Jewelry deals?

tw67

I have never been to Cozumel before, but I have been to other islands. I know that some islands are know for good deals on different jewelry or stones. What will I find on Cozumel?

Terry

hey just got back from the inspiration on Monday and the best deals of course was on the silver but look for those fire opals they are so unique i wish i would have bought a ring but i think the heat took my better judgement.

In 2001, my DH bought me a beautiful 1.1 carat diamond at Diamonds International in Cozumel. However, we got them down to half the price they originally quoted. Told them daughter starting college, needed to think about it, etc. After coming home, I immediately took the ring to an independent gemologist, not associated with any jewelry store (as Carnival requires for their guarantee). I told the appraiser my husband "surprised" me with the ring, and I had no idea what he paid for it. (I was there for the purchase, but it was kind of a surprise.) Anyway, the appraisal came back at what the original price was, which was twice what we paid. So.. if you can deal with them- it can be well worth it. If you can't find a deal, I would walk away. I personally wouldn't go anywhere that you can't be sure of what you're buying.

I have never been to Cozumel before, but I have been to other islands. I know that some islands are know for good deals on different jewelry or stones. What will I find on Cozumel?

Terry

If you have the chance to hold out on jewelry purchases until you have the chance to visit St. Maarten, I think you'll get much better merchandise at much better prices, especially on any higher end rings/stones.

This is based on over 20 years of visiting both (and many other) locations.

gary

We do have a favorite spot (hole in the wall) for fish tacos if you're interested.

If you have the chance to hold out on jewelry purchases until you have the chance to visit St. Maarten, I think you'll get much better merchandise at much better prices, especially on any higher end rings/stones.

gary

We do have a favorite spot (hole in the wall) for fish tacos if you're interested.

Gary - 2nd trip there - got my tanzanite earrings in St. Marten & my aquamarine ones there too. I agree - small shopping area but the jewelry was kick but. Also - same trip, huge Caribbean Topaz (night) - earrings. Guess, I should agree with you. And I shop all over, too. This happens to be one of my favorite ports. Can I say Belgian Chocolate??? The port is also very relaxing, too. Cozumel is usually for window shopping - pick up some tequila & drinking - fun with the gang. Grand Cayman is good for shopping quality things, too, tho.

ps - first trip to St. Marten was 1978 - looked a whole lot different - lots of sand, less roads.:D

gary

Gary - where are the fish tacos????

On the waterfront there is a Diver's Memorial. It's an arch sculpture of divers and fish -- quite nice. It's just a block or two from the center of 'town'.

Head up the street that runs into the memorial. On the left hand side in the second or third block up there is a small market that sells ice-cold Sol beers for about a dollar. You go up a couple of steps from the sidewalk, as I recall.

In the next block, also on the left is the taco stand. It's in a semi-vacant lot, with the wall of a building as their backdrop. It's just a few plastic tables and chairs with umbrellas.

If you order a beer, they send someone back to that grocery store for it.

We wandered across it many years ago, and on our last trip we went back with family and friends. It was still the same and everyone loved it, including the picky eater.

gary

p.s. My wife points out that Hurricane Wilma has been through Cozumel since we were last there, but I'd bet the taco stand is still cooking. Let us know.

On the waterfront there is a Diver's Memorial. It's an arch sculpture of divers and fish -- quite nice. It's just a block or two from the center of 'town'.

Head up the street that runs into the memorial. On the left hand side in the second or third block up there is a small market that sells ice-cold Sol beers for about a dollar. You go up a couple of steps from the sidewalk, as I recall.

In the next block, also on the left is the taco stand. It's in a semi-vacant lot, with the wall of a building as their backdrop. It's just a few plastic tables and chairs with umbrellas.

If you order a beer, they send someone back to that grocery store for it.

We wandered across it many years ago, and on our last trip we went back with family and friends. It was still the same and everyone loved it, including the picky eater.

gary

p.s. My wife points out that Hurricane Wilma has been through Cozumel since we were last there, but I'd bet the taco stand is still cooking. Let us know.

Divers memorial still there. Some of the stores have moved or changed. Touch of Gold & Rachet & Romero from what I remember. No steps up to Rachet & Touch is not on the corner any more. It was like soft comfy slippers -- mostly everything stayed the same. Esp the Margaritas!!!!

On our first time to Coz, the kids had their hair braided & found all kinds of inexpensive marble items. Wish I had followed them - said they went up the side streets. :confused: Well, I might try that but they tend to want to party & stop me from shopping --fish tacos tho, yummy - Rachel Ray had some in Seattle last night. Got to try them.

thanks for the info!!! 15 weeks to go -- doesn't seem so long!!!

15 weeks to go -- doesn't seem so long!!!

That's not long AT ALL!

I've been Google Earthing, and I think my estimate of the location may be off. I'm certain of the street, but I think that it just might be in only the second block off the waterfront.

Click:

th_FishTacos.jpg

Archived