Warning/Beware.....My dh and ds took the canopy tour in P.V.

Suburban Drudgery

and booked it thru the ship. They bought the DVD of the tour (of them on it) and we got a blank DVD. I called the company in Mexico and they said they would send another and never did.:mad:

Did you try flipping the disc over?:D

Contact them again, get their mailing address, and send a self-addressed stamped envelope.

If they make a new DVD for each tour, it is possible they won't still have a copy of your tour and you will just be out of luck.

I would not count on getting any money back from a third-world business! Just a bit of bad luck there, sorry to hear it.

and booked it thru the ship. They bought the DVD of the tour (of them on it) and we got a blank DVD. I called the company in Mexico and they said they would send another and never did.:mad:

I know that you would prefer to have the DVD for the memory but if you are not successful in getting it replaced contact Carnival. Let them know what happened and I think they may at least return the cost of the DVD (not possitive but it seems reasonable).

That's a bummer. If you want to send something in writing, the Customer Relations address is:

Carnival Cruise Lines

Carnival Place

3655 NW 87 Avenue

Miami, Fl. 33178-2428

Good luck getting this resolved.

What tour company did you do? We booked off the ship, had a great time, and got our DVD. Ours had us on it alright, but everyone else too, we were not on it much, a little disappointed, but still have a great memory. I do know the owner of the one we went on is an American business man, we met him. And the manager, Sylvie, was great. If that sounds familiar, try and contact her directly

What tour company did you do? We booked off the ship, had a great time, and got our DVD. Ours had us on it alright, but everyone else too, we were not on it much, a little disappointed, but still have a great memory. I do know the owner of the one we went on is an American business man, we met him. And the manager, Sylvie, was great. If that sounds familiar, try and contact her directly

I think you are referring to Los Des Vernos which is an independent tour and not a ship excursion. Hubby and oldest son did it in March and loved it. They did not buy the DVD, but had a great time at a much lower price than the ship was charging for their zipline tours!! I think they saved about $50 each if I remember correctly.

When you do something that should be especially memorable, and pay to get it videoed, and then find out there is a problem, it's beyond annoying. However, I don't know that the contractor who did the tour is necessarily completely in the wrong.

It sounds like it was probably a video transfer problem. I've run into them at my dropzone when the DVD's of people's sky-dive abruptly end up not there. The DVD writer goofed or didn't load the disc correctly. Believe me, when it's video of someone's first jump out of an airplane, to not have the video proof they can get QUITE irrate. I'd take the disk under the light and try to see the "shadow" area and see how much of the disk is filled. If it looks like the "shadow" indicates something is there, your DVD may be there and a friend with a computer and a DVD drive (and software) may be able to rescue it and fix it. Or, it's possible, that they put the wrong DVD in case.

That said, if the recording process for the contractor is anything like it is for sky-diving, after you've left they don't have the digital of your excursion anymore. They can't replace it. They also can't give you a refund, because you didn't pay them. Carnival did, and you paid Carnival. The refund would need to come through Carnival. I'd suggest writing a letter to guest relations (someone mentioned the address earlier) and pursuing it that way. I'd also suggest being as calm and polite about the problem as possible. There is no doubt that this was an accidental slip-up, and I suspect if approached politely, something can be done.

Just some thoughts.

FurryCruiser

I agree with the others, with coustomer service these days, anywhere, it may take several phone calls. Also try a post on these boards as well as others for others that may have been in your group that ordered the DVD and may be willing to burn a copy for you. Good luck, how disapointing:mad:

I had a similar experience almost 2 years ago with the cruise excursion. I waited and waited for my DVD, but it didn't arrive. I e-mailed the company from the address on the receipt, and didn't get a reply. So, I e-mailed RCI (after all, it was a cruise excursion), and I did end up getting replies and my DVD arrived shortly thereafter.

This type of cautionary message is great but it can do more harm than good if you don't tell us the name of the company that ran the excursion. There are three canopy tours running in the Vallarta area and you do the other two companies a disservice with your broad statement in the message title.

Vallarta Adventures is the company that normally contracts with the cruise ship industry for the canopy tour in Vallarta and I'm sure they would like to maintain that exclusive contract. I suggest, as the others have, you contact Carnival and have them fight with the tour operator to get a working copy of the DVD.

As a side note ... I did the Vallarta Adventures canopy tour in 2004 (bought the DVD) and did the Los Veranos canopy tour in 2005. They are two very different excursions and I enjoyed both of them.

I think you are referring to Los Des Vernos which is an independent tour and not a ship excursion. Hubby and oldest son did it in March and loved it. They did not buy the DVD, but had a great time at a much lower price than the ship was charging for their zipline tours!! I think they saved about $50 each if I remember correctly.

The OP said it was an excursion from the ship, the ships do not use Los Vernos they use Vallarta Adventures. Why would you mention that your husband and son had a great time and had no problems with them and then respond to OP saying it must be Los Vernos. Give credit where credit is due, I have heard some people say that Vallarta Adventures was NOT good and tried the other and had a great time.

dont count on the cruise line really helping you out -- we bought a watch on the ship and it needed what i thought was a minor repair and i ttried a number of shops without luck --- since i bought it on the ship i contacted them and was told that they are concessionaires and the cruise line has nothing to do with them -- did get their address etc and after many months of communication we did finally get the watch replaced

have only ordered a dvd once from capt marvins in the caymans showing our stingray encounter -- sent to us intact and viewable

If you booked through the cruise ship, your tour was with Vallarta Adventures, and that is who you need to contact about your video. It is very common for people to not get their videos they paid for with Vallarta Adventures, particularly cruise passengers and people who are leaving town the following day. I had this happen to me, and only got the video after two months of harrassing them, and we WORK WITH THEM. Lot of leverage, huh?

Here is what you need to do to get your video (the ship will be of no help since they only sold you the excursion, not the video):

Call Vallarta Adventures directly at 1-888-333-3105 toll-free from the U.S. or 01 [322] 297-1212 ext. 443 from outside the U.S. You can also e-mail them at videos@vallarta-adventures.com, though I have not yet received a reply from any e-mail I've sent them.

Tell them if you don't receive your video within a reasonable amount of time that you will chargeback your credit card for the video (you did pay with a credit card, I hope?). Keep harassing them until you receive what you paid for.

On that subject, whenever purchasing things like this in Mexico, I strongly advise the use of a credit card whenever possible. The reason is that if you get scammed, or if you don't get what you pay for like this, then you have no recourse if you pay cash. You're out the money. If you use a card, you can chargeback and get your money back if you got scammed. Same goes for buying excursions from stands or beach vendors - ask yourself why they only accept cash for what can be quite large amounts?

• 2 weeks later...
This type of cautionary message is great but it can do more harm than good if you don't tell us the name of the company that ran the excursion. There are three canopy tours running in the Vallarta area and you do the other two companies a disservice with your broad statement in the message title.

Vallarta Adventures is the company that normally contracts with the cruise ship industry for the canopy tour in Vallarta and I'm sure they would like to maintain that exclusive contract. I suggest, as the others have, you contact Carnival and have them fight with the tour operator to get a working copy of the DVD.

As a side note ... I did the Vallarta Adventures canopy tour in 2004 (bought the DVD) and did the Los Veranos canopy tour in 2005. They are two very different excursions and I enjoyed both of them.

Could You explain more about the two very different Canopy Tours?

Thanks,

We went on de Los Veranos and bought the DVD - it was wonderful! I would have been really bummed if we had gotten home and it was blank!

Funny thing, on the main message board, I posted a mini review of the Pride and the excursions we took with a link to my cruise pictures. Another poster answered that she and her hubby had been behind my hubby and son on the tour. She said she hadn't bought the DVD, but now kind of regretted it. I told her to e-mail me if she wanted me to burn a copy for her, and I did so - she was thrillied! As a last resort, you might try to find someone through CC that was on the same tour who bought the DVD.

Good luck, and I hope you get that DVD somehow, some way! ;)

OP HERE....UPDATE!!! I called the company directly. I got the phone number via internet. I told them the DVD did not work. The lady said she would send another one. I was VERY POLITE AND NICE. I even spoke a little spanish for good faith.

I did email Carnival but they have no relations to this company. They book the tours but nothing to do with the DVD's.

I got a new DVD in the mail Friday. I was shocked. It had been 1 month since I called the company in Mexico. The DVD worked. They came threw. Maybe because I was super nice on the phone to the mexican lady. Who knows. So all worked out. :D

Could You explain more about the two very different Canopy Tours?

Thanks,

The "original" style canopy tour was designed as an echo tour of the forest canopy. Lines went from tree top-to-tree top. Platforms are built around the tree trunks. Participants go from platform to platform and typically decend from the last platform with a rappel to the forest floor.

The other "canopy" tours in the Vallarta area have the majority of their lines span a river valley with participants starting and ending most lines at a ground station. The lines are longer and higher due to the 'V' shape of the valley. More thrill ride than echo tour.

There are three established canopy tour outfits in the Vallatra area.

These are: Vallarta Adventures- http://www.vallarta-adventures.com/canopy-tour/index.html

Los Veranos- http://www.canopytours-vallarta.com/

El Eden- http://www.canopyeleden.com.mx/

Johann & Sandra report a new company has just started operations withing the last few months. I don't know much about them.

Vallarta Adventures is the company that contracts with the cruise ship industry, the others are independents.

Enjoy!

The "original" style canopy tour was designed as an echo tour of the forest canopy. Lines went from tree top-to-tree top. Platforms are built around the tree trunks. Participants go from platform to platform and typically decend from the last platform with a rappel to the forest floor.

The other "canopy" tours in the Vallarta area have the majority of their lines span a river valley with participants starting and ending most lines at a ground station. The lines are longer and higher due to the 'V' shape of the valley. More thrill ride than echo tour.

There are three established canopy tour outfits in the Vallatra area.

These are: Vallarta Adventures- http://www.vallarta-adventures.com/canopy-tour/index.html

Los Veranos- http://www.canopytours-vallarta.com/

El Eden- http://www.canopyeleden.com.mx/

Johann & Sandra report a new company has just started operations withing the last few months. I don't know much about them.

Vallarta Adventures is the company that contracts with the cruise ship industry, the others are independents.

Enjoy!

Paul is correct. Johann & Sandra mentioned this new tour to me a few days ago. I tried to find a link directly to Rio Cuale Canopy Tour and can't, but there is a link with info on Johann & Sandra's website. I tried to paste it on, but couldn't. Their company is Puerto Vallarta Tours, so you can do a search.

The price is certainly competitve with the others. It is also interesting to note their maximum weight limit is higher than the other three. Based on several previous posts I've read, that was an issue for some.

Archived