Outdoor Upper Decks

tabascored

Can you usually access the upper open decks on T/A if the seas are generally calm? When are these areas closed down on the QM2 due to weather?

The most recent crossing looked calm and I was wondering if the open deck areas were open during that crossing.

Thanks for any info.

Sue

Can you usually access the upper open decks on T/A if the seas are generally calm? When are these areas closed down on the QM2 due to weather?

Sue - I can't speak about the QM only the QE but I'd think that both ships will be similar on their transatlantic journeys. On the QE2 there is an observation area at the front of the ship - this is normally closed once you are out of port as it's just too windy - the other decks are normally open even if the weather is bad - I can only think of a couple of times when they have closed the outside decks entirely.

On the two crossings I've been on on QM2, the upper decks are closed fairly frequently. Its all a funtion of the wind; the observation deck is mostly closed, though it was open mid-crossing on an unusually fair day; the front portion of deck 13 is sometimes closed, but reopened as soon as conditions permit. The (indoor) pavillion pool on deck 12 is always open, and usually you can access the open deck from there.

Bottom line, its the weather, and its so unpredictable! But all deck space will be open during the dramatic entry and departures from NYC and Southamption.

Good question as I'm heading over on 8/17. It looks like you've been watching the bridge web cam as I have :)

-Tarry

Yes, I look at the web cam daily. I've found a tracking map which gives air, water temp and wind speed/direction. It's not always up to date but it does give a general feel of what's going on.

Yesterday it was 28C (82F) with winds from SSW at 16. Pretty pleasant if you ask me.

You will be boarding in NY the day we disembark. Hope you have a fabulous trip. I know I will :)

Best regards

Sue

It's www.sailwx.info. Select ship tracker on upper tool bar. Select Cruise ship tracker. A chart will come up. Scoll down and select QM2. It will give you a history. It only gives info on the transatlantic crossings not any side cruises the ship makes.

Good luck

Sue

Archived