formal nights on S America/Antarctica cruise

crazy4cruisn

Agree with Jennie..Believe there will be four formal nights..On our 18 day Amsterdam (Rotterdam's sister ship) cruise in Dec. 2003 we had four formal nights...

Don't forget to bring hats, scarves & gloves..It gets very very cold out on deck & you don't want to miss anything!..Lots of people had to purchase warm clothes on board, & it was very expensive..I had to buy a scarf but did have Long Johns & Boots with Warm Socks...Thank goodness I nearly froze to death, but would not leave the Promenade deck!

It's one of the best cruises we've ever taken & would do it again in a heartbeat..We only went around the Horn, but hope one day to do it again & next time go down into Antartica....Have a wonderful cruise..You will Love it!...:)

P.S. Jennie..We never met your Sister on the Prinsendam, but hope that they enjoyed the trip as much as we did!

I did this cruise itinerary in January 2006. There were 4 formal nights. The first was the evening of our first full day at sea (day 2). The second was the night we crossed the Drake Passage from Cape Horn to Antarctica. It was an interesting formal dinner as the waves were 18 feet and one extra large wave hit at the end of dinner and all the dishes, glassware, silverware, etc went sliding off the tables. A horrible mess, but fortunately no one was injured! The third formal night was the day at sea the day after we left the Falkland Islands. And the final formal night was the day at sea the day after we left Montevideo. There were also 4 informal evenings and the rest were casual.

I agree with the post above about remembering to bring warm clothing, including hat, scarf, gloves, waterproof jacket. Dress in layers and you'll do great. It's a hard trip to pack for as you also need summer clothing for Santiago and for Buenos Aries, Montevideo and Rio.

Serendipity1499,

My sister and brother in law loved their cruise up the Amazon on the Prinsendam. The Prinsendam is a favourite of theirs, it was their second time on it and it didn't disappoint. They also enjoyed the staff and crew, particularly Christine, the Social Hostess who actually lives not far from here in Melbourne.

crazy4cruisn,

I agree that it is a hard one to pack for as you actually encounter 3 different zones of temperatures. There is the heat of Rio, Buenos Aires, Montevideo and Valpariso, the cooler climate of Punta Arenas, Puerto Montt and Ushuaia and then there is the cold of Antarctica. We also went to the Iguazu Falls which is very hot and humid, to Machu Pichu which is cool and then did a 5 day cruise around the Galapagos Islands so we had to pack wisely.

For Antarctica we each took a very warm waterproof jacket, a hat, sunglasses, gloves, and a scarf, woollen socks and sturdy shoes. I brought waterproof/windproof overpants but did not need to use them. Underneath my jacket I wore a long sleeve shirt and a woollen jumper or cardigan, and I was warm enough. On my legs I were jeans or chinois and that was enough. We were lucky to have beautiful blue skies and no wind.

It is the most exciting trip and my most favourite. We had a horrendous trip from the Falklands going through the Drake Passage. We struck a force 11 gale and and it was very hard to move around the ship. It lasted for 24 hours and that was really the only bad patch of weather we encountered.

The Chilean Fjords are also a wonderful sight and not to be missed. Enjoy!

Jennie

I packed two suitcases. One was a large one, and one was "carry-on" size which I didn't carry-on. I split my wardrobe between the two suitcases just in case one of them was lost in transit. All my formal wear was squishable and didn't take up hardly any room. I didn't pack a winter coat, just a waterproof jacket that was large enough for me to layer sweaters or sweatshirts underneath. What took up the most space was the sweaters, sweatshirts and long pants that I packed. In hindsight I paked too much, but it was nice to have lots of clothes to choose from and not worry about doing laundry, repeating my outfits every couple of days, etc. I left lots of room in the suitcases to fill with stuff that I bought along the way... it turned out that I hardly bought a thing, so I still had lots of room when I was headed home. Just about everybody I met had two suitcases and a small day pack/tote bag for the plane trip.

crazy4cruisn,

No we did not disembark in Antarctica which would have been an added bonus though in the Galapagos Islands we went to a different island each morning and each afternoon and so were in and out of the zodiacs all the time which was quite tiring especially trying to land on rocks or in the water and also going up and down the ladder from the ship.

We each have a Samsonite Oyster hard case which we took plus I was lucky enough to win one of HAL's fold up bags on wheels last year while on a cruise, so we took that as well. We put all our winter wear including our footwear and waterproof jackets into this bag which expands and did not touch it until we were down in Antarctica. We each had a carry on bag as well. Our cases and the HAL bag weighed around 67kg. I am not sure what that is in pounds. We had 17 flights altogether - 8 throughout South America - and we did not have to pay any excess luggage costs which was a bonus. We did leave some cases at our hotels when we went to the Iguazu falls and also when we went out to the Galapagos Islands.

Jennie

crazy4cruisn,

We each have a Samsonite Oyster hard case which we took plus I was lucky enough to win one of HAL's fold up bags on wheels last year while on a cruise, so we took that as well. We put all our winter wear including our footwear and waterproof jackets into this bag which expands and did not touch it until we were down in Antarctica. We each had a carry on bag as well. Our cases and the HAL bag weighed around 67kg. I am not sure what that is in pounds. We had 17 flights altogether - 8 throughout South America - and we did not have to pay any excess luggage costs which was a bonus. We did leave some cases at our hotels when we went to the Iguazu falls and also when we went out to the Galapagos Islands.

Jennie

Jennie..You had quite a Trip! We traveled with two friends..Both our DH's were very disappointed because we had such calm seas the whole trip!..When we went around the Horn it was as flat as anything..They are both Sailors, so were looking forward to some excitement! I keep mentioning that we should try it again & maybe this time they will have their excitement!;)

Assume you mean that both bags including the HAL bag weighed 67 Kg all together..There are 2.2 lbs. to a Kg...We traveled on American & it was just before they changed the weight allowance, so we were able to keep each bag under 70 Lbs..(now each bag is limited to 50 Lbs. each) For two of us we had: one 29 inch, one 26inch, one large hanging garment bag plus two carry-ons..We also had weatherproof over sized rain jackets & layered with sweaters or sweatshirts..We packed our winter clothes in the space saver bags, that compress to let all the air out..Of course I had too many shoes though:o & had more clothes than needed..My boots were short sturdy walking boots which were perfect for the Falklands...

Jennnie, Sorry we missed your Sister..We also love the Prinsendam & enjoyed Christina..What a delightful lady she is..

crazy4cruisn enjoy your cruise..:) Betty

Betty,

Yes, I did mean that the two suitcases which are the 28" size plus the HAL bag came in around 67kg. Peter also carried his dinner suit and jacket in a zip up bag which we always ask the air flight attendant to hang for us. I did take 8 pairs of shoes which were a lot more than normal but that did include sneakers and thongs for the Galapagos Islands.

We are off to Vancouver in 9 weeks time, where we will board the Veendam for our 34 day cruise through the Panama and up the Amazon and I am finding it just as hard to pack as for our South American cruise. This time we need a lot more formal and informal wear for dinner!! During the day it is easy but it is the nights that I am having trouble with, especially as it is such a long cruise.

Jennie

Wow Jennie..You must have around 6 or 7 formal nights & the same number of informal nights....That is a problem, but on our 26 day I was able to use my long black "crushable roll up" Chico's dress & 2 long black "roll-up crushable skirts" with different sparkly/fancy tops or jackets..I also used the same dress & skirts for informal by just making the tops less fancy..And you can be sure no one will notice if you repeat your outfits, except you...;) I really wish HAL had formal & resort casual & dropped the informal..

Enjoy your cruise..:)

P.S. Just finished the book "Amazon Extreme" by Colin Angus with Ian Mulgrew..Three young men from Canada, Australia & South Africa rafted down the Amazon after hiking across the dessert for about three weeks before reaching the headwaters in Peru..A fascinating, nail-biting, & breathtaking account of their 5 month expedition ending in the Atlantic...

Betty,

Like you I also take a long black skirt and use different tops which does help a bit with the packing. We have such a long way to travel before we get to the ship each time. I think I may be an expert now after travellling each year to Europe and beyond for the past 12 years!

Your book sounds very much like the novel I have here called "Three Men in a Raft" by Ben Kozel and it is the story of a South African, Canadian and an Australian who rafted the length of the Amazon. My book is written by the Australian who is on the raft.

Jennie

Betty,

Your book sounds very much like the novel I have here called "Three Men in a Raft" by Ben Kozel and it is the story of a South African, Canadian and an Australian who rafted the length of the Amazon. My book is written by the Australian who is on the raft.

Jennie

Ben Kozel is one of the men who rafted with Colin, the Canadian..Wonder if Scott, the South African also wrote a book...Will try to get Ben's book.. Would be interesting to get another prospective... Enjoy your cruise.. Betty

Archived