Why Pay Xtra for Food

ezmony54

We got a salmon mouse creation, and a portabello mushroom creation, they were delicious!!! The little desert bites they sent out I didn't care for, but you know what? I had just had a magnificent triple chocolate thing, have you ever watched the Iron Chef America? food is plated like that. the Chocolate Bitter or something like that was actually a triple (small dishes) of a warm dark chocolate creation, a small tiramisu and a chocolate mouse with fresh raspberries. It was awesome.

The porterhouse my husband got was fork tender and perfect, my lamb was absolutely heaven. I was terribly impressed and pretty sure that the money paid maybe supports the food purchased, I don't think they make a profit.

If you're a true foodie and truly enjoy a great meal, this is for you, and I bet you will be wowed. If your not picky about food ( such as being perfectly happy to graze in the cafeteria) then you should skip it.

Sounds great!!! ( I have watched IC America. Original Japan version, too)

Biggest challenge now is finding someone to join me on a cruise on the Conquest. :)

Our waitress comes out and tells us that the chef has prepared a special treat for us and would like us to try it. She then brings us out three bent spoons with something on it that we have no idea of what it is or how to eat it. Shortly after that, she comes back out and wants to know what we think of it. We lie and say it was wonderful.

......Waitress brings out more experiments from the chef. More lies.

:D Dick, your 'review' is taken in the spirit it was meant...an honest evaluation, and nicely worded.

However, as a retired chef, I have to make one little comment. Your little fibs about enjoying the mystery experiments... You did the chef a great injustice by saying they were wonderful. Really. He did want an honest opinion. If enough negative comments, he would discontinue the particular item(s).

I would often experiment, and send 'tastings' out to our regular customers. I wanted their honest thoughts. Even though I thought my 'latest stroke of genius' was fantastic, I needed our customer's opinions. See? Now, I really do think your server should have explained what was in your 'sample' when she brought it to you.

Anyhoo - I enjoyed reading your review.:)

Cotton, I had no idea you were a chef (retired or not)! As a former flight attendant, I've traveled all over the world and without a doubt, the best food I have ever eaten has been in New Orleans. Know you're not from New Orleans but I can't spell Mississippi (sp) . . . :D

I'm always puzzled by comments expressing annoyance at cruiselines looking for "another way to make money?" What? And risk jeopardizing their tax-exempt non-profit status? :)

I am glad the cruiselines find ways to make extra revenue. I enjoy being able to get a very good, complete vacation experience at an affordable price, with the OPTION to pay extra for whatever perks I choose, WHEN I choose them. I like having the option to CHOOSE whether I want to pay an extra $30pp for a PREMIUM dinner on any given night. I prefer that to having to pay a higher price for a cruise that has FANTASTIC food EVERY night. It gives me more flexibility over how I spend my money, especially given that I may not even feel like getting dressed for dinner every night.

If I decide it's worth it to me to pay an extra $30 for premium dining, or $100 on photos and Carnival makes a nice profit margin off it, it's a win-win. It helps keep the cruise more affordable overall, and that's Carnival's niche. It's not as though the basic experience is substandard -- it's great.

Point well taken. While I've never paid extra for "premium" dining . . . I sure as heck have paid a fortune for those darn pictures (and plan to do so again on my September cruise)!

Hi LadyC - :D On the contrary, I AM from N.O., born and bred! My family lived in a lovely old Garden District home, and that's where I lived until I went off to LSU. I love my hometown! I married a Bay St. Louis boy and we settled in Gulfport to raise our family. After he passed away and the children were off on their own, I had two homes - an apt. in the Quarter (and working at two restaurants), and also kept my home on the coast.

One of my best friends is a flight attendant for Delta - has been with them for 30+ years!

BTW - You spelled Mississippi perfectly!:)

We're planning on booking the supper club one night on our cruise because we just want to see, do and experience everything that the cruise life has to offer. (Can you tell I'm a newbie at this? ;) )

I will eat at the buffet, main dining and here too. Plus I'll order room service and eat at the pizza place too. I just want to do it all! I think it's a small extra price to pay for another perspective on the dining.

Kim

:D On the contrary, I AM from N.O., born and bred! My family lived in a lovely old Garden District home, and that's where I lived until I went off to LSU. I love my hometown! I married a Bay St. Louis boy and we settled in Gulfport to raise our family. After he passed away and the children were off on their own, I had two homes - an apt. in the Quarter (and working at two restaurants), and also kept my home on the coast.

One of my best friends is a flight attendant for Delta - has been with them for 30+ years!

You spelled Mississippi perfectly!:)

You have to be kidding . . . I actually spelled Mississippi right? My fourth grade spelling teacher would be proud . . . I just spelled it the way it sounded. Tee Hee!

I love New Orleans . . . used to have layovers there all the time from the late 60's to the late 80's (when I few for United . . . still have friends that are flying after thirty-nine years . . . haven't a clue how they can still push those darn carts up and down the aisles). The last time I was in New Orleans was when my son was checking out Tulane University (in 1996). We stayed at a little B&B on St. Charles and I was so excited to take him to some of the restaurants that I loved. He agreed . . . New Orleans has the best food in the world! But then again . . . I've never eaten in one of Carnivals speciality restaurants . . . :D

We're planning on booking the supper club one night on our cruise because we just want to see, do and experience everything that the cruise life has to offer. (Can you tell I'm a newbie at this? ;) )

I will eat at the buffet, main dining and here too. Plus I'll order room service and eat at the pizza place too. I just want to do it all! I think it's a small extra price to pay for another perspective on the dining.

Kim

Lovin' your outlook on dining experiences, KAWS. Hope you have a fabulous new adventure!

Enjoy the evening, all.

Thank you all for taking time for your replies. I think I will just enjoy the dinning room food that is paid for and that i enjoy so much and save the dollars to take better half out to special dining when we are on dry land.By the way wife perfers Ruth Chris and I perfer Outback and the dollars have nothing to do with it. And Cotton I would have loved to bring my wife to your place and tried it in New Orleans. Plan on taking her to Emerils sometimes soon but I am truly a Paula fan myself.......Yall have a great day, ez

Ezmony - we have dined in the specialty restaurants on many different ships/lines. We like the dining room better, too. At first the specialty ones were free & now upcharges are getting higher. My husband is more picky than me, I enjoyed every one of them. His beef was whenever our son ordered a porterhouse, he kept getting a t-bone. Also - the steaks were tough. THis had to do with quality as they were cooked to perfection. My husband cooks in our home & he knows the difference. Another increasing problem is in the dining room, you can try different dishes. In the specialties they are more limiting. On HAL ships the sides or vegetables were not all great. The clam chowder was great - all 3 tablespoons of it.

Our last cruise on Disney was not the same. The food everywhere was fresh, cooked beautifully & tasted outrageous. Their Italian restaurant(specialty) is probably the best of 10-14 we have eaten in. Everything was great but what made it more special was the attention to us and the attention to detail in all of their dishes they presented to us. It was easily 5 courses & a special 'plate' decorated for our graduate. The whole staff was on their game - price $10.00 each for 11 people & worth much more. We have sailed on many ships but this blew me away. By, the by - I usually order the filet mignon, etc & get creme brulee on other ships. Here I ordered salmon & chocolate souflee -- WOW!!!

I guess what I am saying is each ship is different. I want to add, we went to casual dining on the Magic one night(I was totally not convinced until I got there) - it is where the buffet is on the lido during the day -- pleasant surprise as it was a sit-down casual affair & the boys said the ceasar salad was the best they ever had. Oh, all the meals here were done on the spot, too. I do believe I am seeing more of this on the other lines now, too. My steak rivaled Outback, too.

I think you need to factor in that the surcharge is $30.00 per person (plus gratuity) and a portion of the cruise fare that is allocated to eating dinner elsewhere. To me, that equates to approx $ 40.00-50.00 pp for just your meal, no drinks. That might not be such a great bargain.

Well - I think for now (have until November) we will plan on no specialty restaurants. But that might change. Me, I am heading for the tea at sea parties!!!!

You have to be kidding . . . I actually spelled Mississippi right? My fourth grade spelling teacher would be proud . . . I just spelled it the way it sounded. Tee Hee!

I love New Orleans . . . used to have layovers there all the time from the late 60's to the late 80's (when I few for United . . . still have friends that are flying after thirty-nine years . . . haven't a clue how they can still push those darn carts up and down the aisles). The last time I was in New Orleans was when my son was checking out Tulane University (in 1996). We stayed at a little B&B on St. Charles and I was so excited to take him to some of the restaurants that I loved. He agreed . . . New Orleans has the best food in the world! But then again . . . I've never eaten in one of Carnivals speciality restaurants . . . :D

You said it like it is!!!!! NO is great & the food, outrageous. Don't care if it was Emerils or just a little place off the street. Went there the last time right after 9/11 for business & stayed for a few extra days. We didn't stay at the convention hotel (big Marriott) but a 40 room hotel just a block away. We were showered with attention & the hotel was filled with antiques.

My best friend & her brother are from NO & both graduated from LSU. She is a quintescential(sic) Southern Lady, right down the dress & hat.

Thank you for the memories & most of all, my friend!

I agree with your brother. The dining room food is fine. And it has nothing to do with your budget. We always pay for balcony cabins, but never eat in the supper club. Our choice.

Ditto - food just isn't "the thing" for me on a cruise! I enjoy the food and service in the dining room enough, paying more for better food and service just isn't a priority for me!

However, I do like being on an upper deck with a nice extended balcony and will gladly pay more for the privilege. I will also pay $16 plus tip for one of those ridiculous coco-locos that come in a huge coconut shell carved into a money's head with a little paper umbrella! Hey - we all have our priorities! Whatever floats your boat! ;)

IMG_1169.jpg

Archived