Bringing your own bottled water on the cruise

jmk22574

We bring a couple of bottles on board, refill them from the bathroom tap and then put them in the fridge to cool (the fridges don't really "chill" much of anything). As for refilling at the buffet, on RCI, at least, they ask that you not fill your water bottles because people have a tendency to shove them up under the dispenser, which will leave their mouth germs behind.

I found that the water from my bathroom tap reeked of chlorine when I opened my bottle (I took my wide-mouthed nalgene bottle) after cooling it down. I had better luck with filling the bottle with ice from the ice bucket, and with taking several glasses of water from the buffet on RCI and using them to refill my bottle (that way I got nice cool water with some ice, too!). [i did see the signs asking people not to fill their water bottles from the machines, that's why I took several glasses!]:D

We brought some bottled water (I don't remember how many bottles) because although it was my first cruise, Mom had been on one before and noticed swelling from drinking the water. We knew we'd be drinking the iced tea and such so we wanted to make sure we had bottled water on hand. I think we only had a few bottles left at the end of our 5-day cruise.

Yep it was your mom that told me that. This was in a thread over on the fashion board about what could be done about your mid section swelling. My problem is there, more then my ankles. Hey I wish it was my ankles.

I will bring some bottles with me-but not a case. If you notice the crew members; they are always bringing back with them gallon jugs of water. I am just going to ask them where they find it in port.

I always wondered why they did that since the water is safe to drink-but after reading your Mom's post I finially understood.

On our last cruise we packed empty water bottles (8) which had no weight value to them (we flew) and filled them up after we got on board ship. Placed them in the in-room fridge and it worked great.

HB

Wow. This is very interesting about the drinking water and the swelling of ankles, etc. I only drink water - I do not drink pepsi or coka or iced tea, etc. So, I drink a LOT of water over a period of 7 days. Last cruise I noticed my ankles were totally blown up and I thought it was the heat, even though that has never happened to me before. And it hasn't happened since. Obviously, that is what it is from. I really didn't give it much thought after we got home.

Wow. This is very interesting about the drinking water and the swelling of ankles, etc. I only drink water - I do not drink pepsi or coka or iced tea, etc. So, I drink a LOT of water over a period of 7 days. Last cruise I noticed my ankles were totally blown up and I thought it was the heat, even though that has never happened to me before. And it hasn't happened since. Obviously, that is what it is from. I really didn't give it much thought after we got home.

If desalinated water caused all this swelling, several coastal cities in the U.S. would certainly all suffer from it. Desalinated water is just that - the salt is removed. This process is also used for several European cities, most naval vessels and cruise ships all over the world.

The swelling in our feet, hands, etc., while on a cruise (or other vacations, too) is caused by a number of things; inactivity, change in diet, change in the amount of fluid consumed - those types of things...it is not caused by desalinated water. :p

I am at a loss here this has been talked about many times on these boards..What most people fail to realize is tha the water on board ships is close to the the best you can find..Yes they do desalenate it from sea water and the process that they use makes it better then most city water systems and better then most bottle water systems..what we do is on our 1st shoreX we buy 3 large bottles and then we can refill them as needed..bottom line is we have to carry enough stuff why add to the weight with bottle water???

Mike - I second your post. I usually bring a few 20 or 24oz bottles of water in my carry on for the airport & plane - then refill them during the week on the ship.

I have watched every TV show related to cruising & building cruise ships & secrets of cruise ships, etc, at least 10 times. They all say that the water plants on the ships are as good as, if not better than, many land based water purification systems. I've drunk GALLONS of cruise ship water (at least 2 quarts per day)

I'd rather pack a few 16oz plastic bottles of beer in my luggage, rather than water!

Sha

Folks with medical reasons aside....

Celebrity has the best water out there. I don't know what they do differently, maybe it's the presentation. ;)

Every day the cabin steward fills the beautiful silver insulated pitcher with ice and fresh water and when we return to the cabin it is sweating in that tantalizing way that makes me drink it immediately. I've never had ankle swelling problems and the taste, as others have said, is better than anything I've ever had in a bottle of water.

Additionally, I'm usually flying and have enough to handle with getting my luggage to the pier to worry about lugging a case of water too. :)

Tammy

Happy Cruising to all!!

My fingers & ankles used to swell when I was at the beach - before I started drinking lots of water (about 2 quarts per day). It's probably the salt AIR, not the salt in the water causing your water retention. (Remember, you breathe in salt air, so you can get the salt in your system carried in with every breath you take!) If your ankles swell on a cruise, you may need to drink another 16oz or more of water than you normally do to compensate for the salt air. Also, if you drink a bit more alcohol than usual, it can cause some water retention, too. Think about drinking at least 4oz of additional water for each alcoholic beverage. A 3rd consideration is what you eat. You may be taking in more sodium than what you're used to from food without realizing it. Dairy products (milk, cream, cheese, ice cream) have a naturally high sodium content. Those pizza slices & french fries will be high in sodium. So, think about staying away from the salt shaker while on a cruise, if you have a problem with water retention. I doubt it's from the water from the ship.

I know, it sounds backward, but the more water you drink, the less water you retain. The reason you retain water is that you aren't taking in enough water to "rinse out" the salt & other minerals that are "bonded" in with the water in your cells!

Sha

• 8 months later...

I know that I would like to be able to refill a bottle but the desalinated water makes me hold water. I would love to drink diet pepsi or coke but they have caffein and the sweetner makes me have memory problems. I will just bring my doctors note and bring my Diet Rite (Splenda sweetner) and bottled water (no sodium). I would love to buy the coke card and get them to bring my Diet Rite but they don't carry it.

what I do is I buy a sport bottle from brita and it filters out the water.. I get one for me and my husband and the water taste great.. You can find them at that big box store that starts with W and ends with mart.. I think it was like 5 dollars.. or there abouts:p

Archived