Beaches on Caye Caulker??????

drdoman

We read all the boards about Caye Caulker. I understand there is a water taxi from Belize City to Caye Caulker but it's not clear to me if Caye Caulker has a public beach to go to once we get there or just private beaches. Where is the public beach in relation to the dock and how far? Walkable? How large is the beach? Does it have facilities? Is it a nice sandy beach or "jump in the water off rocks/coral"? Anyone have a link to pictures of the beach and of the island itself? Thanks!!!

-- Daryle

(Miracle 9/17/06)

Hi

I recommend Caye Caulker it is nice. We did a local snorkeling tour with Tsunami Adventures by the split. They took us out for a trip and we swam with the sharks and rays. it was excellent. we are now going back for a longer stay. here is a beach picture. you can check here for the local information about the island. www.gocayecaulker.com

I highly recommend caye caulker. the reef is right in front, very pretty.

2109975118_thebeach.jpg.ea8bd87f7c9a7b6d19e2d2ceda86c206.jpg

We read all the boards about Caye Caulker. I understand there is a water taxi from Belize City to Caye Caulker but it's not clear to me if Caye Caulker has a public beach to go to once we get there or just private beaches. Where is the public beach in relation to the dock and how far? Walkable? How large is the beach? Does it have facilities? Is it a nice sandy beach or "jump in the water off rocks/coral"? Anyone have a link to pictures of the beach and of the island itself? Thanks!!!

-- Daryle

(Miracle 9/17/06)

You will find many pictures of Caye Caulker at http://www.webshots.com Just type in Caye Caulker Belize and do a search.

• 2 weeks later...

View some very recent aerial shots of Caye Caulker here:

http://cayecaulker.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001677.html

These might give you a better idea of the layout of the island. And yes, the split is where you can go snorkeling and/or swimming. If you have any other questions you can try asking them on the message board there.

Happy cruising!

View some very recent aerial shots of Caye Caulker here:

http://cayecaulker.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001677.html

These might give you a better idea of the layout of the island. And yes, the split is where you can go snorkeling and/or swimming. If you have any other questions you can try asking them on the message board there.

Happy cruising!

GREAT PICS -- thanks. They do help a lot. I was concerned that The Split was more for younger folks (we are mid-50's). I heard the town was interesting but wasn't sure of the "beach area".

Thanks again

I Had The Same Questions! I Want To Go Take The Water Taxi From Port To The Caye, But I'm Worried That It Will Take 2 Hours To Get Off The Boat, Then Get On The Taxi & Get There- Also Wondering What To Do When We Get There.... This Area Where You Can Snorkel- Is It Far From Where The Water Taxis Drop You? Could We Walk With Gear And Stroller Or Catch A Land Taxi? And Recommendations For Places To Grab Lunch?

Thanks Much- You Guys Rock!

Jennifer

8/26/06 Carnival Glory- Anniversary Cruise

2001 Carnival Victory

I Had The Same Questions! I Want To Go Take The Water Taxi From Port To The Caye, But I'm Worried That It Will Take 2 Hours To Get Off The Boat, Then Get On The Taxi & Get There- Also Wondering What To Do When We Get There.... This Area Where You Can Snorkel- Is It Far From Where The Water Taxis Drop You? Could We Walk With Gear And Stroller Or Catch A Land Taxi? And Recommendations For Places To Grab Lunch?

Thanks Much- You Guys Rock!

Jennifer

8/26/06 Carnival Glory- Anniversary Cruise

2001 Carnival Victory

Hi Jennifer,

I take it that you don't want to book a tour of any kind judging by your post? Taking the water taxi should be fine. Google 'Caye Caulker water taxi' to get the most recent rates and schedule. As far as tendering from your ship to the pier, that shouldn't take too long if you get in line early enough. As I recall, it was about an 8 minute ride from our ship to the pier and about 45 from the pier to Caye Caulker.

"The Split" is about a 10-15 minute walk north from the dock on Caye Caulker, with a smooth dirt road, so strollers won't be a problem. The locals push their kids around in them as well. Land taxis, which are actually golf carts, are also available if you don't want to want to walk that far. We ate at a restaurant south of the dock, so I can't help you there. The motto on the island is: Go Slow. Keep that in mind while ordering food. You might even consider making arrangements with a restaurant ahead of time so it will be ready for you when you come back. Just a suggestion.

What to do when you get there? Relax and enjoy the sunshine! Snorkeling and swimming is good at the split but watch the current if you get too far out. Snorkel equipment is for rent nearby, as well as kayaks. Enjoy your stay and drink a Belikin beer for me. :D

Jennifer -

Go to Coral Breeze's web site and click on the link for "Beach Day". I was just checking their web site and you can hitch a ride to Caye Caulker the day you're in Belize for $39 pp, $29 for kids under 12. Just a thought, as this might be cheaper and more efficient than the water taxi idea? This way, you'll be on a tour with other people from your cruise ship. They will drop you off on the island when they stop to order lunch and pick up supplies, and you'll hop back on the boat when it's time for everyone to return to the pier.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just run across this info on Caye Caulker while trying to figure out what to do in Belize. We are not looking for an excursion, but would just like to find someplace nice and fun (and relatively inexpensive) to "hang" for our day in Belize. It looks like the water taxi is $15.00 PP round trip between Belize City and Caye Caulker - not too bad.

A couple of questions, though:

What is the Split?

Is this someplace that we can just go to and hang out on the beach?

Are there activities/rentals there that we could do if we wanted to (kayaks, snorkel gear, etc).

Is the snorkeling decent right from the beach, or would you have to take a charter to get to the good areas?

Any other intersting tidbits of info that would help us plan our day?

Thanks!!

Archived