ID for small kids...

NJtomato

What type of ID is needed for small kids, 4 & 6, to get on the ship? We will be going to Bermuda next month. My TA said a birth certificate. But, I have not seen it in writing.

What has been everyone's experience?

Do you travel often? We travel regularly, so we just use our passports. Both kids had them starting around 18 mos. old.

Like NJtomato said, make sure the birth certificate is the one issued by the local/state government with a raised seal, watermark, or whatever that agency uses, not the "feel-good" ones hospitals give to new parents.

Thanks everyone. We just booked this cruise and decided to take the kids along. I plan to get passports for them when we return. I didnt want to take the chance of sending off the birth cert. in such a short time frame.

Thanks

As long as you are cruising pre-1/1/07, both parents are travelling with the kids, and everyone has the same last name - for Bermuda you should not be asked for any other ID for the kids.

If only one parent (or no parent) is travelling, you may require additional documentation that proves the child is authorized by both parents to travel. If anyone from the group (mom, dad, kid) has a different last name, you may also want to carry proof that everyone really is related. My sister's family had a 20 minute delay coming back from Canada - they got caught in a random check and since she had gone back to her maiden name at some point after she married (some issue with her re-licensing when she went back to work after a two-year respite after having her son). DS's BC had her name as her old name so her name and her son's name did not match - no big problem, but it was a delay.

Since you don't have time for passports, you'll need the certified birth certificates (not the ones the hospital gives you). I was able to order them for my girls by looking up the county they were born in online and finding instructions for "rush" certified copies - they came within a week, but you may want to go get them in person at this point.

Archived