What is the bast stingray city excursion ?

jessicarwills

We have always booked all of our excursions thru RCCl and have never been disappointed. -( Thank GOD, one time we came back late about 30 minutes and the ship was there waiting for us - about 40 others were also late, various excursions - due to traffic). So be careful when you don't book directly with the cruise ship. They WILL leave without you.

We really loved our last Stingray and Snorkel excursion with RCCL. The boat wasn't overcrowded and everyone got a good amount of time snorkeling and playing with the stingrays. I got to see one up close and personal - yes he climbed up the front of my swimsuit. I also held a HUGE one and even feed a few of the others. Water was waist deep - sandbar- this is the way to go. We even plan on going again in Dec 2006. I believe it's called "Stingray City Sandbar and Snorkel Excursion" for $45.00 and last 2 1/2 - 3 hrs. Mom and Mother-in-law even plan on going with us this time:D :D

Go and have a blast.

We took the stingray tour with ebanks watersports. What a great tour! $40 a piece for three hour tour. Because of publicity about Steve Erwin, fewer folks doing these tours - mistake on their part. Ebanks was professional and certainly well worth the value. We were there on a Sunday so also fewer folks. Turned out to be just my husband and I, so like a private tour. And they were wonderful. Visit their website for more info - "ebanks watersports".

If you decide to book through RCCL try the Cockatoo Catamaran. We have done this twice and are booked again. Less people than on the regular RCCL tours - well worth the couple extra dollars. Both times only 30-40 pepole on the trip. BTW - my daughter booked Capt Marvins on her last trip and really enjoyed it, but she thought that the Cockatoo was better.

How did you book with them?

We booked through Island Marketing which used Capt. Bryan on Sept 12th. We were extremely happy with the service provided. We had plenty of time with the stingray's and did some snorkeling at the reef afterward. They got us back to town in time to do some shopping and sightseeing. Capt Bryan's staff was extremely friendly and helpful during the excursion.

We booked on the Hannibal 11/13. Do you know if they have food or drinks and can we bring our own?

DW and I were in GC last week and had booked Captain Marvin's 8:30am 2-stop excursion. We had about 20 people on our boat with plenty of room to move around. There was only one other boat at Stingray City when we got there, and several (a couple of which were packed full) when we left. Everyone who wanted got time with a stingray and everyone would've gotten to feed them if the bucket of food hadn't accidentally been knocked over, but no use crying over spilled squid. ;) After SC, we got to snorkel at the Coral Gardens which were beautiful.

Overall we had a great time and the staff and crew were fabulous. We wouldn't hesitate to book with Captain Marvin's again on a future trip.

I would love to do the stingray city and snorkling, but we have 3 small children in our group (4,6,8) who cannot do that. Any options for stingray city only and then to the beach? (we've been to GC before - even did stingray city before - but others in our group haven't - it's worth doing again).

I will look for Captain Marvin's web site -- maybe he has options there.

We booked a Zodic in Grand Cayman and our captain's name was Nick...we really enjoyed our excursion. The Zodiac took us to the sandbar and then we went directly to Starfish Beach. We had 5 children in our group...5.5, 4.5, 3.5, 3, & 1.5 years. All of the children loved it. The 1.5 year old did not get in at Stingray City and was able to sleep under a palm tree at Starfish Beach. Send me an email and I will give you booking info...

Nativeway has been much discussed here. They were great! They have the Stingrays, Reef and Rumpoint (something like that) excursion that cost $60 and includes snorkel gear, lunch, punch, transportation, etc. There were 3 guides with one videographer. If you wanted the video of your excursion it ran $65.00 including shipping. We only had about 12 or so people with us while the cruise ships had large crowds. The guides were fantastic and showed us the time of our life! Be sure to check them out!

I totally agree with Jandcbrown. We went last year with Nativeway, did the Reef, Ray & Rumpoint tour. And of course, bought the video which was done very professionally with great caribbean music. We will be there in a couple of weeks and are doing the same excursion so the rest of my family can experience it! It is the most memorable excursion I have done on all 6 of my cruises! Nativeway definitely ROCKS! I highly recommend them.

• 3 weeks later...

We'll be on the Rhapsody in January. I assume the waters at that time are warm. Having cruised only in July, winter cruising is new to us. Also do you suggest wearing water shoes when at the Sting Ray Sandbar or can I go "au naturale"? I read you have to shuffle and not pick your feet up as you walk around the sandbar.

Can anyone tell me why RCCL lists 3 seperate sting ray sandbars tours, all the same price? Two are 2 1/2 hours, 1 is 3 hours. All have a variation of the same excursion name. Stingray city swim & snorkel; Stingray City Sandbar, Swim and Snorkel; Stingray swim and snorkel. :confused: I'll call the cruiseline directly but thought someone on here would know. Taking the ship excursion because my husband is wimping out. Thought it would give me peace of mind to go with the ship's group.

BonNYTX:

We (family of 5) went with Captain Marvin's half-day excursion and were told you could NOT wear water shoes or anything on your feet....and yes, you do need to shuffle your feet along rather than taking steps. I told my kids just to pretend they were skating.

I highly recommend Captain Marvin's.....my 16 year old daughter has physical disabilities and they were quite helpful and nice to her without calling any attention to her special needs (which she really appreciated). We bought the DVD they offer from the onboard videographer and I'm so glad we did because it's great to watch and "relive" the experience. Just a hint, though.....they first offer it for $60. Then, if you've shown interest but not said "yes", they will quietly tell you they can go down to $50 when the ride back to shore is almost over. Well, when we were getting off their boat my DH approached the videographer and offered $40 which he accepted with no fuss at all and we got our DVD in the mail about 8-10 days later! Happy sails all! The stingrays are such a wonderful experience....

Archived