Tuxedo on Explorer of the Seas?

We'll be sailing on EOS in September to the Eastern Caribbean. Just wondering if anyone has been on this trip recently, and whether or not tuxedos are still "in". DH has a tux and I also have one for my 1 year old DS, and could get one for my 3 year old DS. But I'm wondering if anyone even wears tuxes anymore. I see so much talk about black suits! The last cruise we were on a couple years ago, DH did not have one yet (had to get one later on for a different event). But I just cannot remember if a lot of men wore them and dont want him to feel like an out of place penguin, lol.

Also, I just read on here somewhere someone saying that they wash their shorts onboard in the washers and thus bring only 3 pairs - is this true? or could she be refering to the laundering service...

Glad for any input,

Hey Liz

Yes the traditions are slipping away. Our cruise last year only had a few tuxes . The people that still wear more formal stuff seem to be going to Dark suits with several different colored shirts underneath.

I'm not one to preach dress codes. I do wear a dark suit but I dontlet it affect me what other peole are wearing. I'm on vacation:p .

You might try the RCCL board and see if they might have a better feeling for whats going on in your ship right now. The last cruise formal night was getting down to dockers and shirt or even bluejeans:( .

Either way you'll be ok

Jeff

a tux will always be 'in' for fomal nites.. and what a great photo op with the kids dressed formal also.. yes, there have been more dark suits showing up on formal nite than in past years but there still are a lot of men wearing a tuxedo..

I was on the XOS in June; while it's true that the majority were not in tuxes, those who were generally looked fantastic! So please, tell him that he will not look out of place and in fact will have envious women poking their SO's and urging them to get a tux too!

No self-service laundry to my knowledge. Posters must have been using ship's laundry service.

Thank you for posting this question! My DH is opting for a suit and so is my 5 yo DS. I managed to purchase my 16 YO a tux at JCPenney for $100! So he will be the only one in our party in a tux. Does that seem odd? I figured, for the price, he can use it for proms or formal dances this year and it's paid for itself. He will be a senior, so I thought the timing might be okay. But, you know how teens are :rolleyes: , so I didn't want him to feel out of place. We will be on the Mariner in ONE WEEK!!! Does anyone think he will feel bad? :D

Thanks!

We'll be sailing on EOS in September to the Eastern Caribbean. Just wondering if anyone has been on this trip recently, and whether or not tuxedos are still "in". DH has a tux and I also have one for my 1 year old DS, and could get one for my 3 year old DS. But I'm wondering if anyone even wears tuxes anymore. I see so much talk about black suits! The last cruise we were on a couple years ago, DH did not have one yet (had to get one later on for a different event). But I just cannot remember if a lot of men wore them and dont want him to feel like an out of place penguin, lol.

Also, I just read on here somewhere someone saying that they wash their shorts onboard in the washers and thus bring only 3 pairs - is this true? or could she be refering to the laundering service...

Glad for any input,

We saw some men wearing them on the Inspiration. I don't think your DH and DSs would be the only ones. And I think that they'd look adorable with them on...you'd definitely have to take lots of pictures!

Glad for any input,

RCI ships do not have laundry facilities.

EOS is a large ship and you will likely see some of everything. RCI has lowered their standards for dress over the past few years but I have seen a good percentage of tuxes still, even on my recent 3 night.

Archived