Best way to pack a suit sans garment bag?

GIJanet

Okay, I'll probably win the prize for stupidest question ever asked, but we have so much stuff to lug. What is the best way to pack a suit if you want to forego a garment bag? Is there a way where it won't look like it was slept in? Thanks for any ideas or expertise. Janet We leave in three days..........yikes~!

why not just rent a tux on board and then you dont have to carry the suit-shirts and ties -that what i do as well as a lot of others --btw how do you plan to carry your sports jacket and slacks without a garment bag

We always carry a garment bag with my DH's dinner suit and reefer jacket inside it. When we board the plane, the first thing we ask the flight attendant is for her to hang the garment bag up. This is not a suitcase type of garment bag but a plastic one with a zip up the centre that comes when one buys a suit or a special outfit.

It is so easy to retrieve at the end of the flight and to just carry off the aircraft. Nothing inside has ever been creased.

The rest of my husband's trousers go on the hangers which are part of our Samonsite suitcases and are placed in the roof of the suitcase.

Jennie

I had the same problem last year, only we were spending 6 weeks travelling around Europe before boarding the Rotterdam in Venice. I got a 23" case from Eddie Bauer that had a section in the lid for a suit on a hanger, a board that you wrap the suit around and a zipper to keep it separate from everything else. I put my dress shirt on the hanger under the suit and laid my tie on top of it. I was amazed that I could take the suit out, hang it up and there were no wrinkles in it.

Another approach is to just stuff it in a bag and get it pressed onboard- works for me.

This is what I was going to suggest! No worries about the suit/tux during travel.

Have a great cruise!

Keep Smiling!!!

Plastic bags from the dry cleaners layered around the folded suit will help keep it somewhat less wrinkled. Then you might hang it some place where it can absorb some of the moisture from the warm shower to help the wrinkles fall out.

Best bet is to have it pressed on board.

It may not even need pressing - depending upon the material. DH bought a suit at a favorite men's store in another state. The needed alterations wouldn't be done before we flew home, so it was shipped. When this incredibably small box arrived, I thought the suit had been shipped in 2 packages. No, the jacket and pants were crammed into this box no larger than a 9x13 pan. I hung it up for DH to see when he got home before I took it to be pressed. Now we've all heard about hanging garments in a steamy bathroom to remove wrinkles, but in even our very arid climate the suit looked perfect by the time DH was home.

Tumi makes some really good luggage that has areas where one can place hanging items such as your tux inside. In addition to the special hanging area (which can be removed and left at home when not needed) I use dry-cleaner bags to help keep the wrinkles down

I'm sure that there are other makers out there w/ similar features, but this is the style I use (I got a discontinued color for @ 1/3 off) and this is incredibly durable luggage - nothing worse than grabbing a handle to pull your bag off the luggage carousel and having it come off in your hand!

62743_1_1?&

62743_Axlrg.jpg

We have a rolling garment bag which we use as our third piece of luggage for the two of us...We carry three pieces to keep the weight within Airline guidlines..We stuff it full with a Tux, Sports Jacket, his slacks, my formal dresses or tops that can't be rolled...Everything is individually packed in dry cleaner bags & only once did I have a top that needed to be pressed..Fortunately my DH's Jackets & Tux can be professionally cleaned & pressed at home..They never need pressing on the ship..:)

For future reference, E-Bags.com has some great bargains on good pieces of luggage with free shipping, but unfortunately it's too late for your cruise...

Also for $12.00-$15.00 a bag you can get laundry done on the ship..They do a beautiful job.. (even press your nightgowns):) .. Just roll up everything very tightly & stuff the corners with socks.. My DH helps me to stuff the bag..LOL..You would be amazed what you can get into these bags..Look in your shipboard book for the info or check with your room steward..

Enjoy your cruise.:) ..Betty

Plastic bags from the dry cleaners layered around the folded suit will help keep it somewhat less wrinkled. Then you might hang it some place where it can absorb some of the moisture from the warm shower to help the wrinkles fall out.

Best bet is to have it pressed on board.

This is just what I do and the plastic dry cleaning bag idea works great...I then simply steam out the few wrinkles and the suit looks wonderful.

If the "GI" of your name indicates that you are military, then check your local PX or NEX.

I have purchased similar items at both Navy & USMC bases for just over $100.

They had both the carry-on size and full size. Many of them will hold 5 or 6 uniforms so it should handle a tux and suit with no problem.

You guys are great. You sure beat the heck out of the cruise guide I bought a while back............and you're much cheaper! :D

Yep, GI does stand for government issue here, but a retired government issue...........dunno if I'll have time to get over to the Joint Reserve Base (the old Carswell), but that's a great idea. I forget to check the PX.

Thanks again for all of your prompt responses. I am reallly getting nervous now...............well, maybe a bit excited, too. Hugs. J.

I am reallly getting nervous now...............well, maybe a bit excited, too. Hugs. J.

Don't be nervous! You're going to have a great time! Have a great cruise.

Robin (who always smashes everything and buys unlimited pressing onboard!)

Archived