Fort Lauderdale to Port Canaveral

Howdy from Calgary ,Alberta, Canada

My wife and I are Cruising on the Mariner of the Seas on Jan. 2/05. In order to get a direct flight into Florida (transfers increase problems) We had to fly into Ft Lauderdale on the first of Jan. This turns out to be a mixed blessing as we get there a day early and also have the opportunity to see some of the florida coast (never been out of Canada).

the pending plan is to rent a car at the Ft Lauderdale airport and drive to Canaveral, get a room for the night, return the car and cruise. Hopefully, there are rental agencies that will make this convienent and a reasonably priced hotel in the vicinity of the port. Anybody have any suggestions?

Please be helpful as we are first time travellers as well as cruisers. thanks in advance.

This is just my opinion.

I always use Avis rentals. They have an ageny in Cape Canaveral and if you return your rental the morning you cruise, they have a shuttle that will take you to the port free of charge.

Just a note, the port police will not allow anyone into the parking area/drop off area prior to 11:00 am the morning of your cruise.

As far as a hotel is concerned, we use the Radisson Resort at the Port. You can usually stay there for about $89 per night. They also have a shuttle to the port but some have had trouble with the scheduling of them.

Tim

herrinbowl@midamer.ent

We kind of did the opposite thing last year. Flew into Orlando, spent two days pre cruise in Cape Canaveral and took the kids to Kennedy Space Center. Drove the next day to Miami, stayed the night, and cruised the next day. Trip to Miami was only three hours.

Tim & Crystal

Trip from Ft Lauderdale to Orlando was around 2 1/2 hrs, not sure added amount of drive time to the Cape. We use Hertz, this past winter and the rate for a GrandAm was around 31 complete with taxes, etc. Had shuttle waiting for us to take us to ship.

We stayed overnight in Orlando, and did Universal boardwalk, had dinner there, breakfast in the morning at CrackerBarell and still go to the port by 11

Archived