Formal Dress - Is It Too Much?

Hi everybody,

Having not been on a cruise in nearly ten years (and having been a lot younger the last time I went), I'm trying to find something nice to wear for the formal nights on the trip. I NEVER dress up...never, never, so I'm sorta looking forward to getting gussied up. :)

I bought a great dressy pantsuit and recently a friend that just served as bridesmaid at a wedding offered use of her gown. We're the same size and it fits perfectly. I also happen to love the dress/color.

Can you re-use a bridesmaid dress??? I thought that was supposed to be tacky, I dunno. And is this sort of dress just 'too much'? I don't want to look like a dork. ;) My hubby will NOT wear a tux, but he did break down and buy a lovely suit, incidentally, the shirt/tie he bought matches the dress perfectly.

Any opinions on this? I'll post the dress pic.

Thanks!s05_8567.psd.xml&cmp-color=top,xBB9684&ftr=5&cmp-end=1&wid=330&hei=460&cvt=jpg

For what is worth, I think you should wear the beautiful evening dress if you are comfortable in it. I wore a dressy outfit for dinner, but certainly not "formal". As I watched people having their formal pictures taken, I really admired those who were very dressed up. What a fun thing to do. I am planning real "formal" attire for my next cruise. Wear it...what's the worst that can happen? That you are outstanding? Enjoy the fun of something you don't get to do every day.

Bonnie

Hey, where did you find that picture of me?! ;)

I saw a few people dressed in long formal dresses like the picture you posted and they looked just lovely. I wouldn't worry so much about what others wear or think, but wear what makes you feel good! I hope you and your hubby have a fabulous cruise!

The dress is perfect! I have worn everything from pant suits to formal sequin ballgowns and to be honest, I love the ballgowns the best and the pictures are more elegant in them. I actually bought my hubby a tux a fews ago and he loves wearing it on board. He likes that the pants adjust in the waist after that wonderful dinner and has gotten several different vests to wear with it so he can match what I decide to wear!

You will feel like the homecoming queen in the dress and make sure you and your hubby have lots of formal pictures taken with different backgrounds. You don't have to buy all of them, but it's nice to pick one to remember your cruise formal night!

I think you look beautiful! Wear the dress. I have some of mine and my husband's best pictures in formal wear. You will look back one of these days and say you were glad you dressed up. I know we are. Debbie from Missouri

I have cruised 3 times with 4-5 of my lady friends. We love to dress for the formal nights. I love the dress you pictures and, No it's not to dressy. I love to sit on formal nights and just watch the people. I just love a guy in a tux and everyone just looks so nice. My friends and I spend all the months before our cruise planning our formal night attire. Wear the dress, pose for as many pictures as you can. After all, you don't have to buy them all.

Enjoy! Happy Crusing!

Dress is perfect but bring a wrap as the dining room and show rooms tend to be cool.

Just in case this post got lost in between the others, I'll bring it back up. Don't forget a nice wrap. You'll be cold in the dining room. BTW, the dress is gorgeous. The color is quite lovely.

Thanks to everybody for responding! I am going to wear the dress! :D

Now, if I just looked like the woman in the photo! *lol*

Have a great night!

Wonderful dress. My hat is off to the bride who had the good taste to pick out such a lovely bridesmaid gown for her attendants. All my friends picked awful things that you did not want to be seen at the wedding in, much less anywhere else. I vote you definately go for it!!

We had a group of 5 moms and 5 teenage girls on our last cruise and we all dressed up for formal night. The girls wore their prom dresses from that year and us moms found something (mine was off the sales rack at the Deb Shop for $20). For the picture we got the dresses would have been worth it at $500 a piece.... It will probably be the last opportunity this troop of girl scouts will ever have to do something like this ... most will be off to college this year and they have been together since first grade....

It will be a great memory for them along with the rest of the trip.

As a woman - I think this dress is absolutely Beautiful and perfect for formal night.....You will find many people not dressed up as much, but there are also plenty of people who take the opportunity to dress up with beautiful dresses such as this one......I've dressed up myself in the same way...so enjoy yourself and feel beautfull in this dress.

I have seen people wear bridesmaid dresses and truthfully, they did look a bit dorky! However, your dress is lovely and doesn't even look like an old bridesmaid dress (the bride did well in choosing!!!)

Often times, bridesmaid dresses are too "poofy", too fussy and are in awful colors. I have yet to give any of my old bridesmaid dresses a second turn! If I had ever worn one like yours, I probably would have! ;) Your's will look fine on formal night!

Hi everybody - thanks so much to everyone that replied. I feel much more comfortable now after reading your responses. I'm going to wear the dress and I'm really excited about it! :)

And for those that noted that the bride has excellent taste in bridesmaids dresses...boy, you are so right! She had such a stylish looking wedding party, it was unbelievable! :)

Ohhh, I am so excited for this cruise! Roll on September 10th!!!!! :D :D

Thanks again!

Angela

For Goodness Sake...wear The Dress And Enjoy The Evening. You Wil Feel Like A Princess. After All...part Of The Fun Of The Cruise Is Getting All Dolled Up. For Those That Don't..........they Are Really Missing Out. And...........don't Forget To Have Your Portraits Taken. My Husband And I Do That On Every Cruise.

Hope you post a picture of you and your husband on the formal night when you wear the dress. You only get 2 nights to really do it up..Glad that you're going to wear it.

Looking good, feeling gorgeous !!!

Have a safe trip

Archived