Help/Advise, PLEASE!!

Hi, everyone. I've been cruising these boards for a few weeks, and I have a question for you.

I've become recently engaged (not my first wedding, as I am in my late 30's). I would LOVE to be married at sea (I'm thinking Princess Cruises). My fiance is all for it too.

What's the problem? His mother refuses to cruise. This is his first wedding, and he is the only son, so I feel that it is important for her to be at the ceremony.

The other kicker is that we live on the East Coast, and she lives in the midwest, so SOMEONE is going to have to travel for the wedding. She says she is willing to come to our homes for a wedding, but she feels that cruising is something she does not want to do.

She is also saying that we are welcome to continue with our cruise plans without her (she's being honest), and to videotape it for her so she can see it, but I feel really bad about this.

Opinions, please!

Hi, everyone. I've been cruising these boards for a few weeks, and I have a question for you.

I've become recently engaged (not my first wedding, as I am in my late 30's). I would LOVE to be married at sea (I'm thinking Princess Cruises). My fiance is all for it too.

What's the problem? His mother refuses to cruise. This is his first wedding, and he is the only son, so I feel that it is important for her to be at the ceremony.

The other kicker is that we live on the East Coast, and she lives in the midwest, so SOMEONE is going to have to travel for the wedding. She says she is willing to come to our homes for a wedding, but she feels that cruising is something she does not want to do.

She is also saying that we are welcome to continue with our cruise plans without her (she's being honest), and to videotape it for her so she can see it, but I feel really bad about this.

Opinions, please!

In most cases you can get married, and have a reception on board the ship, on the day of departure at the port of departure.

Your MIL could travel to NY if you picked a cruise from there/from that area.

You can also invite everyone to join you on the cruise OR simply attend the ceremony and reception.

Contact the cruiseline you want to go with to determine specifics.

congrats and happy sailing!

I am in the same situation however it is my finances grandmother who is not game for the whole idea. She absolutely refuses to fly and to spend 2 1/2 days in the car driving. I understand completely that this is a really hard decision to make. An option for Princess is to do a live webcam of the wedding. I think we are going to do this because co workers and family who aren't able to come will still be able to see our vows live. The other thing we may end up doing because my family is very religious is to have a small ceremony at the church after we return. I know she will still miss the big thng, but sometimes you really have to do what is good for you and the groom and hopefully she will realize how important it is to you both and make a compromise. It is her son. Sometimes people lose sight of what weddings are all about. It isn't about the cake or the dress or your bouquet, it is about you and your fiance making a commitment to eachother and having the support of those who love you in your decision. I hope this helps.

We had the same situation ourselves, This seemed to work out in the end, as we are having the ceremony on the ship before departure in San Juan and then my future MIL will fly in to San Juan for the weekend and then fly back home after we sail. ITs the same for us second marriage for me first for him and the baby boy of the family.

For the family members that would miss this we are having a pre- reception party for them 2 weeks prior to sailing. all bases are covered. Afterwards we get back from the cruise and enjoy life with no more party worries....

Congrats on your wedding! My boyfriend and I are in the beginning stages of planning an "atsea" wedding. But I know that this is already causing conflict with family memebers that dont really want to spend the money to cruise. What I recommend it that your MIL fly to where the ship leaves from and she can board the ship for the cermony. Once the cermony and reception is complete see can go on her merry way! Hope this helps. Its your day and you do whatever makes the two of you happy!

We're doing the wedding in port thing so that we can have family and friends there who can't cruise with us. I think it's the best compromise and I felt that it was very important that we made it as easy as possible so that everyone who wanted to come could reasonably make it. Of course, we're very fortunate to live only an hour and a half from Galveston wo that made it easy, but if your future MIL would have to travel anyway I think the closest port would be a great choice.

The best thing is that if you have the wedding on embarkation day, you don't miss any of your cruise- you just board the ship early, have your ceremony and reception, then your non-sailing guests leave the ship an hour before you sail. After our reception we won't have to go anywhere at all except upstairs to our cabin- we'll immediately be on our honeymoon!!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Archived