shoes and the cruise

okay, so I know the ships have stabalizers on them to help keep the boat from a rockin. But I've also read a multitude of posts where the stabalizers weren't working that well, or where the seas were just to rough that no matter what you got some good sway.

So../.

how much sway are we talkin? I've never cruised. I don't often wear high heels, but I was planning to for the formal and semi-formal nights.

but..

Am I gonna fall on my butt:eek: trying to walk in them on a swaying ship?

How bout if I get a bit tipsy? Then am I in for it? (I've never been drunk in my life, so that's not what I'm talking about.. I'm honestly talking about 2 drink-tipsy).

~ail

thanks for answering my silly question!

I take heels AND flats, just in case!!!.. if its really rough, I resort to the flats..however, if you're wearing a long dress or gown and need the heels , just hang onto the railing as you walk :)..better than tripping on the hem..

Most of the time, you will be OK wearing high heels inside the ship (high heels are never recommended on deck, better choose a rubber sole, low heel on deck).

However, if the waves are very high one night, I would recommend low heel anywhere around the ship, even with your evening gown. I know it's not the look you are looking for on formal night but better wear low heel that get injured to look at your best.

When I was on the Dawn, the waves were very high the first night (15 ft I guess) but I was lucky, since we were leaving from New York I didn't think strappy sandals were the best option that night and I was wearing closed casual flat shoes with rubber sole (I didn't want to bring shoes that would take up too much room in my suitcase and they looked ok with my black pants and chinese top). Even with those shoes, I had some trouble walking around (there is no hand rail in the dinning rooms or other public space but they do help in the hallways). I don't think I could have walked with my high heels on, I would probably have to remove them.

Your post made me think and I think next cruise I will bring a small pair of socks in my purse any night I wear high heels and I think the seas can get rough. If the seas get rough, I will really have to remove my high heels (I would only remove them to get to my cabin to change shoes, I would not remove them and walk around the ship all night). If I walk with my shoes in my hand and short socks on, I'm sure people will understand that it's due to rough seas and I hope not to get any ''look'' and if they do give me a look, I don't care because I think safety first (I work in the petroleum construction industry and safety always have to go first, I think it's a good way of thinking in all areas of my life).

I have never had a problem wearing heels and I have done a rough trans-pacific cruise. What about wearing a lower heel (i.e., 1 1/2" to 2")? You will be more stable in them if you don't really wear heels and they are usually very comfortable. On cruises I tend to pick shoes more for comfort than anything since you do so much walking on a ship.

The seas were rough from the night we left Cozumel to the time we arrived back in Tampa (essentially one full day). It wasn't formal night so I had my wedge sandals and I was fine. It was just kind of difficult to figure out how to walk with the ship. We'd start out walking in the middle of the hallway and end up on either side of it. But if all else fails, you can always slip your shoes off until you get more comfortable walking I guess.

If the seas do get rough, what we found is that you have to find a place relatively midship where you can see the ocean or else a place where you can see the ocean and feel the air...It made us feel better and less dizzy.

I have never had a problem wearing heels and I have done a rough trans-pacific cruise. What about wearing a lower heel (i.e., 1 1/2" to 2")? You will be more stable in them if you don't really wear heels and they are usually very comfortable. On cruises I tend to pick shoes more for comfort than anything since you do so much walking on a ship.

I agree, 1-2'' heel shouldn't be a problem (2'' stilleto maybe a problem IMHO), I was talking about 3.5-5'' high heels. Those would NOT be recommended (although my 5'' heel are probably the best in this category since they have a chunkier heel than my 3.5-4'' heels and it makes them more stable).

I wear heels - 3- 3.5" on all our cruises, but always bring a pair of dressy flats "just in case". If the sea's are very rough - which is rare - there is often an announcement that women shouldn't wear high heels.

On one of my cuises, the sea's were so rough for the first 2 days that only half the people made it to the dining room because of sea sickness. DH and I were fine, but the poor waiters carrying trays of food. They really earned their tips!

The shows were cancelled because it was dangerous for performers. Walking in the hallways was weird as the floor could temporarily drop 6 inches as you walked. You'd have to be an idiot to wear high heels in a situation like that!

I wear heels - 3- 3.5" on all our cruises, but always bring a pair of dressy flats "just in case". If the sea's are very rough - which is rare - there is often an announcement that women shouldn't wear high heels.

On one of my cuises, the sea's were so rough for the first 2 days that only half the people made it to the dining room because of sea sickness. DH and I were fine, but the poor waiters carrying trays of food. They really earned their tips!

The shows were cancelled because it was dangerous for performers. Walking in the hallways was weird as the floor could temporarily drop 6 inches as you walked. You'd have to be an idiot to wear high heels in a situation like that!

Jane, it sounds like you and I could have been on the same cruise! We did a transatlantic a couple of years ago and it was really rough. They did cancel shows and the crystals from the lights in the theatre were falling off. They had to rope off several rows of seats for the balance of the trip. They did tell women not to wear high heels. Stabilizers or not, it was a wild ride!

--Judy

The biggest obstacle I thought were the open riser stairs. I took my high heeled (3") shoes off & walked bare foot on the carpet.

Actually when I was tipsy, walking was easier. The boat swayed one way; I swayed the other. It felt like I was walking normally. :rolleyes:

My kids and I sailed on Carnival Glory last year in September from Port Canaveral. We literaly sailed around the edge of Hurricane Rita, and went through seas that were easily 25 to 30 foot waves. It was an awesome experience, and we never once worried about our safety as we knew Carnival would take care of her ship, and thus, her passengers. No seasickness either.

Anyway, our cruise director saif the only ones walking straight were the drunks! It was funny to watch everyone sway side to side, but I wore my heels to dinner with no problems. On the deck, however, I wore sneakers or flats because the decks were a little wet from the mist. Bottom line...wear your heels, look fantastic, and remember - a cruise is one place where you don't need to do a lot of worrying. Happy cruising!

Bottom line...wear your heels, look fantastic, and remember - a cruise is one place where you don't need to do a lot of worrying. Happy cruising!

I agree with this for most sailings but if your heels means you fall and hurt yourself, I'm not sure you will look fantastic and not worry for the rest of the cruise. :D

If you don't think you can walk straight because of the rough seas, better be safe than sorry.

I take heels AND flats, just in case!!!.. if its really rough, I resort to the flats..however, if you're wearing a long dress or gown and need the heels , just hang onto the railing as you walk :)..better than tripping on the hem..

;) most definitely ....

First these boards are evil when it comes to shoes. I used to only take one pair for formal night. I am now up to two extra pair and eyeballing number three for just in case.

Heels are difficult in rough water, remember the halls do have hand rails. If the outside deck is wet, I would not attempt at all in heels if the ship is rough.

I have solved the problem of shoes on board for evenings.......a great pair of wedge (less than 2") sandals that have a little bling and can be worn with jeans, dressy dress or just a skirt...........wedges give you a little height and are stable to walk with...................and saves lots of space in the suitcase for other things..............

Crazyred

Archived