First Cruise questions

chefmikki

Hey everyone!! I just made my final payment and it's 80 days until the cruise. :) :)

I am going on the Glory departing Cape Canaveral on September 30th. Going to Nassau, St. Marrten, and St. Thomas. Please tell me about my ship and what I should do at the ports.

Any tips??

I am getting all exited about the trip again. We started at 210 days and are finaly in the final strech of things.

Thanks all.

Chefmikki

We are on the final countdown for our first cruise. All I can say is keep reading these boards.(watch out though..it's addicting!!) You will find so much information here on these boards!:) I know I have learned so much and I am so excited that I am about to explode:eek: :eek: ! Our final month!!!!:D :D

We have not done the Glory yet, but have been on the Conquest - her sister ship.

Tips for your first cruise....

1. Relax and take a deep breath.

2. I usually take $50 in one dollar bills to tip the room service. All of the room service is already included in your cruise, except the dollar or two (depending on how much we order).

3. There will only be one electrical outlet, so I suggest you take a multi-plug extention cord.

4. All the standard rooms are basically the same size (inside and window rooms). You don't spend much time in them anyway...so don't sweat it if you don't have a suite. Surprisingly, the rooms on the bottom get less "motion" that those higher up. But none of them will give you much of a problem. You can pick up some Bonine at Walmart and take one every morning (like I do) just as a precaution if you think you will have any motion sickness problems.

5. There will be a door hanger menu that you can put on your door at night with the selected items and the time you would like to have them delivered the next morning. I love doing this. Every morning I awake to the sounds "room service" and in they walk with my coffee and bagels (and cream cheese). I put out a couple of dollars where I can easily reach them in my sleepy haze the night before, so I am ready when they knock. You can't get a full "hot" breakfast..but you can get fruit, cereal, bagels, danish etc. Just be sure to order "everything" you need. If you want cereal and milk, you have to mark both separately.

6. Warning, the scrambled eggs on Lido are powdered. But they will make you an omelet from scratch. You can also have breakfast in the formal dining room (no dress code other than no swim suits for breakfast and lunch) at your appointed time.

7. To really help the waiters out, if you have the 5:45pm or 8:15pm dining seating...be on time. 5 minutes late won't kill them, but some folks waltz in 30 minutes late and that is just inconsiderate of the staff that is trying to serve you in a timely manner. When ordering your meal from the menu, you can have any and everything you want. 2 entrees, no problem.. 4 desserts, no problem. Of course, don't just be wasteful. But know that you have the freedom to eat whatever you want. If you get an entree that is just not to your liking. Don't hesitate. Nicely tell the waiter..."you know, I made a mistake ordering this, can you please bring me xyz?"

8. If you like expressos and "cappis" , there will be a Starbucks (or similar) counter that costs you extra. However, you can order them for free after your evening meal to do with your dessert....or by themselves if you don't want dessert.

9. I take a small (99 cent) solid odorizer for the bathroom...just in case.

10. I try to take my time and actually visualize what I will be wearing each day as I pack, so that I don't forget accessories. I lay it all out on the bed (complete with the shoes I will need for each outfit).

11. If you are taking more than one suitcase, divide your clothing equally among the suitcases. For example, his and hers Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday in one and Thursday, Friday, Saturday in another. That way if one suitcase gets lost...you still have some full clothing for each of you. And pack your swimsuits in your carryon if you think you want to "lay out" when you first get on the ship. It can take several hours for all the luggage to arrive at the rooms. That is why the first night is casual in the formal dining room. Everyone's luggage does not always get there before their dinner seating.

12. When you get to St Maarten, there is a beach right there at the ship or you can venture out safely.

13. Taxis are everywhere in St Thomas. Don't be afraid that you will get somewhere and won't be able to get back. Yes, the taxis do take American money. Coki Beach if you like snorkeling. Megan's Beach if you like "beaching".

14. Go to the Ports of Call and read everything about each port you will stopping at..so that you can decide what you want to do there. We took ship excursions when we first started cruising as a family. We no longer use ship excursions, because we have traveled so much. However, if you (or your spouse) is going to stress over missing the ship or being safe...spend the extra money for the ship excursion. No amount of money saved is worth not having a good time because you are worried about something. Everyone has a different level of comfort when traveling. Recognize what yours is and go with it.

15. Last, but the most important, do not forget to pack the most valuable asset you will need for this trip. A good attitude. Travelers know to "roll with the flow". If it rains all day in St Thomas, where you wanted to "beach in the sun"....that's life. If you get a piece of fish that doesn't taste good, order something else. I always say that unless the ship sinks I will have a great time. And even if the ship sinks and no one is hurt and they give me enough perks for my trouble, I will still have a great time.

16. The Spa area has saunas that are free. The only thing in the Spa that costs extra are amenities that require staff (manicures, massages etc). Don't be afraid to explore.

Happy Cruising!!

Hi,

I sailed the Glory 5/6/06 - Western Caribbean. The crew will probably be different by the time you sail. The ship is beautiful and spotless. Our crew was friendly and efficient. From reading these boards I brought a power strip with me and it was a life saver. Also, the hair dryer works, but you have to hold the button down all the time so you may want to bring your own. The only other things I wish I had (and will bring on my next cruise in Sept) is a clock and a night light. I hate waking up in the middle of the night and not know what time it is and it's so dark in the cabin that turning on the bright bathroom lights really woke me up.

We were on the Spa deck with the floor to ceiling windows and it was just beautiful. I can't say enough good things about this ship. You will have a blast!

That was soooooooooooooo nice LHP. Oh how I wish someone had given me such great advise back when we took our first cruise back in the dark (70's) ages. This board is the greatest thing to ever happen to cruising. It's very obvious that ALL of the cruise lines read it religiously and take many of the things mentioned very seriously. Again, just a note of appreciation to you for being so nice and considerate.:) :)

I was on the Glory last Labor Day with the same itinerary...

beautiful ship...HUGE...but beautiful...everyone is so friendly...from the cabin stewards to the people working in the bar...

All the ports were lovely...a little disappointed in Nassau...but that was just me...just didn't care for it...maybe it was because it was a dismal day...:( ...

but all the islands were beautiful...St. Thomas and St. Maarten...I loved...ended up renting a driver on St. Maarten who drove us around the island wonderful host...even went back to take my friend back to a place we visited without charging her extra because she forgot her camera....Went to a nudist beach on the French side (for those who don't know...the ship docks on the Dutch side and the other side is own by the French.:) .) ......

The cruise director on the Glory if it is still the same person is Mark (someone who has been on recently would be able to tell you if he is still the cruise director)....he knew his stuff...and knew how we wanted to be entertain....

The Glory has a daily game for all of its guests where they divide the ship into three colors; Red, White and Blue....I still haven;t figure out how they award points.....it kind of reminds me of that TV show Drew Carey used to have with the other comedians and he gives them points for different things that you have no idea why...

anyway..enough about my rambling...

go have a good time and you come back and give us your version/opinion on how great a time you had!!!:)

Millie

That was soooooooooooooo nice LHP. Oh how I wish someone had given me such great advise back when we took our first cruise back in the dark (70's) ages. This board is the greatest thing to ever happen to cruising. It's very obvious that ALL of the cruise lines read it religiously and take many of the things mentioned very seriously. Again, just a note of appreciation to you for being so nice and considerate.:) :)

You are welcome. I get a kick out of living vicariously through "first timers". Although there was no "atriums" on our first cruises...there was still the "wow" factor when we stepped on board. The more you know about ahead of time, the more time you can devote to "wow" and not have to waste time on "details".

Thanks all for the help. I am so looking forward to the trip. I can't wait to find out which cabin I am in. We booked a balcony garintee. So the waiting in killing me. Sence I have paid maybe I will find out my cabin soon??? By the look of the boards I may not even know until I get to the ship. What a bummer.

Did the Glory and loved it. You made a great choice for a first Cruise. This is what we did.

Nassau. Short stay, First full day. We watched the lines of people getting back on the Ship while we enjoyed the Ship to ourselves.

St. Thomas. Godfrey. Look him up on the Ports of Call boards. His excursion is $25pp and he is friendly, knowlegible and trustworthy. Nothing like seeing someone holding a sign with your name on it in a crowd of 2000 people.

St.Maarten. Orient Beach. Go to the taxi's at the Port. Should be $6-7pp. 1/2 hr ride. Tell the taxi driver when to pick you up. Loungers/umbrellas are $10-15 for the day. A fantastic beach. Lots of sights.

Enjoy. Please post a review.

Archived