence 2 years ago and saw a big accident at the highway to Pisa. When you have that bad luck, your cruise will end there.

I'm european citizen and I want to let you know that Italy does NOT have a reliable transportsystem and infrastructure. Yes, there are a lot of people who did this on their own and had no problems at all. If things go wrong on the way back, you have a big problem.

Book a shiptour (Pise/Florence on your own) and enjoy this beautiful day! ;)

I was in Rome 6 times last year on business and travelled by train 3 times from Rome to other parts of Italy and never had a problem. As far as I can tell it seems most train strikes are announced in advance. If by any chance there is a surprise strike then just be prepared to hire a taxi or private driver to return you to port or make sure you have the bus schedule.

I just came back...be aware there was a strike in Rome which really messed up the traffic...a few people who did non-ship tours almost missed the ship.. In Venice the water taxis were having some kind of problem, so the only thing you could do was to use the Celebrity shuttle boat..which stopped before midnight..

Please be aware of the risk going to Florence on your own. It's a pretty big distance to get there. There are a lot things that can go wrong and you'll miss the ship.

We were in Florence 2 years ago and saw a big accident at the highway to Pisa. When you have that bad luck, your cruise will end there. I'm european citizen and I want to let you know that Italy does NOT have a reliable transportsystem and infrastructure. Yes, there are a lot of people who did this on their own and had no problems at all. If things go wrong on the way back, you have a big problem.

Book a shiptour (Pise/Florence on your own) and enjoy this beautiful day! ;)

I agree. We did the ship tour, got there in plenty of time and had more than enough time to walk around and see everything. It was much more pleasureable knowing we were not worring about making it back on time.

I called the accademia and reserved tickets by phone -- you get a reservation # and pay when you arrive. The only thing I saw on line were places that required a service fee. You could find the number on the Europe boards or one of Rick Steve's books.

We are on the Celebrity Galaxy to the Mediterranean in August. We are going to do Florence on our own...does anyone know a reliable source for getting tickets to the Uffizi and Accademia museums?

These tickets frequently sell out well in advance. Be sure to book early.

Archived