Shore Excursions Misleading

I was thinking about booking my shore excursions before I sail in 2 weeks, but I came across something on the Carnival page that disturbs me. I am planning on booking Off the beaten Path in Grand Cayman ($$) and Ocho Rios ATV Adventure in Ocho ($). According to Carnival's website $ is less the 50 and $$ is up to 99. When I logged in to book them, Off the beaten path was not listed but the Grand Cayman Jeep Adventure was (these are supposed to be two different excursions) and Ocho Rios ATV Adventure is saying it is 109!!! This doesnt seem right and very misleading. Has anyone else had this problem before, and wouldI be safe to wait to book till I board the ship? I really want to do these excursions, but I do not want to over pay for the one. Very confused. Please help!!:confused:

Those little $$$ are only for references to give you an idea-at-a-glance what the cost is. The excursion will be the same price on the ship as on the website - unless they have a price increase along the way.

It is not unusual for cruiselines to drop an excursion for one reason or another.:p

I agree with the site on excursions is misleading. I know the excursions are not done by Carnival, but if they are going to make a peice of the pie (money) they should have more detailed exursion descriptions. My 21 month old daughter is coming along, and it was very hard to decide on an excursion not knowing how long the trip to this or that place was, which is a HUGE deal with a toddler... I try to save the sanity of the people that have to ride with us!!!! but they are misleading and do not tell you enough details!! It's our first cruise and we are scared to NOT book an excursion with Carnival and do it on our own since we have NO idea what we're doing!!!!!

I feel the same way Caitlinmama. This is my first cruise, but I am going as a single, and I feel better doing it through the ship. I know it will cost more, but concerning the circumstances I feel more secure, especially in Ocho.

You can call the shore excursion desk, an operator will direct you to it, they can actually call the operator of the tour and ask the questions that they can not answer. I have even been given the number to call myself when they can't get ahold of them.

I am looking at the Off the Beaten Path myself for GC, I hope you will post a review when you get back. It's alot of money for 4 it would be nice to know if it is worth it.

I agree with the site on excursions is misleading. they should have more detailed exursion descriptions. My 21 month old daughter is coming along, and it was very hard to decide on an excursion not knowing how long the trip to this or that place was, which is a HUGE deal with a toddler... ! but they are misleading and do not tell you enough details!! It's our first cruise and we are scared to NOT book an excursion with Carnival and do it on our own since we have NO idea what we're doing!!!!!

I am not sure what you are looking at, but if you click onthe details of each excursion it gives you duration of the excurion, and does give more detail. It will also give you details, like on cave tubing in Belize, not for under 12 years of age, closed toed shoes are recommended, 45 minute walk, etc.

Also If you have a specific question about an excursion ask away, there are many people on this site that have taken the excursion with CCL or with an outside guide and they would be more than happy to help.

Also If you have a specific question about an excursion ask away, there are many people on this site that have taken the excursion with CCL or with an outside guide and they would be more than happy to help.

I know I tried doing that on the Ports of Call boards for some of the excursions, and have not heard back anything. Not really helpful when no one answers you.

Also be careful on the wording of the excursions, if something says "visit" then you will make a stop, if it says "view" as in as we drive through the historic town you will view....the blah, blah blah, usually means you might slow down to 50 mph and get to look at whatever through the bus windows. I am still paying for this mistake with my DH. He didn't get to visit the Citadel in Halifax and he never lets me forget it.

I agree! There is a big difference in three of the most popular "words" in a brochure..

Visit: you're gonna stop

View: You are gonna go through it

See: You might "see" it as you pass by

It is really important one understands the difference, fer sure.:p

Archived