? re Cozumel: Chankanaab vs Paradise Beach w/ kids

Guest Time2gocruzn

Guest Time2gocruzn
[b] I have been trying to decide what to at this port (Cozumel). What is the deal w/ Chankanaab? Other than the dolphins, and the not so great shoreline, what else is there at this place? I understand there are some replica ruins, sea lions, but what else? What is the $12 for? I know there is a nice lagoon that is nice for small kids, but $12, for that? I feel like I am missing something here. Everyone says it is nice, but if I am not going to swim w/ the dolphins, and I plan to snorkle in Belize, should I even go here? I have 2 small kids (1.75 and 4) and am kind of leaning towards Paradise Beach. I would rather save my $$ for shopping. Water is water to kids. What do you think? Thanks! (posted on destination board also)[/b]

[quote name='djklove'][b] I have been trying to decide what to at this port (Cozumel). What is the deal w/ Chankanaab? Other than the dolphins, and the not so great shoreline, what else is there at this place? I understand there are some replica ruins, sea lions, but what else? What is the $12 for? I know there is a nice lagoon that is nice for small kids, but $12, for that? I feel like I am missing something here. Everyone says it is nice, but if I am not going to swim w/ the dolphins, and I plan to snorkle in Belize, should I even go here? I have 2 small kids (1.75 and 4) and am kind of leaning towards Paradise Beach. I would rather save my $$ for shopping. Water is water to kids. What do you think? Thanks! (posted on destination board also)[/b][/QUOTE]

With the two small kids I suggest you go to Paradise Beach or Mr. Sanchos if you are not interested in snorkeling.

I think Charles hit the nail on the head. Paradise Beach is a great place for little ones especially if you do not plan to snorkle. The service is great and everyone we came in contact with was friendly.

Judy

[b][color=darkslategray]Although I could (and DO) spend hours at Chankanaab (I think it's worth every penny!):) , I would suggest you and the kids go to Paradise Beach. They would probably be happier there. [/color][/b]
[b][color=darkslategray][/color][/b]
[b][color=darkslategray] Be aware that Paradise Beach Tom says they MAY have to start charging entry fees, but at this time that is not the case.[/color][/b]
[b][color=#2f4f4f][/color][/b]
[b][color=#2f4f4f]On my upcoming cruise, I'll be spending time at Chank for the snorkeling, then on to PB for the remainder of the day.[/color][/b]

My kids are 13, 10, and 6, and at least the older 2 will snorkel. I was trying to decide the same thing and thought we'd try to hit both places when we go on the Rhapsody without the kids. I'd like to know what those of you who've been there think would be best for my group. Should we do Chankanaab or just Paradise Beach? Snorkeling is an issue for us.

You should try to go to Xel-ha. It is right around the corner from Cozumel. This is a Natural water - park. You can go bike riding, swing into the water, look inside a cave, watch the dolphins, snorkel, Snuba, Sea Trek and more. For more information you can visit
[url]http://www.xel-ha.com.mx/[/url] and
[url]http://www.cancun.com/Ecological_Parks/Xel-Ha/[/url]
I could not find the first one in english. I was there last summer and had a blast! Enjoy

Guest Time2gocruzn
[size=3]I guess I am still looking for opinions for the [u][i]ORIGINAL[/i][/u] question. :D Thanks all![/size]

DJKlove, we really enjoyed Paradise beach, but I can't give a comparison as we've never been to Chankanaab. I honestly think that whatever you decide will be fun! I've heard really great things about Chankanaab though, and think that we will take our kids there next time we are in Coz, in Feb.

Just wanted to say, KLOVE if my fav radio station, it's on constantly! We just got the station here in Upstate NY. :o

It is nothing more then you said. For those who like to sunbave and snorkel it is a great place. Plenty of lounge chairs and sun umbrellas for your use. My hubby snorkled there. I was not as impressed with it myself but I am not a "sun worshiper ". You can expect to pay about $10-15 for a taxi each way also. Compared to what we paid for a Carnival excursion in Martinique to go to a beach the price is not bad. I enjoyed the sea lion show but felt a little sad for them-not sure but I believe their native habitat is like around Alaska. I am sure though they keep them in air conditioning. Sea Lions are very intelligent animals-thye seem almost human.

Anyway if you like a day at the beach-you will like it there.

Guest Time2gocruzn
Susanita-Thanks for the info. By the way, My name, (djklove) is my kids initials, noting to do w/ radio, LOL!! :D Well I am getting confused which replies are for my post and which are for the piggyback question so I guess I'll ask on other boards, and see what I get. Thanks again.

[b][color=black]Now [i]I'm[/i] confused as to why you feel you didn't get answers to your questions. I think most everybody was giving you honest answers in order to help.[/color][/b]

[b][color=darkslategray]Piggyback?[/color]:confused: [color=darkslategray]What does that mean?[/color][/b]
[color=darkslategray] [/color]
[b][color=darkslategray]Let's see. You asked what's the $12 for? It's an entry fee, which MOST parks charge for you to enjoy their park (and I would assume to help them pay employees, keep up the grounds, etc.). You said that you already knew there are botanical gardens, sealion shows, etc. Unlike some other parks, Chankanaab doesn't charge to rent loungers, shade, etc. - ALL this is included in the ENTRY fee of $12.[/color][/b]
[color=darkslategray] [/color]
[b][color=darkslategray]What exactly did we not answer for you?:) [/color][/b]

They also have mini-replica ruins that are great. Fresh water showers are also available. Most "free" beaches insist that you buy food and drinks to use the facilities but you are not required to at Chak. We were even allowed to take in our cooler with water, soda and beers. Even PB Tom has posted on the ports of call board that they are thinking about charging an entrance fee because people are not buying enough food and drink during their visits. At Mr. Sanchos last year we had a great time but the chair guy (free chairs) had his hand out for a tip for each chair he told us we could use and that he wiped off. He also brought us a menu right away even though the kitchen was not opening for one hour.

Archived