New to snorkeling..

lady in tx

Hello! :p I'm going to Cozumel in Jan., 2007 and I would like to go snorkeling. The only thing is that my husband is not a really good swimmer, (he barely knows how to swim):eek: and since I have never been snorkeling I would like to know if it would be a good idea for us to go snorkeling. I don't think that it would be a great idea if I book an excursion through my cruise, so I rather go do it on my own. Also, if there are any good beaches that have a combo of snorkeling, swimming, relaxing, and eating, please let me know. Thanks!

You may want to post this in the Ports of Call Forum/Cozumel....

snorkeling is very easy as long as you can float, breath through your mouth and don't mind having your face in the water.

There are several beaches where there is easy access to the water and decent snorkeling...from shore spots include Playa Uvas, Playa Azul, PalMar....deeper water sites at Chankannab& Coral Princess...you can rent equipment and get basic instruction at most clubs...I have also used Eagle Ray Divers for snorkeling trips and can say that they are great with novice snorkelers....where ever you go, ask for a snorkel vest if you feel more confident with it.

If you can get equipment, see if you can try it out first in a pool somewhere. That will be very helpful.

Its very easy - but I would recommend trying it from the shore first, so you can stand (not on the reef! ;)) and make any adjustments you might need, instead of jumping off a snorkel boat into deeper water.

I really enjoy snorkeling. I would highly recommend a vest. It took away my fears.

Does your DH have a mustache? If so that can be a problem. They say vaseline on the moustche helps. My DH decided to forgo the tube and would come up for air.

Be sure to get an under water camera!

Suezy,

My DH does have a mustache...Without one he would look like a 17 yr old! lol...

I would have never thought that his mustache would be a problem..so weird yet intresting!! I'll let him know. Thanks for the advice!! :)

I'm planning on taking several water cameras!!

If you are planning to snorkel, for the first time, I think I would book the excursion through the cruiseline. That way you can assure that you end up in a good spot for experienced and novice snorkelers. Plus going in a group is helpful if you run into questions and no one from the outfitters is around to ask. I do recommend an underwater camera, especially in Cozumel. The reef is beautiful and the fish will amaze you.

I also have a mustache, and I too was told that it might create a problem, but I was fine. No unwanted water in the mask.

Hope you enjoy it. My wife and I will also be there in January!

Lets soar,

thanks for your suggestion. I have been doing research, and I decided to go ahead and book with Playa Uvas. I have read that they take real good care of you, ( also, I have been told there are at least 2 ppl watching over you).

Thanks, and I hope you have fun too!

Playa Uvas is a really nice club...think you will be very pleased with your choice....as for the mustache, my DH has a rather bushy handlebar mustache and uses a small dab of vaseline, in a pinch chapstick also works.

Have Fun!

• 1 month later...
Lets soar,

thanks for your suggestion. I have been doing research, and I decided to go ahead and book with Playa Uvas. I have read that they take real good care of you, ( also, I have been told there are at least 2 ppl watching over you).

Thanks, and I hope you have fun too!

Hi,

I got 2 b in playa ouva 4 the first time last year, we snorkled and loved it SO much we went back again about 2 weeks ago and were lucky enough 2 spot an octopus, it was AWSOME.

We went last year in dec. after the hurricane and the beach was free, but we went back a couple weeks ago and they have improved it even more, they charged 7.00 pp(US) well worth it, and they give u a free drink, so it works out pretty evenly, I will go back again.

We also did playa corona and loved that 2.

MY SISTER AND I LOVE COZUMEL.

My hubby has a mustache and the vaseline does work, they also rent equipment, but I suggest buying your own, rember purge for your mask and ry top for your snorkle, and the vest is crucial until your more compfy.

They have a very nice facility there and happy helpful people.

ENJOY!!!!:D

Hi,

I got 2 b in playa ouva 4 the first time last year, we snorkled and loved it SO much we went back again about 2 weeks ago and were lucky enough 2 spot an octopus, it was AWSOME.

We went last year in dec. after the hurricane and the beach was free, but we went back a couple weeks ago and they have improved it even more, they charged 7.00 pp(US) well worth it, and they give u a free drink, so it works out pretty evenly, I will go back again.

We also did playa corona and loved that 2.

MY SISTER AND I LOVE COZUMEL.

My hubby has a mustache and the vaseline does work, they also rent equipment, but I suggest buying your own, rember purge for your mask and ry top for your snorkle, and the vest is crucial until your more compfy.

They have a very nice facility there and happy helpful people.

ENJOY!!!!:D

You saw an octopus?!?:eek: OMG!! I wouldn't have known what to do!!

I have read a couple of reviews saying that they were not pleased with Playa Uvas. It was good to read that you had a good time! Did you see a lot of fish? I'm assuming you took a pic of that octopus? lol..you should email me your pics! I would love to hear more about it!!:)

Some people's mustaches are more problematic with underwater masks than others -- it depends how bushy it is, how much space there is between the bottom of the nose and the start of the mustache, even the contour of their gumline...

I'd recommend he go to a dive shop and try out a range of masks just to see whether the mustache is problematic with certain masks. If it's generally not a problem, he should be okay renting a mask. If it seems that certain masks are a problem, he might want to be sure he buys one he knows will work rather than take a chance that the ones available for rent will work well.

Some people's mustaches are more problematic with underwater masks than others -- it depends how bushy it is, how much space there is between the bottom of the nose and the start of the mustache, even the contour of their gumline...

I'd recommend he go to a dive shop and try out a range of masks just to see whether the mustache is problematic with certain masks. If it's generally not a problem, he should be okay renting a mask. If it seems that certain masks are a problem, he might want to be sure he buys one he knows will work rather than take a chance that the ones available for rent will work well.

Thanks for your response. I talked to DH about it but he thinks it won't be much of an issue b/c he doesn't have a big mustache..He keeps it nice and trimmed! But i told him just in case we should take some vaseline and i'm bringing him along with me when i get my mask just in case he changes his mind!! ;)

Archived