Pre and Post Vancouver Options

We are in the planning stage for a July '07 R/T Vancouver Alaska cruise. Presently I'm thinking of a 2 night pre-cruise in Vancouver, but need help with post cruise options. We could spend as much as 5 days and any options would be appreciated.

Also recommendations for Vancouver hotels would be great. Having never been to the Pacific Northwest, not sure if we should stay middle of town? or by the water. Also how far is the ship from the hotels.

Thanks for the information

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there! Based upon your thinking of two days before and up to five days following your cruise you can do a whole lot of fun and intersting stuff. I was born, raised and have lived most of my life in Vancouver...so based on that I'll just run out some ideas of what I would do.

PRE-CRUISE.

Look at staying at the Pan Pacific or the Fairmont Water Front. Both are high end hotels but one, the Pan Pacific is built on top of the cruise shipr terminal, (unless you leave from Ballentyne Pier), and the Fairmont is right across the street from the Pan Pacific. But they are pricey and there are alternatives that are close to the cruise ship facilities.

On the pre-cruise "excursions" I would plan on Grouse Mountain, Capilano Suspension Bridge, Clevland Dam. All these are grouped together on the same road and will make a nice morning or afternoon exploration. You can also visit the Art Gallery, Stanley Park (including the Aquarium), and the Museum of Anthropology at UBC, and Queen Elizabeth Park (called Little Mountain by the locals). All of these are easily reached on buses, tour buses, rental cars and taxis. Some you can even getb to on foot from downtown hotels. It's your choice.

If you are not into rushing these places will easily take up the better part of two days. But there are other places I have not lists that you can add. (Granville Island Market, China Town, Gas Town).

POST CRUISE.

If you have five days there are a couple of day long side trips that you can take that are great.

First, I would stay at the Holiday Inn on Broadway, (I think they call it the Holiday Inn Downtown, but as far as the locals are concerned it is no where near downtown! Close but not near!) It is clean and priced well. but ius out of the hustle of down town. It is, I guess you could say, centrally located.

These are places that you can build a day trip out of in Vancouver.

Shopping...Robson street, Pacific Center Mall (underground down town), Museum of Anthrology (If you didn't see it pre-cruise), then the Nitobe Memorial Garden at UBD (just down the road walking distance fromthe Museum) which is a beautiful traditional Japanese Garden.

Full Day Trip To Whistler.

Best to rent a car for this one. Drive the Sea To Sky highway from Vancouver to Whistler, site of the 2010 Olympics. Stop at Shannon Falls, wander around Whistler Village. The drive is beautiful. The highway runs right along the water. Plan on taking a couple of hours up there and a couple of hours back the rest of the time at Whistler and Shannon Falls.

Full Day Trip To Victoria

This will take a full day from early morning to mid-late evening. Rent a car the night before you leave. Drive to the ferry terminal south of Vancouver and catch the Ferry to Victoria. This is a beautiful trip that will remind you of what you saw on the Alaska cruise. The crossing takes about 2 hours by the time you get on and off the ferry. (You have to plan to be at the terminal early because summer is the full load period for the ferries and you don't want to become a bad imitation of "Shake'n Bake" under the summer sun on the terminal parking lot. (You may want to get a Pacific Cach Lines Bus to Victoria. It is not expensive and the Bus goes from downtown Vancouver to downtown Victoria. Ferries are first on the ferry and first off as well. I would probably do that.)

There is easily enough to keep uyou wandering non-stop around downtown Victopria's Inner Harbour. It is the provincial capitol, and is completel geraed to visitors. Plan on taking a short bus excursion to Butchart Gardens...worth every minute and every penny.

Well, I think that is a pretty good start. Let me klnow if you want any other info.

Tom and Deb:)

i have always used priceline for vancouver for 4 star hotels and gotten great ones. choose the downtown or entertainment area and you will get a really good hotel at a fraction of the cost going directly through the hotels themselfs.

Tom and Deb,

Thank you for the detailed information, it will make the planning much easier.Just wondering your thoughts of traveling out to Banff for a couple of nights. Is it an easy drive? Is it worth it or is spending the day in Whistler good enough.

Musicmansmom,

Thanks for the suggestion on Priceline. The only problem is we are a family of 4 and I know all of pricelines quotes are based on 2 to a room. Anyone know away around that detail.

Thanks Again

Alan

oh, priceline wont work then. how about hot-wire. if you find a good deal get two rooms for the same place. that might work and they have good deals and let you see the ammenites. i got a great room from them once for the holiday inn next too the airport for about $30 in vancouver. they have rooms downtown vancouver also. good luck

will be driving non stop (about 12 -14 hours)to get there. Whistler is also a long ways to go for the day.IN the Summer there are accidents almost every day and the hold up can be hours.

will be driving non stop (about 12 -14 hours)to get there. Whistler is also a long ways to go for the day.IN the Summer there are accidents almost every day and the hold up can be hours.

Whistler is nowhere near as far as being stated. From downtown in the summer with the construction, I can make it there in a conservative 1.5 hours on a weekday (weekends are busier). Informing people of all the accidents just deters people from visiting the future site of the 2010 Olympics.Banff will take 14 hours of non-stop driving and albiet nice, why drive all that way when you can see everthing it has in Whistler?

There is no doubt that a trip to Banff and the Rocky Mountains would be wonderful...but as has been pointed out it is a min. 14 hour drive!

The Rocky Mountaineer railway tour is also a tremndous trip. It can be pricey and is the better part of a two day trip just to get to Banff. They travel half way the first day then you stay over night in a hotel...I think at Kamloops...then the next day you move on to Banff. This way you don't miss any of the gorgeous scenery. You could do that...then bus it to Calgary...not far...and fly back to Vancouver. There is no doubt that it would be a second adventure to your cruise! But I would plan on four days...two days to get to Banff...a day looking around Banf and environs...a fourth day travelling to Calgary and flying out to Vancouver. (Now, if you can change your flight home from Vancouver to Calgary...this trip to Banff is a very doable option. You would simply fly home out of Calgary instead of Vancouver.)

I pointed out that the drive to Whistler is at least 2 hours...driving the highway in an hour and a half is just plain nuts. It's those folks that have the accidents. :mad: There are minor delays due in places to the reconstruction of the highway for the Olympics...but nothing severe.

If you take your time...aren't in a hurry...and are prepareed to spend some time looking at some of the most spectacular scenery in the world...Whistler is your best bet in my opinion.

Hope you can work something out.

Tom and Deb:)

I pointed out that the drive to Whistler is at least 2 hours...driving the highway in an hour and a half is just plain nuts. It's those folks that have the accidents. :mad: There are minor delays due in places to the reconstruction of the highway for the Olympics...but nothing severe.

:)

Hmm, perhaps I should have been clearer as I was talking from North Van to Whistler - 45mins to Squamish, 45 mins to Whistler from Squamish - DOING THE SPEED LIMIT - I drove it every day for 10 years up until last year.

I just wanted to say that I was in Vancouver pre and post Alaska last year and I wanted to tell the people her who live there, that I loved your city. My DH and I had a fantastic time, the food was excellent. The service and friendliness of the people was great. We stayed at the Pan Pacific both pre and post cruise and the level of service was as I expected of a 5 star hotel.

So thank you to all you Vancouverens (I don't know what you are called when you live there). But your city was very welcoming, friendly and a very pleasureable experience.

We loved the Aquarium. We didn't take any group tours, we hired a private car and driver that the hotel concerige arranged for us and he was very knowledgeable and friendly and it was a pleasure to tour Vancouver with him.

You can be very proud of how your city treats tourists.

I just wanted to say that, sorry for interrupting the thread.

So thank you to all you Vancouverens (I don't know what you are called when you live there).

We'll go by "Vancouverites", "Canadians" or just 'friends to the north'.

Thanks, and hope you return someday - perhaps in 2010?

We'll go by "Vancouverites", "Canadians" or just 'friends to the north'.

Thanks, and hope you return someday - perhaps in 2010?

Thank you, well I found Vancouverites to be very friendly, helpful and just all around nice. When I shopped in the stores, they showed appreciation for my business which was espcieally nice.

I too hope to go back to Vancouver. I loved Joe Fortes restaurant (one of the places we ate). DH thought it was wonderful too.

I doubt 2010, I'm not big on Olympics, sports and definitely not crowds.

But yes, DH and I want to return to Alaska, not on a cruise, but for us, we would fly into Vancouver as that would be the simplest for us right now where we are so would just stop for a couple of days each way.

Hopefully we will do it. I just had to tell you how much I enjoyed your City and how well received we were.

• 9 months later...

I think that a taxi or pre arranged limo service is the only option. Maybe just call the hotel and ask.

TAxi's are few and far between at Ballantyne you might have to wait a while so don't rush off the ship. (Unless you're first)

Should be under $30.00 with tip it's not all that far.

ps

any further ?s don't be concerned about your skill on the board and post in a New thread. Makes it more likely to get an updated answer.

Archived