Rome to Civitavecchia

kronbel

Best and most reliable can be different for everyone. Some people take the train, but if you have luggage, it's a real pain in the behind to schlepp all that stuff in the terminals and on and off the train. You could use the ship's transfers which are reliable or you can hire a private car---my personal choice. Private cars get you there quicker and easier than any form of transportation. Depending on where in Rome you're coming from, it can take anywhere from 90 minutes to two hours to get to the dock.

What is the best and most reliable method of transportation from Rome to Civitavecchia to catch the ship? How much time should we allow?

We did a pre-cruise in Rome last Sep/Oct. There were four of us, and we arranged for a van to pick us up at our Rome hotel and deliver us to the port. It ran 120 euro (30 euro each).

We've been fortunate enough to have traveled to many parts of the world- Asia, South America, Australia, Tahiti, Europe several times, etc- but Rome was the ONLY place (well, at least that I know of :)) that we got ripped off by a taxi.

He got us for about 100 E.--- we were tired, he apparently put the "night taxi price" on (this was mid-morning), and we didn't figure it out. And then- he ripped us off on the change. I realize this does not make every Italian cab driver a thief--we just had bad luck. We were going into Rome and found out later that we could have asked the driver to go into the hotel with us to "discuss" the cab fare with the hotel front desk clerk because I felt it was too high but my DH was willing to just pay it. I don't think he felt we had an option-- I mean would you ever go into a front desk at a hotel in most cities and discuss cab fare? We found out later that we should have done that. Again, we were very tired having traveled from the West Coast to Rome which took many hours, and we just got some E's out of the ATM and didn't pay attention to the change which was where we taken advantage of the 2nd time.

We chose not to do the train from Rome to the port, paid $100 E for a private van and at that point- was well worth it. My advice is- if you can get some sort of private van/ transportation from the airport - do it. The train has many stairs, steps, etc and with luggage- not easy.

That did not flavor our opinion of Rome and/or the Italians in any way. We had a fabulous time and realise that those who will "rip off" -- they are in every country and will be dealt with in other ways.

We chose not to do the train from Rome to the port, paid $100 E for a private van and at that point- was well worth it. My advice is- if you can get some sort of private van/ transportation from the airport - do it. The train has many stairs, steps, etc and with luggage- not easy.

Sorry to hear about your taxi experience. My brother had a bus "experience" with gypsies picking his pocket in Rome.

But I agree, with the luggage, up and down stairs in a train station is not fun. That is why we opted for the hotel to port van. With the train option, you still have to get from the hotel to station and station to port which probably are taxi rides or long duffle bag drags.

Archived