A Few Random QM2 Questions....

disneyfan1313

Hiya! I have tried my best to do my research on the below questions - including searching the forums for old threads and google searches.. but I came up short with a few. Hopefully the kind souls on here would not mind answering a few.

First of all - let me say I have been looking forward to sailing on the QM2 for a number of years. My fiance and I are planning to get married early next year and are going to take the first eastbound crossing of the season (4/18) as our honeymoon. We have done a decent amount of cruising (RCCL, Princess, Carnival (ugh), NCL and MANY times on Disney (our fave...and that is without kids!) ). We are also in our late 20's and love to travel in general.

1) The whole "Return Complimentary Airfare" piece is confusing as all heck! I know from watching prices it is occasionally offered (or is it always offered but not advertised?) on certain cabin classes. Cunard is no help in answering this question without me being willing to actually book. I am assuming it is return fare from London-NYC. Is there a time frame after the cruise in which it must be taken (if it is offered), or am I able to spend a week in London after the cruise and then take advantage of the flight? If it is not offered now on my cruise - I am assuming it is offered as a booking incentive closer to the dates... how close is it usually offered?

2) Do prices generally drop the closer you get to the voyage? Also - is the first eastbound TA generally harder to fill? I realize these are detailed questions but I figured that someone on this board probably watches the prices rather closely.

3) How cold will it *really* be? I see lots of people posting on how cold it is and saying an open air balcony will not be needed.. but if we had a heavy blanket over us would we probably be ok? Walking around the decks at night is it "Heavy Down Jacket" cold? I am from Florida so I own one jacket.. A Ski one which I use if I am traveling to snowy places.. I guess I need a slightly lighter one.. or will it really be that cold on the first Eastbound TA?

4) Really... no soda card anymore.... seriously?!!??! We don't drink Alcohol very much but we need our coke fix multiple times a day. A lack of a soda card would be very sad.

5) Do they sell cases of bottled water to be delivered to your room as other lines do? I usually drink about 5-6 bottles of bottled water a day so that could get expensive as well. (yeah yeah.. I know the bottled water debates.. I enjoy it and like the ease of it)

6) Are there many tables for 2 in the Britannia dining room? Are they in horrible places? How hard are they to get? We do not enjoy sitting with other people at dinner... so this is a huge deal with us (I realize the socialization aspect is why many come on the cruise...but the forced socialization is too much like work for both of us and we relish the time to relax with each other).

7) Any special things for Honeymooners onboard?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give - I am really looking forward to making this dream voyage a reality! :)

I can't answer all of your questions with a level of detail or accuracy that would be of help to you. I would get hold of a Cunard Brochure (you can order on line or through a travel agent). In there you'll find most of your answers. For example, yes there are special items for honeymoons (page 14). Tables for 2? the positions are shown (page 154), however, when you book, request such a table, when you board you'll find you table location indicated in your cabin, if you don't like it, go down and ask to change, they will if they can (and the fact you're on honeymoon would help, oh and on that subject, there is free room service should you decide to spend the entire crossing in your cabin). Yes, you can get bottled water. A good warm jacket could be needed, but a ski jacket might not only be overkill but also take up a lot of room in a case (and London isn't that cold, usually!). Prices? well some seem very clever at getting reductions close to saling date, however, as it's your honeymoon, I'd book asap a guaranty and then hope/try for an upgrade to get value for money. Never pay the brochure price. In the UK brochure is says that you can stay as long as you like before using the return air ticket and it would seem to be available with every crossing, I'm sure there are some here who'll give you detailed answers to many of your questions but, as I said, get the brochure, I'm certain the answers lie there.

1) The whole "Return Complimentary Airfare" piece is confusing as all heck!

Yes, it is! The web site says that "Brochure fares are cruise-only" - but I can't imagine Cunard expect 2000 pax to organise one way air. I suspect it depends on the fare - so there may be lower Early Booking fares w/o air, higher with. In the past, air has been from US 'Gateway Cities' - eg SFO, and it has been possible to vary the date, sometimes with charge, sometime without - I've seen both.

2) Do prices generally drop the closer you get to the voyage?

Generally, yes - don't pay brochure fare, whatever you do! However, if its your Honeymoon, you might be better getting a Cunard 45% off EBS, rather than waiting to get, or not get, another 15% off. If fares fall substantially, a good TA should get you upgraded or onboard credit to match the drop.

3) How cold will it *really* be?

Not that cold - though it can be stormy. On deck the wind will be the major chiller. I've sat on the QE2 in January under multiple blankets, snug as a bug!

4) Really... no soda card anymore.... seriously?!!??!

This story changes with each voyage.....

5) Do they sell cases of bottled water to be delivered to your room as other lines do?

They certainly sell bottles - I doubt you get any discount for ordering by the case!

6) Are there many tables for 2 in the Britannia dining room?

Quite a few - and many in nice places. ON BOARDING go to the Restaurant and check your table - if not happy, talk to the Maitre D' explain your circumstances & don't accept one until you are happy with it. On an eastbound the early sitting may be busier - (I haven't done an eastbound for years), so there may be more choice on the second sitting.

7) Any special things for Honeymooners onboard?

Yes indeed - champage & flowers in your stateroom, a card from the Captain and a formal portrait photograph. Your TA needs to provide Cunard documentary proof more than 2 weeks before departure, and the wedding needs to be within 2 months of your voyage

Thank you in advance for any help you can give - I am really looking forward to making this dream voyage a reality! :)

It will be fabulous!

Hiya! I have tried my best to do my research on the below questions - including searching the forums for old threads and google searches.. but I came up short with a few. Hopefully the kind souls on here would not mind answering a few.

First of all - let me say I have been looking forward to sailing on the QM2 for a number of years. My fiance and I are planning to get married early next year and are going to take the first eastbound crossing of the season (4/18) as our honeymoon. We have done a decent amount of cruising (RCCL, Princess, Carnival (ugh), NCL and MANY times on Disney (our fave...and that is without kids!) ). We are also in our late 20's and love to travel in general.

5) Do they sell cases of bottled water to be delivered to your room as other lines do? I usually drink about 5-6 bottles of bottled water a day so that could get expensive as well. (yeah yeah.. I know the bottled water debates.. I enjoy it and like the ease of it)

6) Are there many tables for 2 in the Britannia dining room? Are they in horrible places? How hard are they to get? We do not enjoy sitting with other people at dinner... so this is a huge deal with us (I realize the socialization aspect is why many come on the cruise...but the forced socialization is too much like work for both of us and we relish the time to relax with each other).

Hi disneyfan1313 and Congrat's,

We just came off the Mary last week and can answer some of your questions.

I am not so sure the price of a case of water. A very LARGE bottle was $3.00 each. Delievered and placed in the Mini Frig. My wife does not like ship processed water and uses bottled in cabin and also at meals arranged with and thru the wine steward. A bottle would be brought to the table and whatever is left is returned to you the next day like a bottle of wine unfinished. They mark the bottle with your table number.

Also with the table of 2. We saw them all around the Dining Room. Inside, on the mid portion and also by the window. The window ones by the windows were for two but also were used together for four, six and eight.

Yes, you should talk to the Dining Room Staff onboarding since it maybe to late and crazy at the beginning of Dinner Service. Everyone lines up and has questions and want to change and you may lose if not in time.

Open for more questions and wishing you a pleasant voyage.

Regards,

:) ESLO

(Ed & Bev)

We had requested a table for 2, at the late seating and realized that we were placed at a table for 4. We decided not to bother changing it and were pleasantly surprised to discover that we had the whole table to ourselves anyway --they didn't assign the extra two seats. I'm so glad we didn't press the issue because our waiter (Amit) was awesome!

Archived