Pearl Harbor Question

my1stcruz

(Also, I know it's a quibble, but as tix aren't "sold" I think it's more accurate to say that the day's tix might be "gone" or "out." That way there won't be any confusion.)

beachchick

You're right - I must have been snoozing because as I look over my post, not only did I omit the "out" part as in "sold out", but it should have been worded differently to connotate not available.

I also posted that when we were there, the people working at Pearl said that in recent weeks, there wasn't much of an afternoon crowd. they didn't understand why, but it just was that way. Still, do you want to get to Pearl in the afternoon and be told that there are no more tours available??. Makes no sense. Just go in the AM, get your ticket and enjoy it. always better to play it safe and accomplish what needs to get doen.

I also posted that when we were there, the people working at Pearl said that in recent weeks, there wasn't much of an afternoon crowd. they didn't understand why, but it just was that way. Still, do you want to get to Pearl in the afternoon and be told that there are no more tours available??. Makes no sense. Just go in the AM, get your ticket and enjoy it. always better to play it safe and accomplish what needs to get doen.

I don't know - I think that not getting up at the crack of dawn on vacation and waiting in lines for (quite possibly) hours (with kids) to get tickets and then more wait time for the actual tour makes sense to me. Especially in our case, doing a land vacation allowed us flexibility to come back another day if tickets were no longer available on a particular day, and there were plenty of other things to do in the area if that were the case. I'm not advising for or against any time strategy - just sharing my own experience and what worked for us. Also I'm sure it depends on your vacation plan priorities. Although we most definitely wanted to go to Pearl Harbor, it was not a "reason for going to Hawaii" priority.

You must must get there early, they only have a limited number of tickets for each day and once they have been allocated that's it.

We were there for 6.45am and by the time the ticket desk opened at 7.30 the queue was miles long.

What about booking an excursion through NCL for going to Pearl Harbor, etc. the day our ship (POH) returns to Honolulu? Our flights home will not be leaving until late at night, so we are really considering the excursion that does all this in addition to the Polynesian Cultural Center. If you purchase through NCL, will we still have long lines, etc.?

Pearl Harbour and the Arizona Memorial are they on the same location/entrance?

The Arizona Memorial is in the bay of Pearl Harbor, check:

http://www.nps.gov/usar

The only way to get tickets is to go there, stay in line and get them.

(And hope you have to wait less then 2 hrs before it is your turn to see the movie and board the shuttle to the memorial)

No pre-ordering in any way, no specials if you are in a group.

The Arizona Memorial is in the bay of Pearl Harbor, check:

http://www.nps.gov/usar

The only way to get tickets is to go there, stay in line and get them.

(And hope you have to wait less then 2 hrs before it is your turn to see the movie and board the shuttle to the memorial)

No pre-ordering in any way, no specials if you are in a group.

Thank Ine for the link....I've bookmarked it and will read it later today! Wonder if we go there on an excursion how they get everyone in and out at the same time?

Thank Ine for the link....I've bookmarked it and will read it later today! Wonder if we go there on an excursion how they get everyone in and out at the same time?

Well the best they can do is get everyone in line at the same time. Other than that, they can't do anything. They cannot guarantee that you'll get a specific tour time or that everyone will be on the same tour. There are no exceptions for anyone for any reason. Period. (Okay, I'm going to guess that Pearl Harbor survivors would be given an exception, but that's it.)

beachchick

We were there this past wednesday, showed up at 7:30. Line was what seemed to be a mile long. Once the counter opened though, it moved quickly, we got tickets for an 8:30 showing and were out by about 11. (we did hang out by the museum and check out the store after getting back from the USS Arizona).

We will be trying to visit the memorial on Fri. Dec. 29. We will have been docked overnight and our rental car will (hopefully) be parked in a garage fairly close to the cruise ship terminal. That means that we can be up and at'em as early as we want so, since it is a holiday week, how early should we get started? I HATE to get up early but, I'm willing to do it ,if I have to, for this once in a lifetime excursion.

Also, does anyone know how close we can park our rental to the pier?

kluv2cruz, depends whether you think around 8 miles is too far to walk ... I certainly do!

If you don't want to hire car or go on a coach tour, The Bus, Honolulu's public transit bus system, can take you from near Aloha Tower to the Visitors Centre in a little over 30 min on Routes 20 or 42 (those are the ones I know about, but may be more - see www.thebus.org

Archived