What to pack- last week in August??

Hi CC'ers!

Please help me choose what to pack for our Canada New England cruise the last week of August. I am assuming summer clothes with some windbreaker type layers and jeans (and of course, dressy clothes for dinner). What is the weather like in the Maasdam's ports (Nova Scotia, Quebec, Bar Harbor, etc)?.

Would you packe more summer like or winter like layers?

Thanks in advance!

hi sheebah

i am going the 2nd week of sept and am having the same problem as you in deciding what to take. here is what i am going to put in my bag--

2 pair of jeans

a unlined nylon windbreaker in case it is raining or a little chilly on the deck.

3 pair of cute gouchos and tops for the regular dinners

of course my formal outfit

and 2 pair of light weight ''just my size pants '' ( they are so comfy with an elastic waist band and dont wrinkle, i get them at walmart for about $9 ) with tshirts for roaming around the ship. i travel as light as i can.

i would think you would be able to use more shorts and sleeveless tops but i am just guessing.

if we need anything warmer there are always shops to buy things :D

have a great time.

im so glad i could help you. i love goucho's with a cute top and sandels or a pair of snazzy boots. so comfy and it looks smart. www.newportnews.com has some great outfits to get a idea of what look for in the stores. i love their site but the clothes do run small in size. for out on the deck at night you might need the gloves ( i buy the ones at walmart for about $1.50 for two pair. lightweight but keeps you hands warm. i used them in alaska and they are easy to take and they do the trick. i hope you have a great time.

One thing I try to shy away from on vacation is jeans. I know they are really comfortable but when jeans get wet they stay wet. You never know if you are going to get caught in a quick shower or if on an water excursion, get wet from spray. They are also more bulky for packing. Unless I need them for warmth I go for a chino sort of material or dockers.

One thing I try to shy away from on vacation is jeans. I know they are really comfortable but when jeans get wet they stay wet. You never know if you are going to get caught in a quick shower or if on an water excursion, get wet from spray. They are also more bulky for packing. Unless I need them for warmth I go for a chino sort of material or dockers.

Brrr....good tip Chessie! I think I will heed this warning!

im so glad i could help you. i love goucho's with a cute top and sandels or a pair of snazzy boots. so comfy and it looks smart. www.newportnews.com has some great outfits to get a idea of what look for in the stores. i love their site but the clothes do run small in size. for out on the deck at night you might need the gloves ( i buy the ones at walmart for about $1.50 for two pair. lightweight but keeps you hands warm. i used them in alaska and they are easy to take and they do the trick. i hope you have a great time.

I love Newport news! Such a bargain. Merry cruising!

You can always look at the weather in those cities right now, to get a sense of what it will be like in a few weeks - go to http://www.theweathernetwork.com and at the top left of the page, put in the cities you will be visiting. Or, look under the "statistics" link (left of the page) for what the weather was like last year the week of your cruise.

Snorkel_Girl

Living here in Montreal (2-1/2 hours from Quebec City) the weather can be very warm or a little cool especially in the evenings. Can't speak for the other ports. It also depends on what you consider warm and cool.

For the end of August, I still wear summer type clothing. I would check the weather forecast just before you leave, but kahki pants, short sleeves, sandels, capris are all stuff that I wear end of August, just maybe a light sweater or long sleeved shirt at night. The evenings sometimes are cooler, sometimes they aren't or instead of sandels I may wear a summer ballet flat without socks.

If it rains, well then that's another story.

• 3 weeks later...
http://www.wunderground.com is another great weather website - just click on "trip planner" and put in the name of the city you want to check, and the date range and it will give you years of weather history. I'll be in Canada at the same time as you, and it looks like daytime highs in the 70s, lows in the 50s/60s, and the strong possibility of fog and rain.

http://www.wunderground.com is another great weather website - just click on "trip planner" and put in the name of the city you want to check, and the date range and it will give you years of weather history. I'll be in Canada at the same time as you, and it looks like daytime highs in the 70s, lows in the 50s/60s, and the strong possibility of fog and rain.

Thanks! That is neat.

It will be hot. You will need summer clothes and I would bring along a pair of pants and a long sleeve shirt just in case you get cool at night. Depending on where you are going in Canada, our weather can be just as hot and humid as the Caribbean!

Archived