Our boat caught fire on the way back!!!

momof4boys

It is true friends. We booked the 10:15 Stingray Sand bar tour through Carnival. The morning had been very stormy and the 8am trip cancelled. It was a little overcast when we started but no lightening or even rain and by the time we arrived on the sand bar it was beautiful!!!!. The trip was a blast. Our group of 13 got to feed and pet the stingrays. Some even gave the beautiful animal a kiss.

We headed back and were planning on some shopping (we had no time in Jamaica to shop so we definetly wanted to shop) My friend and I were going to the top of the boat to view our pictures when our boat slowed and one of the guys pushed us out of the way and yelled to the captain to stop the boat. He said the engine was on fire. We looked over the side to the lowere level and they were passing out the yellow snorkel float jackets. We hurried down and got the rest of the story from the others in our group.

A little boy near us had very bad sea sickness. * WARNING.....take motion sickness medicine BEFORE you ight get sick. It does very little good if you are already sick. * This little boy had been laying on a big box used for extra seating (big enough for about 8 people to sit on), next to my DH. The boy's dad picked his son up, and ran to one of the excursion guys saying the area was getting hot. All of a sudden my sons and DH saw smoke coming from the area. They raised the lid and flames were coming from the engine. They grabbed three fire extinguishers and put our the fire. Of course our boat was stranded. Once we knew we were OK, we laughed and were signing the old Gilligan Island song..."A three hour tour". We were trying to keep our kid's spirits ok and lighten the mood. (Some people were actually mad and yelling at the poor boat guys!...Like they had planned this!!!)

Any way the first boat that came to our aid was another tour boat called......SEA FIRE! Which caused our group to again laugh histically! WE have pictures to proved this too!. That boat was too full of people to tow us so we sat for a while.

Many tours boats came by and people were taking pictures of us. Then Captain Byron's or Bryans' came by and towed us un. WE all applauded him. However, he could not get us into the dock. So we sat for a while longer. Next a big boat came and pushed us against the "parking lot" area---part grass part concrete. Half of the people got into that boat. The rest of us climbed out onto a "parking area" to wait for some busses. WE got on an OLD school bus and headed back.

SInce we were very late, I asked the driver if he would mind letting us off at Senior Frogs. (Usually they have to take you back to the point of getting on the tour but since by this time....things were a bit different) He said sure! When he let us off (our group of 13) the entire bus unloaded and joined us!!! We have laughed and laughed. Our new mantra is any excursion that gets you back alive is a good excursion. We have also laugheed that we did not even get charged extra for all the excitement!

Thanks Captain Byran for saving us and thanks for the great memories!!!

:)

Our new mantra is any excursion that gets you back alive is a good excursion. :)

This is soooooooooo true since I'm still recovering from fracturing my ribs on the waverunners in Labadee last week and having our (and 3 others) aqua boats break and leave us stranded in Grand Caymen we too will adopt the same mantra:) .

OMG...did not think of it that way!!! Hilarious. I posted a picture of the smoldering fire on the Carnival board under "Just returned from the Conquest." We did not have the camera out for the flames. Smoke will have to do!:eek:

We need more people like you in the world!!!! Good for you for adopting a positive attitude! I am an avid scrapbooker and those are the kind of events that will make you laugh for years to come. Can't wait to hear about your next adventure;)

Archived