Ryndam, September 10, 2006

Northernmiss

Hi, my DH and I will be taking our first cruise aboard the Ryndam to Alaska on September 10 and we can hardly wait!

I've learned so much and had so many of my questions answered by reading CC. However I haven't seen any info regarding the voltage onboard. Are the room outlets 110 Ac or 220 DC? Do I need an adapter? Also are the rooms smoking or non-smoking? I don't recall my TA asking me my preference.

We want to take a whale watching excursion. The Sea Otter and Wildlife Quest from Sitka sounds so great (sightings gauranteed!) but will it leave us anytime to explore the town which we are also anxious to do? Would we be better to take a wildlife/whale watching trip out of Juneau?

I'd love to hear from others experiences. Thanks for any advice.

Hi NorthernMiss!

The cabins accept 110AC. No neccesity for adaptors. There are no specific "non-smoking" rooms, but rooms are thoroughly cleaned and sanitized after each sailing, so there is no smoky residue left behind. If it is not to your satifaction, your steward will clean it again until you are happy.

The Sea Otter Quest in Sitka, run by Allen Marine, is one of the best! Since the owners of Allen Marine are parishioners at St. Michael's Russian Orthodax Church in Sitka, they will give you a card on board which will admit you to the cathedral for free. The Quest is three hours, so there should be time to visit around Sitka. It is a very "walkable" town, including the Sitka National Historic Park, a walk to the south down Lincoln, past Sheldon Jackson College (which also has a good museum). There are signposts all over town, pointing you to the various sites. The totem park offers an interesting visitor center, with a movie telling history of the area. There are also native artisans who can be observed through big glass windows. The park itself is a beautiful place, with lots of totem poles to see. I think you will enjoy it. Check my posting on this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=377084

In Juneau, Allen Marine has a whale-watching cruise as well. Lots of folks like Captain Larry's cruise, too. He can be booked on the pier, and Allen Marine is booked as a ship shore excursion.

Read the "Alaska" thread on the "Ports of Call" Board, accessible from the Cruise Critic main "Boards" page. Lots of info there.

You will enjoy your cruise, Alaska is a treat! Enjoy the planning, and I am happy to answer any questions here or by e-mail. I am sailing myself on the Oosterdam Saturday, so I might not get back to you right away!

Cindy

Thanks so much for your info!

We have quite a short stay in Sitka (7:00 a.m. til 1:00 p.m.) so I think we'll wait take this excurion in Juneau and spend more time just exploring Sitka. Maybe we can take the Sea Otter Quest on our next Alaska cruise...

Gail

Archived