AOS - Sept '06

We have cruised on Royal twice before, but never on Adventure of the Seas. I am looking for any useful information anyone can provide. It is our ten year wedding anniversary. We decided to bring our two children (ages 9 & 12) because we didn't have anyone who could watch them while we were gone.

Specifically I am looking to know:

Shore excursions! What is worth it and what isn't. We are not sit on the beach people. We are more into active excursions. We are also staying a night before and after in Puerto Rico. Has anyone done the rain forest on own - or is it better to do it through one of the excursions? I don't mind spending the money, but I hate wasting it! Also, would like to include some historical and educational experiences for the kids. They are being pulled out of school for this trip and I would like to say they learned something! Has anyone gone to any of the museums? San Juan has a few and there is an archaeological museum in Aruba. Also, the Forts seem interesting and of course the rain forest.

Childrens Pool: Is there a water slide?

Spa: I really want to book an appointment for a massage for my husband on our anniversary as a treat, but I have heard appointments book up quickly. I have never used the spa on our previous trips - any advice? Should it be the very first thing I do when we get on board?

Any other tidbits would be great! I have been looking at all of the posts I can find on the subjects!

Thanks!

-Michele

Royal Caribbean Sovereign - '97

Big Red Boat - '98

Norweigian Majesty '04

Royal Caribben Majesty '05

Royal Caribbean Adventure '06 - 54 days until sailing!

I have learned a great deal from the "Ports of Call" section on cruise critic. A few years ago my DH & I went to El Yunque rainforest and, to be honest, I was disappointed. It wasn't like other forests we had seen. On the way back we got caught in a storm and all of the town lost power. The intersections were a mess! I was very thankful I had done a ship excursion, even more thankful i had not rented a car. Our driver was amazing at his navigation. WE are staying pre/post cruise for our May 07 cruise in Puerto Rico. The pre night we are touring Old San Juan and the post night we are visiting Bio Bay. The kids are really excited about this excursion! If the moon isn't near full or full you may want to consider this excursion! There are lots of links in the Ports of Call board. No matter what it's a beautiful island! Have fun!

Karen

We have sailed on the AOS twice....once with the kids (9 and 12). The kids marveled at the boat, so we took a time to tour and learn about the boat.

As for excursions. you mentioned Aruba I am assuming you are also doing Curacao and St. Maarten and St. Thomas as well?

Aruba-DO NOT HORSEBACK RIDE. Unless you and the kids are experienced riders. The terrain in rugged; the guides are horrible and the horses and equiptment are not safe. Our first trip was great, but we booked on our own (you can not do that now....cruiseline has contract with them). The last trip we had 10 family members, there were also 10 other with us. The trip had 2 guides, one was brand new...the saddles are old, some without horns and were not attached properly. I needed to get off and adjust my saddle correctly myself, my cousin's saddle came off on the ride and he was thrown, then the guide's horse trampled him after he kicked it. This caused utter CHAOS, my daughter's horse took off and it was 5 minutes before we realized she was gone (I was in the back and could not see the front of the line) when I realized she was gone I took off after her. The guide yelled at me and tried to pull me off my horse to get back in line. He said he would try and find her, since that was unacceptable I took off again and found her horse behind a bush eating. The guide never even came to look for her or me. There is more, but I think you get the point.

Curacao-if you have ever wanted to learn to scuba dive you MUST to the Shark dive at the Seaquarium....either way if you love sea life go to the Seaquarium. I have done the dive twice and LOVE IT, you don't need to be certified and they give you the equiptment and the training for the dive. The staff is great and it is an amazing feeling. You feed the rays and then feed the turtles and sharks behind a plexiglass wall. The also have the Dolphin swim, which my kids loved and they now have a Sea Lion encounter too.

St Thomas-we did a few snorkels and they were ok....nothing to right home about. Maybe someone else can give you more specifics.

St Maarten-THIS IS THE BEST EXCURSION......AMERICA'S CUP SAILING REGATTA. We have done this twice and are about to do again in 2 weeks. The kids loved helping on the boat and my daughter actually got to steer and captain for part of the race. My DH and I love to do the work, we are both main grinders and although it is hard work, it is a blast.

Hope this helps....ENJOY THE AOS as much as we do.

If you want to educate the kids a bit (I am a 7th grade history teacher) definately do the forts in Old San Juan PR. You can do these on your own very cheaply. San Cristobal and El Morro are old Spanish forts and are choc full of cool diplays. Uniforms, weapons, living quarters, etc. These are U.S. monuments so there are also experienced park rangers there that will give you a good educational tour if you want it! I would advise taking a taxi from the pier, it cost us $12, to San Cristobal. There you can buy admission for both forts and then walk or take the free trolley to El Morro. Also, when you leave port you will sail past El Morro and be able to see it fairly well due to the lighthouse there.

what to do around OSJ; here are some recommendations from our tourism department:

WALKING TOUR OF OLS SAN JUAN

Narrow cobblestone streets, colorful colonial buildings, centuries-old fortresses overlooking the Atlantic Ocean, fascinating museums and art galleries, handcrafts on the corners - and everything bathed by a tropical breeze - these are some of the characteristics of legendary Old San Juan.

Wear comfortable shoes and light clothing, grab your camera, and get ready to marvel at the perfect marriage of the past and the present on the very lived-in streets. A walking tour is a wonderful way to get acquainted with the Old City. If you need a break, hop aboard the no-charge trolley cars that make the rounds to and from La Puntilla and Covadonga parking lots at one of the clearly marked stops.

La Casita – Your Old San Juan adventure begins at La Casita, or The Little House, the yellow building located in Plaza de la Dársena that houses a Puerto Rico Tourism Company Information Center. Open Mon. through Wed. from 8:30 AM to 8:00 PM; Thur. and Fri. until 5:30 PM; Sat. and Sun. from 9:00 AM to 8:00 PM. There is an outdoor crafts market around the building that is open Sat. and Sun. from 9:30 AM to 10:00 PM and Mon. and Tues. from 11:00 AM to 9:30 PM. The crafts market schedule may vary according to cruise ship itineraries. Tel. (787) 722-1709.

San Juan Bay – La Casita overlooks San Juan Bay. It is the busiest ocean port in the Caribbean, bringing in half of the region’s trade and over one million cruise ship visitors a year. Bayside shops carry everything from gold jewelry to island arts and crafts. At Casa Don Q Puerto Rico, located across the street from Pier 1, you can learn about Destilería Serrallés, a rum distillery established in 1865… and sample its award-winning products.

La Muralla – As the promenade continues, it follows the curve of the bay and leads you to La Muralla, or city wall. Built mostly between 1539 and 1641 using sandstone blocks up to 20 feet thick, the wall was completed in 1782. It protected the city against enemy attacks. At the western mouth of the bay you will see Isla de Cabras (Goat Island), and a small Spanish fort built in 1610.

Museo de Doña Fela – From La Fortaleza, go to Recinto Oeste Street and turn right on Caleta de San Juan Street. There you will find Museo de Doña Fela, the original residence of Felisa Rincón de Gautier, the first woman to become Mayor of San Juan. This museum features personal belongings, period memorabilia, and awards granted to this exceptional woman. Open weekdays from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM Tel. (787) 723-1897.

Casa Rosada – The lovely house in front of La Rogativa is Casa Rosada, or Pink House. It was built in 1812 for the Spanish army and is now a day care center for government employees’ children.

Plazuela de la Rogativa – From Museo de Doña Fela, return to Recinto Oeste Street and climb the hill to reach Plazuela de la Rogativa, a small plaza with a bronze sculpture by Lindsay Daen. The work recreates the day a bishop and his companions frightened away British troops during a 1797 attack on the city by carrying torches and chanting. The enemies thought the procession was local troop reinforcements.

Casa Blanca – Take the upper road along a plant-decked wall to a doorway above Casa Rosada. This is one of the five entrances to Casa Blanca, or the White House. For 250 years it was the residence of the descendents of Juan Ponce de León, the first governor of Puerto Rico. The house is now a museum of 16th and 17th century family life and houses a miniature replica of a Taíno village. The garden is open daily from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Entrance fee is $2.00 for adults and $1.00 for senior citizens and children. Tel. (787) 724-1454.

Fuerte San Felipe del Morro – Exit Casa Blanca through Recinto Oeste Street. Straight ahead is Fuerte San Felipe del Morro or El Morro fortress, rising majestically 140 feet above the sea. El Morro (meaning “promontory” in Spanish), surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean and San Juan Bay, is the most striking of the city’s military fortifications. It was built between 1540 and 1783 to protect San Juan from attack by sea. Among its many attractions is a maze of secret tunnels and dungeons, and a small museum with information on its history. Along with San Cristóbal Fort, El Morro has been designated a National Historic Site and is part of a World Heritage Site. It is administered by the U.S. National Park Service. Open daily from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM. English tours depart at 11:00 AM and 3:00 PM. Entrance fee is $2.00 for adults and $1.00 for senior citizens and children. No entrance fee for children under 12. Tel. (787) 729-6960.

Plaza de Hostos – The small square in front of Plaza de la Dársena, near La Casita, is Plaza de Hostos. This square features artisans’ displays, snack stands, and the traditional piragüeros, vendors who sell shaved ice topped with tropical fruit syrups.

Paseo La Princesa – Near Plaza de la Marina and a statue honoring the Puerto Rican immigrant, you will find Paseo La Princesa. It is a promenade lined with trees, pocket parks, sculptures, and benches, and leads to a magnificent fountain with a bronze sculpture by Luis Sanguino depicting the island’s cultural roots.

La Princesa – Midway through the promenade is La Princesa itself, a former jail and now headquarters of the Puerto Rico Tourism Company. The restored building features a gallery of Puerto Rican art with permanent and visiting exhibitions. Tel. (787) 721-2400.

Puerta de San Juan – The promenade leads to the red-painted Puerta de San Juan or San Juan Gate, where you re-enter the city. This is one of six original massive wooden doors that centuries ago were closed at sundown to protect the residents.

La Fortaleza – Go through the doorway and make a right on Recinto Oeste Street to La Fortaleza. It is a palatial structure built in 1540 and the oldest governor’s mansion in the Western Hemisphere still in use. Guided tours are available weekdays, except holidays, from 9:00 AM to 3:30 PM; tours in English every hour, in Spanish every half hour. Schedules are subject to change. Proper attire required. Tel. (787) 721-7000, ext. 2358.

In the old San Juan Area are lot of places to eat for different tastes and budget. Here are some examples of them with their average prices per dish:

Aguaviva

364 Fortaleza St.

San Juan, PR 00901

(787) 722-0665

Sea Food

Price Range: $26 to $50

Al Dente

309 Recinto Sur, Old San Juan

San Juan, PR 00901

(787) 723-7303

Fax (787) 724-7224

Italian

Al Dente is known for its authentic Italian cuisine, fresh pasta and innovative recipes. The restaurant's best-sellers -- spinach balls with rice, ricotta cheese, and pink sauce). Al Dente boasts a large wine selection and a wine bar including 15 different house wines. Located in an historical building, the decor of this charming ristorante will transport you to Palermo, native city of the chef and owner Giancarlo Amenta. Closed Sundays.

Price Range: $16 to $25

Amadeus

106 San Sebastian St. Old San Juan

San Juan, PR 00902

(787) 722-8635

International

This charming restaurant offers a nouvelle Caribbean menu. The roster of appetizers includes buffalo wings and plantain mousse with shrimp. Chicken breast stuffed with sun-dried tomatoes, cheese ravioli with a goat-cheese-and-walnut sauce, and Cajun-grilled mahimahi are a few of the delectable entrées.

Price Range: $8 to $15

Ambrosia

250 Cristo St., Old San Juan

San Juan, PR 00901

(787) 722-5206

International

This European style café is the perfect place to have drinks on the Old San Juan cobble stoned Del Cristo Street.

Price Range: under $8

Baru

150 San Sebastián ST., Old San Juan

San Juan, PR 00901

787) 977-7107

Middle Eastern

Barrachina Cafe

104 Calle La Fortaleza, Old San Juan

San Juan, PR 00901

(787) 725-7912

International

Cafe Puerto Rico

208 O'Donell St., Old San Juan

San Juan, PR 00901

(787) 724-2281

Puerto Rican

Carli Cafe Concierto

206 Tetuán St Rafael Carrión Plaza, Banco Popular Bldg., Old San Juan

San Juan, PR 00901

(787) 725-4927

Puerto Rican

Continental creations include duck rissolé, cod dumplings, breast and leg of duck, and filet of salmon with mustard-cream sauce.

Chaumiere

367 Tetuan St., Old San Juan

San Juan, PR 00901

(787) 722-3330

French

Located behind the famous Tapia Theater. Specialties include the onion soup, Oysters Rockefeller, Rack of Lamb, Scallops Provencale and Veal Oscar.

Dragonfly

364 Fortaleza St.

San Juan, PR 00901

(787) 977-3886

Chinese

Menu offering an eclectic Chinese-Latin fusion cuisine. Try the delicious Peking Duck Nachos or the Quesadilla Spring Rolls. There is full bar service available and a wine list. Open Sunday-Wednesday 6 p.m. - 11 p.m. and Thursday-Saturday 6 p.m.-midnight.

Parrot Club

363 Fortaleza Street, Old San Juan

San Juan, PR 00901

(787)725-7370

Sea Food/International

The club offers food and a wide variety of drinks along with an unique mixture of Latino hospitality and ophisticated cosmopolitan ambience.

Patio de Sam

102 San Sebastian St., Old San Juan

San Juan, PR 00901

(787) 723-1149

Puerto Rican

The menu is mostly steaks and seafood, with a few native dishes like asopao mixed in. The dessert flans melt in your mouth.

Señor Frog's

104 Paseo Portuario Local M-3, Comercio Street, Old San Juan

San Juan, PR 00907

(787) 977-4142

International

International cuisine featuring Mexican dishes. Bar, and nightly entertainment with band.

Price Range: under $8

Please let me know if you need anything else on where I can help you.

• 1 month later...

If shopping is your thing here are our observations. Aruba is a bit pricey across the board. Curacao is good across the board but best for dutch influenced items. St Maartin is best for liquor, cigarettes and Cuban cigars. My wife says that the best buys in jewelry are to be had here as well but others favor St Thomas. Be sure to stop at Mr Tablecloth for great buys on linens of all sorts. There is a Mr Tablecloth in St Thomas as well (downtown, not at Havensight Mall near the ship). St Thomas is known for its shopping. We think St Maartin is a little better but that is our opinion. Havensight Mall is a large shopping complex right at the dock in St Martin if you don't want to venture far. There are also lots of the same shops downtown (that's where Mr Tablecloth is in St Thomas) and there is an open air market near downtown as well (in between town and dock but nearer to town). These are our opinions and others may differ. Bon Voyage!

I had a great experience with Rancho Notorious on our trip to Aruba. I've ridden since I was 10 and taught riding since I was 16. The equipment I saw when I was there was certainly not fancy, but was well-cared for and serviceable. (Saddles that have no horns are English saddles, BTW, not saddles that are falling apart.) I can't speak to azcrdfn's experience, obviously, but I would agree that children shouldn't partake in any group horseback riding activity unless they have riding experience. However, for adults, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the ranch and the excursion to anyone. One piece of advice - let the staff know if you don't have experience with riding. They will match your experience level to a horse to make sure you have a good time and are safe.

We enjoyed the BOB excursion and the helmet dive, both in St. Thomas. The helmet dive was through the aquarium, which might offer more education experiences for your kids than BOB. In PR, we did the El Yunque excursion through the ship just to avoid driving on unfamiliar roads. I'm sure for a family you could do it more cheaply on your own if you're comfortable driving on highways and the narrow mountain roads leading up the mountain.

Azcrdfn, thanks for the info on the Curacao shark dive. We'll be doing that in a few weeks and I am REALLY excited about it!

The AOS is a great ship, and this is a great itinerary. I'm sure you will have a fabulous time.

Archived