I’m Onboard Celebrity Century – Got Any Questions?

Stockholm

This is one of the world’s most beautiful and hospitable cities. We docked out by the Viking ferry terminal (Silversea’s Silver Cloud got the nice spot right by the old town but we’re too big to go there). It’s about a 40 minute walk to town (and it’s a nice walk, along the waterfront) but the ship also offered a shuttle. I think it cost $5 each way (I just signed something and hopped on!) but it was efficient and dropped us at the Grand Hotel, a perfect location, right in the center of about everything.

My favorite place in Stockholm is the old town, known as Gamla Stan. Yes, it’s a bit touristy but the atmosphere is so medieval and fabulous. The palace is there and you can tour it. It’s not one of the world’s most prestigious ones…but lovely, still.

Today I was determined to find the food market – like ones in Seattle, Vancouver and Baltimore, it’s a place where you shop in an old fashioned way, buying fresh produce, meats, cheeses, fruits and fish from various vendors. What I like about the market (it’s indoors, year-round) in Sweden is that there also are actual restaurants tucked into it – we had a light lunch (shrimp sandwich, which was small shrimp along with egg salad on a piece of brown bread and the herring plate, pretty self-explanatory). There are no tables for two – they just seat you at big round tables and you join other folks, mostly people working nearby. Fun.

There is so much to do in Stockholm it’s really important to streamline your day. If you have kids, head to the Vasa Museum (an old 16th century warship that sailed its inaugural of the harbor one day…and just about immediately sank!). If you’re interested in maritime matters, see the Vasa. If you could care less about old wooden boats resurrected from the sea, visit the Vasa anyway. You’ll find it fascinating.

On the way back to the ship, Gamla Stan, the original old city, is a walled city that lies on an island, just across the harbor from where the bus drops you. It’s marked – you can’t miss it – by the Royal Palace; inside are various museums and such and I will admit it is touristy but the most fun is to poke around it’s tiny little winding streets and visit unique boutiques, have lunch at a café…a real gal’s day out.

After we reboarded Century we headed up to the Sunset Bar for sail-away. I love this bar – it’s back of the aft of the ship and shaded by huge sail like canopies. It stretches from side to side (and is just outside of the sushi bar and of course the Lido buffet area). What views! Truly for sheer gorgeousness, the sailway from Stockholm is the prettiest on the itinerary. Try to dine late on this night so you won’t miss it (and it stays light forever!).

Last night we had dinner reservations (necessary and surprisingly difficult to get – be prepared and plan in advance) to the ultra-casual Island Café. It offers a relaxed and easy ambience (and the roast chicken was delightful).

Carolyn

I'm sorry to hear about that -- thanks for sharing it....

Carolyn

I am very interested in your experience in the dining room, as my husband and I returned last week from the July1-15 Baltic sailing aboard the Constellation. While the trip overall was wonderful, we had a very big problem with the main dining room. Our waiter (who shall go nameless) was beyond rude. Any request was granted grudgingly, if at all; we were made to feel like we were on an assembly line; his attitude was surly and obnoxious. (For example, when we tried to make pleasant conversation by asking him one day if he had been able to go ashore that day, his response was "No, this isn't MY vacation, you know.) After the first two nights, we fled. We are not wimps. We are from NYC. But this kind of confrontation is not what we need on vacation. So, we ate either at Ocean Liners (twice) or up in the "casual dining" at the Seaside Cafe. That turned out great-- the staff was wonderful, the view was terrific, and the food was as good if not better than in the main dining room.

We returned twice to the main dining room. The first time, the waiter snidely commented, "Well, we haven't seen you around much," and stood there waiting for an explanation. The maitre d came over to our table later, and also basically demanded an explanation as to why we had been absent--in front of the waiter, no less. No way was he concerned that there might have been a problem. We felt EXTREMELY uncomfortable and tried to make some kind of excuse about preferring a quieter restaurant.

We later found out (from our assistant waiter, who we saw often at breakfast and was a very nice guy), that our waiter was on his last contract of many, many, and was leaving the cruise industry altogether in a couple of weeks. And, it turns out, we were not the only people to have had problems with this guy. But there is no excuse. Where was the supervision? No one in charge had a clue. Believe me, this was all documented in the end of cruise questionnaire.

You might ask why we didn't get our table changed. We were at a table for two, and wanted to remain that way. We saw the first day when we checked out our table, that there were very few twos, and most were in really bad spots. Our location was nice. So it was a toss up--good table and bad waiter, or bad table and maybe good waiter. We kept hoping things would change. I guess we should have switched.

The whole thing leaves a really bad taste in our mouths about Celebrity. This was our second cruise, and our first was on a "lesser" line. The restaurant experience on our first cruise was a joy. Not this one.

Hi there. No sign of tapas in or around the Sunset Bar (still a gorgeous place to hang out!) but the sushi bar is just inside -- and the pizza and pasta station is a little ways toward the pool area.

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn,

First let me say that I'm so sorry to hear about your formal night experience. I believe I would have cried, too. :(

I hope the rest of your dining experiences make up for it, ten fold!

I was curious if they indeed have a tapas menu, as I read in one of the press releases. I believe it was supposed to be located in the sunset bar.

If they do and you get to try some, please let me know how they are.

Take care and enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Tammy

Yes, both times! And they couldn't have been nicer -- when I arrive, my table is set for one (not two), chosen for me so that I can be at the edge of the room but look into it (and watch all the goings on) --.

Different team there -- they treat everybody with courtesy. I've been watching....

Carolyn

Carolyn, thanks for the continued updates

I am re-reading all your postings...the Maitr'd turned his

back on the bearded guy???

How unprofessional is that?....

I guess I have been very lucky on my cruises with X...and

I hope my treatment on Millie is better than what you have

been receiving.

I still think you ought to see the Hotel Director~as you said,

if it helps the next person, we would be very greatful.

And just curious, are you dining solo at Muranos?

Hi, Gitte. Ngawira is indeed onboard -- she is the most amazing staffer I've met on Century. She really puts her heart and soul into the Cruise Critic get togethers and also has been so incredibly helpful on so many issues. Definitely a treasure....

She's the one by the way who's worked nine contracts, all on Century!

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn,

I am very sorry for your formal evening.

We sailed the New Century 15 June (the first Baltic cruise) and got a great time. We enjoyed the cruise very much. The Swedish Archipello was gorgeous.

Have you met Ms. Ngawira Fleet? She was the one responsible for hosting our CC parties. What a great job she does on the Century. Please send my regards to her.( from Brigitte - Gitte)

Have a great cruise.

Gitte

Swedish Archipello

DSC_0217.jpg

DSC_0212.jpg

Helsinki

Get this:

Sunrise: 4:42 a.m.

Sunset: 11:10 p.m.

Another gorgeous, just warm-enough day, great port of call. Helsinki, the capital of Finland, is an intriguing place because it’s caught up both in its past, with its elegant Uspenski Cathedral, Senate Square and the Lutheran Cathedral, as well as its design-edgy future – you’ll see numerous really fantastical buildings by designers just now starting to be recognized worldwide.

Don’t miss: a trip on the water, however you get there…this is city of islands (some uninhabited) but, from Market Square, the city’s hub, you can go the fortress of Suomenlinna (dubbed the Gibraltar of the North) – it’s got a great brewpub! Or to the zoo. Or simply to ride through the archipelago, that collection of small islands, thick with forests.

Most of us wind up at some point downtown and today it seemed as if all of Helsinki (and maybe Finland, too; the country has a total population of 5 million) on the esplanade. It runs up from the market square and harbor to the heart of the city’s shopping district; lots of elegant boutiques and stops at Finnish places like Ittila (great glasswear and votives) and Merrimekko (the famous clothing designer) are requirements!

We had lunch on the outdoor café at Teattri, a restaurant lying at the head of the esplanade and then strolled down the pathways. IT was literally a ten ring circus, young kids taking pony rides, a group of Finnish folks, dressed for summer, offering a singing performance, and, inexplicably, a series of cats who were asked to perform various tricks (like jumping into a high basket) and which, rather unbelievably, acquiesced.

Tonight’s a quiet night for sure as those of us on the Moscow tour (a 16-hour adventure) depart at 7 a.m. I’ll check back in with you Thursday!

Carolyn

Hi, Doug, funny thing – they all know about the stellar Zenith review here. I was told the hotel director there came from Cunard.

Yes, Daniel Stacy came to Celebrity from Cunard via Premier and Airtours Sun Cruises.

It turned out that he is a friend of a friend of mine and we had a nice long chat after finding that out.

Great guy, and a great asset to Celebrity.

Hello, Char!

On deck ten there's not much privacy on the balconies (there's a wide metal deck in front of them -- I think they may be among the ones getting the bigger balconies as they will be stretched. I'll check. Remind me if I forget.

Beyond that, decks 9 and 8 are plenty private....

Carolyn

Hey Carolyn :D

I hope your trip is fantastic! I hope the service atmosphere improves! Thank you so much for offering to answer our questions while you are traveling.

The new SV cabins! Maybe you could get the Hotel Manager to clarify something that many of us have been wondering about. How big are they really? The web site says 191 sq ft but the folks on the phone at Celebrity insist only 175 sq ft!

SV balcony privacy. We have one of the middle ones booked and have seen snippets of the balcony in some posted pictures. Is there ANY privacy on any of the SV balconies when you look up from the Sunset Bar?

I'm looking forward to reading everything you post about this marvelous ship!

Hi, Gitte. Ngawira is indeed onboard -- she is the most amazing staffer I've met on Century. She really puts her heart and soul into the Cruise Critic get togethers and also has been so incredibly helpful on so many issues. Definitely a treasure....

She's the one by the way who's worked nine contracts, all on Century!

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn !

We have had the pleasure of sailing with Ngawhira a few times on Century. She is totally wonderful, and a real gem. She truly cares about her position, as well as the Cruise Critic get togethers. I hope she will be on Century in February, when we are on Century next. Enjoy your Cruise !

Zenith

The other thing about Zenith that crew (several) have told me is that it definitely is being transferred out of the fleet within the next year. This is of course a rumor…. But sounds like it could be true.

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn !

I keep hearing the same thing, each time we sail with Celebrity. While I hope it isnt true, it probably is. I continue to feel that Celebrity should do a Century type refit on Zenith, let her do the short Caribbean sailings instead of Century, and keep her in the fleet for many more years. I think it makes sense.

I continue to feel that Celebrity should do a Century type refit on Zenith, let her do the short Caribbean sailings instead of Century, and keep her in the fleet for many more years. I think it makes sense.

I can't imagine why she should be doing short Caribbean cruises... I don't think that makes any sense at all.

On a short cruise with low fares, you want a big ship to help compensate for those low fares. Small ships are more appropriate for longer, more expensive itineraries (Europe, Asia etc.) with higher fares that offset the costs of running a smaller ship.

Frankly, aside from the Bermuda itineraries (where larger ships don't fit), I don't see ZENITH's place in Celebrity's fleet. Yes, if they had itineraries that could not support a larger ship - but are there any? I doubt it. The more exotic itineraries like Australia/New Zealand and South America can obviously support CENTURY- and MILLENNIUM-class ships so why bother with a small ship?

Most mass-market cruise lines have realized that there are very few itineraries where they can't fill virtually any size ship. It's not a coincidence that Royal Caribbean decided to build more VOYAGER-class ships instead of excercising their options for additional RADIANCE-class ships, that Princess went for further GRAND-class vessels instead of more CORAL-class ships, that Carnival and Costa ordered more CONQUEST-class ships rather than SPIRIT-class ships and that HAL scrapped plans for additional ROTTERDAM-sized ships as their next newbuilding program in favor of enlarged Vista-class ships that will be their biggest yet.

Moreover, I think the Celebrity product actually suits a large ship. Celebrity has a very weak brand identity but as I see it, what they ought to be representing is "big-ship cruising with a touch of luxury"... The cruise line for people who like big ships but want something more refined than Carnival or Royal Caribbean. And of course, ZENITH makes no sense in that context.

Hello, Char!

On deck ten there's not much privacy on the balconies (there's a wide metal deck in front of them -- I think they may be among the ones getting the bigger balconies as they will be stretched. I'll check. Remind me if I forget.

Beyond that, decks 9 and 8 are plenty private....

Carolyn

Hey Carolyn! :D

Glad things are improving for you. :)

The SV (Sunset Veranda) cabins are on deck 12 (Sports Deck) ABOVE the Sunset bar. They overlook the big canopy that you mentioned. What can you see of the middle balconies when you look UP from the Bar? Thanks a bunch! :p

A quick "share" here...we are two times Century cruisers. Our first time (2003) was THE perfect cruise in every way. Same room catagory the second cruise (Royal Suites), and I ended up in tears eating in my room the first formal evening. Our dinner seating with other family members was a mess...it was supposed to be "fixed" for the second night and we ended up with 9 people at a table for 6 all dressed formally. Every time the waiters helped the table next to me, my chair would get "banged." Between that an NO elbow room (putting it mildly) and the rest of our group grumbling....I lost it and my appetite. I fled. The waiters were NOT happy, knowing we most likely wouldn't be there again! I wonder if it was the same maitre'd?! Our butler was as upset as I was when he saw me rushing to the room! I suppose I might have been less emotional if the rest of our family hadn't REALLY been upset, but since I planned the whole trip, I felt responsible and helpless. Our butler told me I should have let him take care of the matter from the beginning. By the next night, all was taken care of and we had a table with room for all in a beautiful location.

Just got off the Crystal Symphony (first time on Crystal) and everything was really nice...only little glitch...our waiter was leaving cruising for good at the end of our trip and our assistant waiter left the ship on day 6 of our 12 day cruise! I have been reading this thread and not wanting to sound like a crybaby, but when I read Jfried101, I couldn't help but think of this Crystal waiter and his indifference. It only bothered me because I am a people person who enjoys interacting with others on my vacation...being "shutdown" by the waiter you have to interact with 12 times for your most anticipated meal of the day isn't pleasant. It wasn't just me...my husband tried to simply order a green salad without extra "goodies" (he is has to watch his sodium very carefully) and every night (until the last night when my husband FIRMLY told him 'NO, THANK YOU, I want only lettuce") he convinced my husband that the salad offered would be very nice.

I am convinced that it really isn't the line, but the luck of the draw on which waiters, and maitre'd's you get. I guess being a bit more thick skinned would help...I'm just not, DARN! As I turn 50, I vow to "Not let people affect me!":D

With all due respect, perhaps the Hosts could move their sidetrack discussions to other more relevant threads.

Personally, here I'd like to hear more about the "renewed" Century and the Baltic itinerary (which I hope to take next year).

The other matters (ships' futures, and pasts, and former staff) are all valid and useful, and always interesting, but not here, not now.

So, Carolyn, what's new ? Tell us about it.

With all due respect, perhaps the Hosts could move their sidetrack discussions to other more relevant threads.

Personally, here I'd like to hear more about the "renewed" Century and the Baltic itinerary (which I hope to take next year).

The other matters (ships' futures, and pasts, and former staff) are all valid and useful, and always interesting, but not here, not now.

I echo Caroliner's comments. My earlier posts (#89 and #128) regarding Baltic ports of call and the ship's exterior condition seem to have been lost in the sea of discusssions about shipboard personnel, however legitimate they may be. My wife and I are relatively new to cruising (though I have a bit of sea time with the USN!) and can benefit immensely from your advice.

v/r

Bill

With all due respect, what do the Host's "sidetrack" discussions take away from you? They aren't going to keep Carolyn from posting, and this thread won't run out of room. Just look at them as "value-added discussion."

I've learned a lot just by reading the responses from the Hosts. I didn't realize that Gorky Park was filmed in Helsinki, for example, or that steamboats went out of Stockholm.

Also, Carolyn stated that because of her excursions in St. Petersburg tomorrow (almost today!) she wouldn't be posting again until Thursday.

As for ports of call, she's answering those as fast as she can, and in as much depth as she can! So far she's been to Stockholm and Helsinki, and wrote extensively about each of them. Sheesh, there's a whole board for Baltic ports alone, maybe you can get the information you need there, faster.

Hi Everyone !

So you are aware, I was responding to Carolyn's comment about Zenith, and there is no harm in that. Carolyn's information about Zenith was very informative. If others chose to chime in with their own personal response, that is beyond my control.

As Carolyn may not be posting today, I do not think there is any real harm in speaking about Century and her future deployment as it is relevant. I do agree that we should not get into much conversation about Zenith's future, and I will make sure I do not comment on that aspect any longer.

I sailed on the Celebrity Baltic Cruise on June 15 to 27 this year. I had a very difficult experience with Century. I found three areas were handled very well without intervention. First the beverage sevice at any locale was very good. Second our cabin steward was very nice and the Murano room was wonderful. As a matter of fact we ESCAPED the dining room 3 times to the Murano. -However our first night in the Dining room was a disaster. We were seated next to a door right behind the string quartet. It was so loud we could not hear a thing or speak to each other. We asked to be moved and it was met with grim acceptance. We were then given a table with two other delightful couples. However the food continued to be erractic as well as the service. There was so much noise and activity near our table--waiters rushing past with 6-8 dinners on a tray--wine steward good but always busy---section captainas barking orders---very very stressfull. I rationalized it by saying to myself "How else are they going to serve 1500 to 2000 meals in 4 hours". It did not make me happy--but I understood the problem. We had another problem with the Shore Excursion office. We pre-purchased shore excursions for three ports. 20 hours befiore we were at one of the ports we decided jus to take it easy. I went down to cancel and the attendant said I was too late--I had to cancel within 24 hours. He said he would try to resell it and let me know--days went by and no word. I later found out they did sell it. The shore excustion desk also did not tell me if I bought and excusion ticket I did not need shuttle tickets so I purchased them and found out I had been misled by my own ignorance--however I think some one should have informed me or asked had I bought excusion tickets. We also had a bad experience with the min bar in our suite. We were overcharged for items not used. My wife and I had one split of white and one split of red wine. When I was reviewing my bill I found the quantities doubled. I complained to little result. I also felt the price of drinks was outrageous. When is a cruise line ripping you off? When it charges nearly $10 for a glass of LeCrema(including gratuity)--Cosco $12.00 a bottle.(I actually have used this simple test on other cruise lines) The idea of charging for shuttles also struck me the wrong way. I spoke to a mom traveling with a number of children and she was forking over $40 a port just for shuttles. It is apparent to me that Celebrity has but a la carte to a science. I finally did start to complain about all the above items and was treated warmly by the supervisory staff from the Hotel Manager, Bar Manager and Fodd Service Manager. But I should not have had to complain. Some things were remedied others were not. The Celebrity commercial about "feeling like royalty" is clearly Hyperbole. We spent nearly $13,000 excluding air fare and feel we did not get value for our money. This was our 10th cruise--most we have walked off feeling wonderful. This one was not the same. I would add we met some very nice people who were having a good experience and had sailed Celbrity as many 15 times. That was not my experience. Lastly as we departed the ship we waited in line for 1 hour to get a taxi--it was a madhouse. There were line cutters--people grabing taxis from the back of the line etc. I am still almost a month out and still discouraged with Celebrity--I think I will probably not sail on or recommend Celebrity.

Distressing to say the least...and when I review NDtravellers' experience and comments about the expense of his trip and his disappointments I am glad I cancelled my 30th anniv trip and rebooked on HAL. I know there are no guarantees for a great cruise but the continued highlighting of problems by long term loyal Celebrity cruisers concerns me. Concerns me enough to change 1 trip and I don't know what I am doing for summer 2007 but I am going to be sailing in Europe on some ship...we will see what line.

Thanks for the continued postings on your Baltic cruise and hoping you have the best

Hi Carolyn,

I was wondering how the nightly entertainment is? What time are the shows? We're trying to decide which seating to choose. Any reccommendations? Do you have to pay for every specialty restaurant or is there only one, Muranos? Thanks for your reply. ;)

Carolyn.We were saddened to read your Dining Room bad ordeal.Nobody needs to be treated UNFAMOUSLY.

Carolyn, you mentioned earlier that you were going to inspect if possible the new Family View,and Sunset View Cabins.

We are desperate for your review as time has now passed to the extent that a review or any details on the rebuilt and new cabins cannot be found anywhere even by contacting Celebrity or looking at their outdated website.There are also many posters on the Celebrity boards very anxious to read your review.

Are the deck 9 FV cabins a complete new build and is that where the Childrens pool was once?Is the double bed still fixed against the bulkhead so therefore it cannot be used as 2 singles?

Can a aft/sunset view be had from the inside sitting area of the Sunset View cabins or is that the view from the balcony?

Thanking You So Kindly.

HI Caroline I actually reserved this cruise in March and final payment is due in about 10 days. Chose this cruise for a number of reasons -interesting itinerary ,special occasions and good rate. Since then, however, had unfortuanate experience on the May 7 2006-13 day Alaska summit cruise (essentially 4 ports/ship itinerary were cancelled) and passengers were really "jerked around "by customer relations and head office- the ship was poorly maintained on the exterior and pool areas and had a generally worn and tired appearance (I don't ever remember noting these things on my 15 previous cruises) The food was average, not as good as on other cruises with Celebrity. My overall feeling is that Celebrity is not providing the product that it once did. and is slipping in all areas. Will I be disappointed on the Century? I am expecting a spanking clean, shiny impeccably maintained vessal with oustanding service and excellent food and entertainment . I don't think that Celebrity can afford to be sloppy anymore

Archived