POA Dining Questions, etc.

travel1

I have been confused with recent postings that describe the need and how to get reservations for dining. When you board the ship, can you and should you get reservations for the specality restaurants for the entire week. Also do you need to get reservations for the main dining room. Should you get

them days ahead.

What about room service for dinner ? Do they have a menu for dining or just

the "sandwich type" menu.

We are veteran cruisers (21), but this ship and its dining policies seem unusual. I am assuming I don't need a jacket. Any information will be appreciated.

P.S. Do they make box lunches to take ashore.

I was on the POA in 2004. The Pride of Aloha has two main restaurants, three specialty restaurants and the buffet.

You cannot and do not need reservations for the main restaurants. You just walk up during their operating hours (5:30-9:30) and ask for a table for how ever many there are of you, just like any restaurant on shore. There may be a wait for a table to open unless you are there early (before 6:15) or late (after 8:00). You can dine either with just your party (any number, a nice table for 2 perhaps?) or you can ask to be seated with others.

The specialty restaurants require reservations and have a cover charge of between $15-$25 per person. You can make resevations by phone from your stateroom or at a table in the main lobby.

You do not have to have a jacket ANY night on ANY NCL ship. All formal nights are OPTIONAL. On Hawaii cruises only about 30% will dress up even on formal night and that will range from tuxes to shirt/tie. Another 30% will be in Hawaiian attire and the other 40% will be resort casual. (polo shirt and kahkis. No shorts, t-shirts or jeans.) This applies to all restaurants on all nights.

I was not impressed with the dinner and lunch room service menus and I have never heard of them preparing box lunches.

I posted the wrong ship. We will be on the POAm. I assume what you replied holds true for the POAm. Thanks for the info?

Here's a list of the Pride of America restaurants:

Skyline Dining Room (Main Dining Room)

Cuisine: Continental

Surcharge: No

Reservations Required: No

Liberty Dining Room (Main Dining Room)

Cuisine: Continental

East Meets West

Cuisine: Japanese, Thai, Chinese (Sushi, Sashimi, Teppanyaki)

Surcharge: Yes, $12.50 plus tax per person

Reservations Required: Yes

Jefferson's Bistro

Cuisine: French

Surcharge: Yes, $15 plus tax per person

Lazy J's Texas Steakhouse

Cuisine: Upscale Steakhouse

Surcharge: Yes, $15 plus tax per person

Cadillac Diner

Cuisine: 50's-style diner

Aloha Café

Cuisine: Assorted Buffet, including a kid-sized buffet area

Little Italy

Cuisine: Italian

Key West Bar & Grill

Cuisine: Grill Food

24 Hours

I really appreciate your list. I just want to clarify one thing. When you say reservations required - no. Is it possible to make reservations. Are others making reservations, and you are not, so you may have more of a wait?

I think the answer to this is no. I think that if no reservations are required, also, they are not allowed.

Thank you.

If a restaurant does not require resevations, the main restaurants, you can only get reservations in that restaurant if you are a large group (8 or more and are restricted to 5:30, 5:45, 6:00 or after 8:00 reservation times) or if you have one of the top suites on board and use the consierge.

Lobster night is usually the first OPTIONAL formal night on board. (and be warned, it is not whole Lobster but lobster tails.)

The only 1/2 price nights I have seen on NCL ships are the first night and generally require a coupon from a coupon book that some TA's can get for their clients. (we had them on our Dawn cruise - it is actually a 2 for the price of 1 coupon.)

In the specialty restaurants, you can have as many appetizers, salads, sides and desserts that you want. It is only the main course that costs again.

Archived