Has Anyone ever done this???

wishingtocruise

Hey!

I posted this on the destination board and got no help. I thought I might do better here.

My family and I will be going on our first cruise on the Century in April. One of the stops will be Ocho Rios and I want to do something while we are there. I would like to see Dunns River Falls ,however, I know that we won't be climbing them as our daughter has special needs. Celebrity has a tour called "Cruise to Dunns River Falls" and it sounds just right for us. Has anyone ever done this?

Thank you so much for any and all help!

:)

Hey!

I posted this on the destination board and got no help. I thought I might do better here.

My family and I will be going on our first cruise on the Century in April. One of the stops will be Ocho Rios and I want to do something while we are there. I would like to see Dunns River Falls ,however, I know that we won't be climbing them as our daughter has special needs. Celebrity has a tour called "Cruise to Dunns River Falls" and it sounds just right for us. Has anyone ever done this?

I have done the Dunns Falls about 7 years ago

It was a lot of fun If you are able to do it it is a must (it was a little hard for me every one was holding hands and would push me from behind if i needed help)

My wife would not go up the falls She walked up on a path next to the falls

STUR DAYTON,OHIO

We did this a number of years ago and the Falls are very beautiful as is the view....

Having said that, ( and remembering that this was in 1998) I don't remember doing a lot else in Ocho Rios except shop for tee shirts and the falls......

Hope that's of some help.

This sounds pretty perfect for us. We are doing the Rum Point excursion in Grand Cayman so we don't really need a beach. I just feel that it's important to experience each port in some way,and since DRF seems to be the big thing in Ocho Rios, I would like for us to see it. I won't be climbing it because I'll be with our daughter(I'm also a big chicken!) However, my husband might. It's also a short enough excursion that we can go to the port village and hit Margaritaville as well.

Thanks for the replies. I was starting to lose heart!

We did this on a different line about 6 years ago - it was a lot of fun and I think taking a boat over to the falls bypasses some of the street vendors.

Beware that climbing the falls is a relatively crowded touristy thing to do. On the other hand it was fun and I'd recommend doing it at least once - although I'm not sure I'd do it a second time. Wear some decent water shoes (like Nike Aqua Socks and not sandals or thongs) and keep in mind that you really don't want to be carrying anything with you - period, nor do you want to be wearing anything you don't want to get wet. if you have a water proof camera get a lanyard to wear around your neck - you'll need both hands free. If you need to wear glasses - get a strap to wear over your head so you don't lose them when they fall off, Anything you need to carry you'll have to leave on a table at the bottom.

Thanks Lsimon!

I don't think I'll be climbing as our daughter has special needs and I'm a chicken!:o However, my husband may want to do this.

This is our first cruise so I don't care about being a tourist because that's exactly what we are!! :D I just think that we should experience this once.

I hadn't thought about the boat helping us to miss some of the peddlers etc. Thank you for pointing this out.

Thanks for all of ya'lls help!

Hey!

My family and I did this tour in 2005. It is an enjoyable boat ride to the falls even though they will try to hit you up for braiding. You mentioned your daughter has special needs so you should know that once you arrive at the falls dock you need to take a short walk to the base of the falls. Most of this walk is on the beach. If you don't want to claimb the falls there is a walkway and stairs, many stairs, adjacent to them with stops overlooking the falls so you can track your husband's progress. The falls are very scenic and a not to be missed site. NOt much else to do there and you will be over an hour. Bathrooms at the falls are far from clean.

Enjoy your cruise! The Century in 2005 was a great ship, with the refurbishment it must be outstanding.

Thank you too cruisingdelt!

I like to know what I'm in for. I still think that this will be something that we'll do. If my husband does this(climb the falls) that will be more than enough to THRILL my daughter. She has Down Syndrome, but no mobility issues, so the walk won't be a problem. Also, I can be a real Mama bear when it comes to her, as most mothers are to their children,and I know that she would never tolerate someone trying to braid her hair. She barely lets me BRUSH it:cool: . So, from what I've read here, I will firmly say no thank you.

Thanks again to all.:D

Hi,

Several years ago I enjoyed a delightful port of call in Ocho Rios. I thought it was a marvelous place to visit, so very lush and green, the perfect antidote to the sparse texture of Grand Cayman.

DRF is beautifully refreshing and postcard scenic. Should your husband climb the falls the trail alongside and the various viewpoints along the trail will give you and your daughter ample opportunities to follow along with him and stay dry. Hehehe.

The beach below DRF is very nice and you and yours may enjoy some of your DRF time relaxing there.

You might also consider visiting the botanical gardens in Ocho Rios. They are outstanding, and offer a cool respite from the hustle & bustle of the shopping areas. The flora and tropical vegetation are wonderfully colorful and the walking tour is an easy stroll. There are also scenic waterfalls there.

Have a delightful cruise!

CM

Hey!

Hey wishingtocruise,

Had to answer this one.

My Mom worked with a lady who had a daughter with Down Syndrom. Her name was Sandy. She is long since gone now though. She loved music. On to my comment though.

We did a simular trip on the HAL Veendam a few years back.

All I can say knowing this young lady is that she would have loved it. We did the boat over to the dock at the falls and decided to do the stairs next to the falls instead of the falls themselves. My knee sometimes does not like things.;) It was beautiful...

I know from experience (knowing Sandy) that people with this disability usually have no problem with walking or climbing stairs. Motor skills are not the issue. You all will have a great time.

One comment...the town of Ocho Rios...is to be avoided...:eek:

Hoped this helped...

Jeff

Thank you so much Celebrity Man and Jeff!

Jeff you are so right! My daughter LOVES music,(one of the reasons I liked the look of this excursion,there's supposed to be a band on the way back!) I know that she will handle the steps fine. And CM,the other reason I looked at this was because I knew that there was a beach right there.

After this is done(it's only 2.5 hours) I thought we could check out Margaritiville for a bit. My Husband may enjoy the 2 story slide.:)

Thanks again for all the understanding and sensitive replies.:D

Archived