Visiting European churches????

What is suitable attire for tourist visiting churches in Europe.

Are sun dresses okay, without leg coverings?

It rather depends on the flavour of the Church. I'd say you'd need to cover up shoulders, arms and legs in anything approaching Catholic or Orthodox. Lutheran churches are unlikely to be as concerned, although local customs may decree otherwise.

Happy Clappy outfits such as Baptists probably don't care.

But if in doubt, then cover up.

Remember that Europe is a big place, from Russia in the East, to Eire in the west, Spitzbergen in the north and the Mediterranean islands in the south. As with so many things, what is acceptable in one place may be unacceptable elsewhere.

You need to have your knees and shoulders covered. There were guards enforcing these rules in Spain and Italy when we were there during May/June. At several of the churches they actually pulled people out of line who were waiting for admission. At others they just stopped them at the door.

There were usually people nearby selling scarves or other type wraps; even saw people selling disposable paper pants and shirts. My personal favorite was the man who made long skirt out of his maps and tucked it into the waist of his shorts.:eek: I wish I'd stopped laughing long enough to take a picture.

You need to have your knees and shoulders covered. There were guards enforcing these rules in Spain and Italy when we were there during May/June. At several of the churches they actually pulled people out of line who were waiting for admission. At others they just stopped them at the door.

There were usually people nearby selling scarves or other type wraps; even saw people selling disposable paper pants and shirts. My personal favorite was the man who made long skirt out of his maps and tucked it into the waist of his shorts.:eek: I wish I'd stopped laughing long enough to take a picture.

You need more than this covered in a Greek Orthodox church.

It is a respect thing. Not a "how much can we get away with" thing. How would an American react to someone visiting Arlington and playing loud music the whole time?

In the past I have carried a lightweight shawl that I can put around my shoulders or use to cover my head if required. That way I can wear a sundress but still access the churches. I have to say that exposed knees are definitely a no-no.

It is a respect thing. Not a "how much can we get away with" thing. How would an American react to someone visiting Arlington and playing loud music the whole time?

I believe if that occured the guards at Arlington would tell them to turn the music off or down. If the guard at the Cathedral in Barcelona felt that the "map skirt" was disrespectful (which I did) he should have denied the man entry. After all that was his job.

Archived