Taking Travellers Cheques

Cunard Fan

Just a quick question on travellers cheques. I think that the currency on board the QE2 is US$, but, I prefer to take the majority of any money I take in the form of travellers cheques, basically in case I lose them!! The question I have is what form of cheque would be best to take, have them in US$ or in GBP (pounds sterling)?

I ask because it may make all the difference when getting them converted to, say, Euros for port stops because the exchange rates would be different for the two;

i.e. US$ --> Euros and GBP --> Euros.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

We used to take Traveller's cheques but for quite some time we have found it easier to use our Credit Cards and withdraw cash as we need it - The machines are all over the place and easy to access and the credit card company do the various currency conversions for you.

Just a quick question on travellers cheques. I think that the currency on board the QE2 is US$, but, I prefer to take the majority of any money I take in the form of travellers cheques, basically in case I lose them!! The question I have is what form of cheque would be best to take, have them in US$ or in GBP (pounds sterling)?

I ask because it may make all the difference when getting them converted to, say, Euros for port stops because the exchange rates would be different for the two;

i.e. US$ --> Euros and GBP --> Euros.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I'd say to use a credit card as well - you can register it at the start of your cruise and then forget about money for onboard. You can also use it to draw cash in ports when you need it (don't draw too much because your card issuer will treat it as a cash advance and charge extortionate interest on it:) ).

You don' say what country you're from - In the UK it's normal for most card issuers to make a charge for spending in a currency other than sterling - that means that we're paying an extra 2% on top of our bar bill to the bank! There are some companies (Nationwide for example) that don't make that charge - Does that explain why we use a Nationwide card on the QE2?:D

If you really do want to take either currency or cheques I'd take the amount you expect to spend in the currency you're going to be spending - the exchange rates onboard aren't that good, you'll find cheaper rates at home. For money you're taking just in case take in your own currency - there's no point having to convert it twice - If it's for an emergency and you need it you won't be bothered about getting the best exchange rate!

Archived