Speedos

The only valid reason for any guy to wear a speedo is to compete in high level competitive watersports. Outside that "yuck" ! I'm a guy and want to see middle aged fat guy with speedo creeping up his crack and little mystery as to what god gave him outlined in the front even less than you ladies do. It seems that they are more accepted by the Europeans who are less body conscious than us Americans.. Regardless count me as one vote NO.

Glad I read this post! - get your smelling salts out!:

My husband has several "banana hammocks", as he is a serious swimmer. I will get him to put a pair of shorts over the top of them if he is moving around the ship - wouldn't like him to scare anyone!

BD

PS this statement was a bit "sweeping" wasn't it?

"It seems that they are more accepted by the Europeans who are less body conscious than us Americans" - which nation has the highest level of obesity?

PS this statement was a bit "sweeping" wasn't it?

"It seems that they are more accepted by the Europeans who are less body conscious than us Americans" - which nation has the highest level of obesity?

Yes! You are correct that that statement is a broad generalization.

Yes, it iis true Americans are a bunch of big bellied baboons. (anoother ssweeping generalization).

However in my experience it seems more Europeans wear the speedos than Americans and being more open in their attitudes towards nudity and less critical regarding vanity would help explain why.

If you'd prefer to blame it on Euros just not being as cool as we Americans - I could live wiith that too. Or perhaps there is at this moment an appalling shortage of quality mirrors in the old countries?

Auch!

Speedos are worn because they are far easier to swim in than a pair of shorts. If men want to pose around or play with their children on the beach they wear shorts. If they are into proper swimming, then its speedos. Speedos are practical, ( and take up less luggage room!!). We (British) are a nation of speedo lovers!

However, I would question why a bloke would wear speedos to sunbathe in, if he has no intention of going in the pool ( well dodgy as my friend Al would say).

Al, a competive water polo player was sent to new york by his company. He took his speedos, and off to the swimming pool he went....don't think he wore them again!

So yes, it is cultural. They don't bother me, I was brought up with them, right from the swimming lessons at school - all the boys in my class wore them, and we girls had to wear "regulation bri-nylon navy bathing costumes"

Oh, and we have plenty of mirrors!...though I am a bit wary of the quality of the ones in the changing rooms in fashion shops. I swear they make me look thinner. Are yours the same?

hang loose!

BD

BD

The only valid reason for any guy to wear a speedo is to compete in high level competitive watersports. Outside that "yuck" ! I'm a guy and want to see middle aged fat guy with speedo creeping up his crack and little mystery as to what god gave him outlined in the front even less than you ladies do. It seems that they are more accepted by the Europeans who are less body conscious than us Americans.. Regardless count me as one vote NO.

:D you crack me up lol, but i agree....with you....it certainly doesn't hide much and I for one don't care of see any of it....especially butt crack :eek: :D

I'm not particularly fond of them, although for serious swimmers they work better.

Every time I read a post regarding speedos I think back to a cruise we were on in Hawaii. There was a man, I think he may have been German from hearing his accent. He was older, the belly was hanging. The speedo was elastically challenged at the leg openings. He shared with anyone passing by his parts that should only have had to be witnessed by his doctor and his wife.

If he were laying on the beach around here, he could have possibly been arrested for indecent exposure. I'd add emotional distress for anyone who saw it.

Of course, I'm not particularly fond of women in thongs bikinis or those string bikinis. They are obsessed with their strings being in just the right spot, it looks like such a hassle. I prefer for people to cover their parts.

EEEEEWWWWW...too many visuals:eek:

It's good for a laugh! My DH wouldn't be caught dead in a speedo. I guess it is a matter of personal comfort and what you are used to. There are a lot of people, male and female, that wear things they shouldn't around the pool.

Missyal

The resort we frequent in Mexico usually has more Europeans and Canadians than Americans so topless sunbathing and Speedos are not unusual. One day on the beach, a man came walking down in the surf. My boys looked up from their sand castle, watched him walk by and then came over to DH and I and asked "Why that man had his wife's bathing suit bottom on.". Hubby and I laughed-more so because they didn't say a word about the topless women who were also within their sights. Seems the speedo was more shocking.

I've seen way TOO MANY women in two piece, not to mention one piece suits truly should not be wearing them.

From the overweight ones with the arm 'wings' that flap when a light breeze blows, to the ones in bikinis with the tatoos and belly button rings with their tummys and love handles spilling over the waist bands.

The women in the thong style two piecers that look like an over cooked porkchop....and her coconuts hanging way TOO low in the "slingshot.":eek: :eek:

So lets not just talk about men in Speedos, Which I happen to wear....as you know...and you will be receiving an email verifying that fact:D .

As for you bettycrocker :

" It seems like only the biggest, most gorilla-like, old men wear them. "

That happens to be my husband your talking about, and I happen to like him that way! Maybe you should keep your opinions to baking cakes:D .

Dave:eek: aka 'flamingo boy'.....(go ahead...ask why...I'll show ya!)

I do not pay that close attention to what men wear on a cruise around the pool. I do know if I see a buff guy in a speedo, I hope I am wearing sunglasses so as not to openly stare.

My husband is more a prude, he gets upset that his father wears bike shorts. Those are very tight also, his dad is over 70 and likes to do those 100 mile rides. He travels all over the world doing them.

If they look good in the speedo, then why not. But it's true that it is usually the big, hairy guys that you see wearing them :eek: I agree totally that it is not just a man thing though. Some women DO NOT belong in two piece bathing suits!!!

I've seen way TOO MANY women in two piece, not to mention one piece suits truly should not be wearing them.

From the overweight ones with the arm 'wings' that flap when a light breeze blows,

You're saying that unless a woman has a perfect body she should not be in a bathing suit because even the most conservative swimsuits don't cover arms....or thighs for that matter.

I'll agree that many women in a 2 piece would look better in a one-piece. But your critical standards don't allow anyone overweight near the pool with untoned arms. Wow, that's harsh.

to the ones in bikinis with the tatoos and belly button rings with their tummys and love handles spilling over the waist bands.

I dislike tatoo's and belly button rings too. However, if a woman chooses to have them, then poolside or on the beach is an appropriate place to show them, IMHO, as opposed to in the dining room, where most bellybuttons should be underwraps, whether pierced or not.

The "spilling love handles" apply more to men.

The women in the thong style two piecers that look like an over cooked porkchop....and her coconuts hanging way TOO low in the "slingshot.":eek: :eek:

We're in agreement here. A thong or teeny bikini is a poor choice for the overweight. And the hanging coconuts look drives me banana's! Ugh! I always want to take the woman's straps and tie them tighter giving those boobies a well needed lift!

So lets not just talk about men in Speedos, Which I happen to wear...

I hope your critical standards apply to yourself as well.

There aren't tags on Speedo bathing suits that say 'if you are big and hairy you are forbidden to buy this suit'. I think it just seems that way. I have seen mostly average to buff men in speedos. Like I said before the part I'm not crazy about is being able to know the size of the package. :D

Like HappyKs said some things are only for the doctor and spouse to see.

I really am not bothered by Speedos. I don't always care to see some guys package outlined for me. But to each his own.

I agree with you. Speedo's on a guy with a great body look good as long as they're wearing the right support underneath. Otherwise, there's TMI (too much information) for my personal comfort.

But overweight guys or even thin ones with a beer gut should stay away from Speedo's.

Of course, I'm not particularly fond of women in thongs bikinis or those string bikinis. They are obsessed with their strings being in just the right spot, it looks like such a hassle. I prefer for people to cover their parts.

Couldn't agree with you more there!! I don't like to see the women with the so called "perfect bodies" in little itty bitty bathing suits. I am not a prude, just modest. I am a straight female of average dimensions and I wear tankinis. I just feel that it looks like one is prancing around in underwear when they wear those little bikinis, and as you mentioned, it's showing parts to me that should only be seen by their husband or doctor. But that's just me! Plus I like to be comfortable when I'm in the water, not worrying if my strings came untied or my floss is up my butt!

let's see,, I'm getting a visual here... Antonio Banderas, Richard Gere, Brad PITT, keanu reeves, and the list goes on :D

Sorry, as hot as Brad Pitt is, I don't even want to see HIM in a speedo!! They remind me of the "tighty whitie" undies guys wear that face it, look cool on NO ONE!!

Frankly, I kind of like the trend toward the snug "boy shorts", somewhere between a speedo and swim trunks. YUM! (on the right guy!)

Speedos don't really bug me, as long as they are covering everything. When the elastic loses its springy powers, 'tis best to invest in a new pair.

Bububr: as a woman with "above average" sized upper arms, if you can find me a stylish swimsuit with sleeves, I'll be the first to buy one! As it is...unless I am in a lounger, or in the pool, I will be wearing a long sleeved cover up....doing my best not to offend your delicate sensibilities.

Now, if meagerly-endowed men would be so kind as to oblige me with "stocking stuffers" in return, the world would be a perfect place.

T

Archived