Cat 11 suite on Elation ?

stacieps

My grandmother has been telling me for years that she wants to go on a cruise. My grandfather passed away last month and now my grandmother is finally ready to actually book. We've picked the Elation mainly because it does a 5 night when we want (between Thanksgiving and Christmas) 12/9/06 going to Key West and Cozumel.

I've searched here and found links to photos of the suites and decided on Cat 11 because Cat 12 has a tub (and it looks like 11 has the standard shower). My grandmother uses a walker for short distances and will use a wheelchair the rest of the time - do you think we'll be ok in Cat 11? I've checked the disability board, but since she can stand a walk a little, I don't think we need a handicapped cabin (and we really want the balcony for her). I would request a chair for the shower and think we'd be ok.

Also - what the status of Cozumel? I thought she'd enjoy going to Chankanaab (sp?) and watching the dolphins. Is it open? Are the dolphins there?

Thanks for any help.

My grandmother uses a walker for short distances and will use a wheelchair the rest of the time - do you think we'll be ok in Cat 11?

Can you explain a little bit more of what you need to know about being "okay"?

Category 11 could be good, as it's got space, and there's very little traffic there (few cabins).

There is a little step over a thresh hold to get to the balcony (which is the case for almost all doors to the outside).

If you book an odd number cabin, there will be no other cabins on that hallway, so even less traffic.

The one thing though, is that Category 11 has a queen and a pullout bed.

Is that okay for you both?

CJW

I know about the little steps in doorways - she should be fine with that (I know she has a regular shower stall at home and has to step up a little into it). She uses a walker around the house unless she's near furniture to hold onto, so I guess I mainly need to know if there is enough space in the Cat 11 to maneuver with the walker. We'll use the wheelchair only in the public areas.

Thanks for the info on odd cabins, that's what we have on hold, but I wouldn't have thought about where the doors were on those inside cabins.

We should be fine with the bedding in the 11, I would have preferred the bedding of the 12, but the bathtub eliminates that.

Yeah, I'm sure that there's plenty of room for a walker.

If you haven't seen it yet go to this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=298868

There are a lot of pictures of Category 11s on different ships, same cabins as on Elation.

Maybe that will help you be able to picture it more specifically.

CJW

Archived