Best and cheapest way to get around?

NYCHICK

Hi I am booked for September 3rd on the norwegian crown and wanted to know the best way to get around? Are scooters worth it? Is it very difficult if you have never done it before? Are taxis expensive? The cruise will be docked at kings wharf, haliton, and st george 2 days each so our plan is to sightsee one day and lounge the next.

Any suggestions?

ps - anyone try the freestyle lunches from the crown, were you happy with them?

Hi I am booked for September 3rd on the norwegian crown and wanted to know the best way to get around? Are scooters worth it? Is it very difficult if you have never done it before? Are taxis expensive? The cruise will be docked at kings wharf, haliton, and st george 2 days each so our plan is to sightsee one day and lounge the next.

Any suggestions?

ps - anyone try the freestyle lunches from the crown, were you happy with them?

If you have are not a proficient motor cycle rider do not do the scooters. Every cruise there is at least one serious accident and sometimes more than that. Remember besides doing something new you are driving on the British side of the road and the roads are narrow and sandy- a terrible combination Do a search on scooters and you will see. Taxis are expensive by NY standards because gas is so expensive. Bermuda is an expensive Island.

You can walk around St George. You can walk to the Beaches there Tobacco Bay or Ft St Catherine's.

Hamilton is also walkable and a short cab ride to Horseshoe Bay Beach.

I suggest that when you are in St George that you use the Dine A Round program to eat at the Carriage House(you can make reservation on line) as long as they are still participating.

The freestyle lunches are fine.

Just got back from Bermuda and the Crown! Wonderfull!

We bought the 3 day bus/ferry pass for $28 each and highly recommend this means of transportation! It is easy and very accessible and not confusing at all. (pink posts are going to Hamilton and Blue posts are going awayfrom Hamilton) Never had to wait more than 15 minutes!!

We upgraded our $5 lunch voucher to the $10 dinner voucher and made reservations to the Carriage house in St. Georges before we left on the cruise, so we chose a table on the patio overlooking the harbour!! Highly recommended!

Cheers....Fred&Tracie

Definitely go for the bus/ferry pass. It is the easiest and safest way to get around Bermuda. Bermuda is the most beautiful island IMHO. You'll have a wonderful time. Don't forget to visit Horseshoe Bay. The bus will take you right by it, just ask the driver to stop for you.

suggest you do the math before you decide. Believe the 3 day pass is $28 or $32 per person. In St. George a taxi to St. Catherine's or Tobacco is between $6-7 each way -- the shuttle in the Square is $3 per person. Cabfare for 5 people to Horseshoe from Hamilton was $24 -- from Hamilton to John Smith's Bay for 4 people was $15 -- so depending on many people are in your party it actually might be cheaper to taxi. If you absolutely want to rent a scooter I suggest you do it from dockyard. There seems to be less traffic on that side and you can explore the south shore beaches on your own. Since its the last stop on your trip it will give you some time to become somewhat familiar with the traffic patterns.

suggest you do the math before you decide. Believe the 3 day pass is $28 or $32 per person. In St. George a taxi to St. Catherine's or Tobacco is between $6-7 each way -- the shuttle in the Square is $3 per person. Cabfare for 5 people to Horseshoe from Hamilton was $24 -- from Hamilton to John Smith's Bay for 4 people was $15 -- so depending on many people are in your party it actually might be cheaper to taxi. If you absolutely want to rent a scooter I suggest you do it from dockyard. There seems to be less traffic on that side and you can explore the south shore beaches on your own. Since its the last stop on your trip it will give you some time to become somewhat familiar with the traffic patterns.

• 9 months later...

OK, it seems that most people on here do not like the scooters, however, I am going to be in Bermuda on a Sunday and it seems that the Island shuts down a lot then. The bus schedules look much leaner than on the weekdays and I would have a lot less choice relying on them, than getting my own scooter.

So, has anyone else been docked on a Sunday and did they try and rely on a scooter to get to see more of the island in their short time there?

We haven't been there on a Sunday, but we use the mopeds exclusively for getting around Bermuda. I wouldn't want to drive my own, but I ride on the back whle my DH drives (he does know how to drive a motorcycle).

If you take it slow and are careful, you should be fine. There won't be the usual commuter traffic on a Sunday. The city of Hamilton is the most difficult place to drive mopeds, so I would think Sunday at the dockyard end of the island would be pretty safe.

Just be considerate and let faster drivers pass you.

OK, it seems that most people on here do not like the scooters, however, I am going to be in Bermuda on a Sunday and it seems that the Island shuts down a lot then. The bus schedules look much leaner than on the weekdays and I would have a lot less choice relying on them, than getting my own scooter.

So, has anyone else been docked on a Sunday and did they try and rely on a scooter to get to see more of the island in their short time there?

We rented a scooter last time we were there and loved it. You can explore everything on your own. If you get nervous driving on the opposite of the road, do not do it. If you adapt easily, like my hubby, then go for it.

smoosh - if you want to hire a scooter, familiarise yourself with it first, and spend a while in dockyard until you are confident on the bike as it is quieter there than elsewhere. Once you head out, the roads are narrow, and the traffic will pass you very close by. Drivers there are used to novice tourists on bikes but you do have to exercise care and stay alert and attentive. Traffic drives on the left, but you quickly get used to it. I worked there for two years and drove a scooter the whole time. The biggest problem I found with visitors on bikes, was when they dithered or meandered and wobbled along slowly. Scooters do give you an added freedom that you won't have with any public transport (you can check out all the wonderful beaches, coves and inlets very easily) but the ferries and particularly the buses are a wonderful way to get some interraction with bermudians.

I agree that riding a scooter in Bermuda is dangerous. Buy a three-Zone 15 ticket bus pass for around $20. Save the tickets you don't use as they have no expiration date and you can use them on your next trip.

Just there a week or so ago.. What a great place.

Re Scooters.. I'm an "Old Biker" (yes both ways) and I really would not want to tackle the roads of Hamilton and surrounding hillsides unless I had some practise on those scooters. "Wrong side" of the road/buses passing/narrow roads other traffic... nope & this was only May ...... can't imagine what it's like in the warm weather. Locals must hate cruise ships pax's....other than for the trade. :)

This has got to be one of the best stops we have been to anywhere....

Arrange for a bus/ferry pass.. only way to go I think.

Our family of 4 really used the bus/ferry passes during our cruise in Bermuda last summer. The ferry ride from St. Georges to Dockyard gave us great views of the Bermuda coastline. It was entertainment as well as transportation.

Archived