Never sailed on RCCL before, thinking about the Grandeur out of Baltimore

Hi everyone. Since I live in the D.C. area, I am thinking of giving the 9-night Grandeur out of Baltimore cruise a try. I have only sailed on Carnival (3 cruises) and Sitmar (when I was a little kid), so I don't really know what to expect on RCCL. I have also only sailed 7 night cruises, so haven't been on one as long as 9 nights.

For those that have been on this itinerary, were there a decent amount of late 20's to late 30's year olds on board? I know that the age range tends to get older the longer the cruises are, which is fine with me, I'm just curious.

Also, what about parking? It would be so nice not to have to fly anywhere, and just be able to drive to the ship. What are the parking rates like?

Also, please tell me a little about this ship, what are the activities like, etc.

I look forward to hearing from everyone!

Thanks!

Also, not sure when we would be going (it would be my boyfriend and I). Probably mid October.

Come join us on the 10/13/06 cruise.

Let's see...I'm old, but my Daughter, who turns 31 on 10/15 and a friend (28) will be with us.

Parking, if it hasn't changed is $10/day.

The itinerary, IMHO, isn't that great as we stop in three US ports (Miami, Key West & Port Canaveral) but I'm going to relax. Actually, we're meeting some friends we met on the Navigator in Miami and I especially like the Duval crawl in KY.

It is very nice driving to the port. We originally had the Freedom scheduled for 10/08, but I decided I didn't want the hassle of flying down a day early, getting a room etc...)

Hope this helped a little.

I was on this ship 2 years ago. It is nice. We have been on 2 of the Voyager class ships also. The Grandeur isnt as big or have an ice rink but it is still nice. The smaller ship was more quaint. My parents are going on the Oct. 13th cruise out of baltimore and got a great deal! I wish I wasnt a teacher or I'd be going too! Key West is great! I dont know about the age range but I'm sure there wont be as many kids since school will have started. I am pretty sure there is plenty of parking at the port but the ship is now docked in a new port since I went on it. Sailing out of Baltimore is the best because you get a great view of the bay!

I haven't been on the Grandeur, but my partner has. He sailed on her out of Baltimore on his very first cruise and had the time of his life. I'll try to get him to post his experiences for you. That is all he talked about for weeks upon his return:rolleyes: ! Sure glad I was able to join the next cruise he took. I don't think you will be disapointed what so ever with the Grandeur! Book it and have a great time;) ! Andros/Tony

Hi Littlegoo75, I took this cruise June 9-18 and had a great time. I'm in my late 30's and didn't feel out of place at all. There were people of all ages on the cruise, and I didn't notice an abundance of any particular age group. The new port in Baltimore was well-organized, and parking was $10 per day. Another person on my cruise (who I met) started a thread when we got back, so you might want to check that out for more info. Here's the link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=365275

Thanks for the responses everyone! I might really consider this cruise, as it would be so nice not to bother with having to fly somewhere a day early etc. I'm not sure if I am too keen on so many stops at U.S. ports, as I have been to all of those places before, although I do really like Key West and would like to go there again. What good things are there to do for a day in Miami or Port Canaveral?

Are the passengers made up of mostly locals? I have never run into anyone else from the D.C. area / Northern Virginia on any of my cruises, so it might be a nice change.

Also, aside from Sitmar, I have only been on really big ships, will the Grandeur feel small to me?

We Did This Cruise Last July..we Loved It!! Although It Was Our First Cruise Others In Our Group Had Been On Many Others And Thought This One Was Great! The Ship Is Smaller Than Others But Easy To Get Around ...the Service Was Excellent..especially In The Dining Room..now That We Have Been On A 9 Day I Think It Would Be Hard To Go For Less Time. Book It...and Have Fun!!

I just got back from my second 9-day out of Baltimore and the only thing I can say is GO!!!

My first three cruises were on Carnival also and now I'll never go back. ;)

Parking is up close and personal as you literally park right by the ship. $10.00 per day. (I've walked farther in a Walmart parking lot).

You'll have a great time! Just go and enjoy.

For those October prices, you have nothing to lose.

Littlegoo75, Most of the passengers we met while on this cruise last month were from Pennsylvania and Maryland. We met a few people from Ohio, TN, NC & VA. We stayed on the boat at Port Canaveral as we have done all the Disney and NASA stuff before and felt that it would be rushing things to try to accomplish that in one day. We knew some people who went to Cocoa Beach, though, and they enjoyed themselves. When we took this cruise, it stopped in Freeport, Grand Bahama instead of Miami. It's kind of a bummer to have 3 US ports, but personally I don't think you'll miss too much by not going to Grand Bahama.

We are sailing the Grandeur 5/18/07 and will be sailing to St.Thomas, Labedee( the private island), and the Dominican Republic. No ports in the US.

We previously sailed from Baltimore and we are loooking forward to the same ease if embarkation.

Archived