A million questions keep popping into my head. . .

PineyEsquire

Piney, you know the Lido Buffet is available for b'fast and lunch, as well as the dining room, right? If you wanted to stay in your swimwear and coverups, you could have either meal there.

But yes, shorts and tees are allowed in the formal dining room at b'fast and lunch. (Just wanted to be sure you know you have that option.):)

I'm so confused about this tipping process. . . :confused:

I get that $10 per person/per day. I get that bar drinks have 15% added to them. But who/when do I need to tip personally? I've read several posts about being sure to carry lots of singles, and I've read about being sure to tip the room steward to make sure he keeps the cooler filled with ice. . .

Please straighten me out!

I'm so confused about this tipping process. . . :confused:

I get that $10 per person/per day. I get that bar drinks have 15% added to them. But who/when do I need to tip personally? I've read several posts about being sure to carry lots of singles, and I've read about being sure to tip the room steward to make sure he keeps the cooler filled with ice. . .

Please straighten me out!

Cash is for tipping room service (buck or two a throw), and porters (a buck a bag is good). You may tip the steward extra cash if he performs a service "above and beyond" (such as filling your cooler full of illicit booze). ;)

You will be "asked" to tip the Maitre d' on the last night, you may also consider doing this if again, if he goes "above and beyond".

Other cash tipping possibilites are Cab drivers, tour guides, etc in ports.

......... But who/when do I need to tip personally? I've read several posts about being sure to carry lots of singles, and I've read about being sure to tip the room steward to make sure he keeps the cooler filled with ice. . .

OK, the 'extra' tipping would involve:

1) Porters at the pier who take your luggage. The customary tip is $1 per piece of luggage.

2) The room service delivery person - Even though there is no charge for the food, you should tip him $1-2 each time he brings an order.

No need to tip the cabin steward up front - He will fill your ice bucket twice a day when he services your cabin. If you need add'l ice, just ask. Stewards are off-duty from around noon-5pm, so if you need more ice, call room service.

Many folks, including myself, give the steward a little extra cash at the end of the cruise. Some also give the waiters a little extra.

I am a tremendously picky eater. :o I know the chefs are cooking for 3000 people, and I will try not to be too hard to get along with, but if I have special requests, will they accomodate? I'm not talking about ordering something not even on the menu. . . but let's say there's beef being served topped with onions. Can I order it sans onions? And are they going to hate me by the end of the week if I do that at every meal? I am, of course, willing to tip extra for the extra hassle of my particular palate. ;)

As far as additional tipping possibilities, I'd add:

Piano bar player (maybe $2.00 -$5.00*, more if you make a request)

Live band/jazz trio in lounges (I'd say $5.00, assuming you enjoy it, of course)

Karaoke MC (actually, I didn't tip this guy last time, because he wasn't particularly special, and the idea of tipping for Karaoke frankly never occurred to me, but I'll probably give him $5.00 this time -- he's got some annoying people to deal with... :) )

*please take these suggestions with a grain of salt -- your mileage may vary. :)

....... will they accomodate? I'm not talking about ordering something not even on the menu. . . but let's say there's beef being served topped with onions. Can I order it sans onions?

You can certainly make that request; however, you have to realize that some dishes have ingredients that can't be removed. For instance, I love everything about Beef Wellington. BUT, some seem to have an aversion to the goose liver pate`. It can't be ordered a different way, as it's one of the layers inside the pastry. You can ask that sauces not be served over or around your entree.

Ugh. . .I feel like such a virgin!

Fiance wants to eat in dining room, but I want pizza or something from the buffet. . . can I grab what I want and take it to the dining room? Or what about pizza to the buffet or vice versa?

Ugh. . .I feel like such a virgin!

Fiance wants to eat in dining room, but I want pizza or something from the buffet. . . can I grab what I want and take it to the dining room? Or what about pizza to the buffet or vice versa?

As far as the Dining Room goes, no; you can however order pizza off the kids menu if you absolutely must. Although not on the menu, chicken breast or steak is always available.

Eating pizza in the buffet is not a problem.

Sorry, but no, you should never take any food into the dining room. (Trying to help you out here, and not putting you down, but that would be really crass.);)

In the buffet area, there are tables galore, and you can get something from the buffet, or the pizzeria, or salad bar, or deli - and take anything you want to a table.

I believe the pizza on the children's menu in the dining room is just plain cheese pizza...at least that's all I've seen on children's plates. But yes, you can order from the children's menu OR order a steak or chicken w/baked potato.

An idea for wedding gifts: Funship dollars, and photo and drink credits.
Where do I go to do that?

Once you get that magical booking number you can give it to those that inquire (along with the ship and sail date). They can call Carnival's 800 number and order for you or they can do it online also through the Bon Voyage Department - http://www.carnival.com/BonVoyage/Default.aspx.

Gift Certificates are on the main page while Photos and Bar Coupons are under Specialty Items. They even have honeymoon itmes under Wedding and Romance items.

Congrats!

Let me just add one thing - hopefully no one will think it crass to ask - but there is a reason.

IF someone decides they want to order you something from Carnival ask that they PLEASE print off the confirmation and seal it in an envelope and give it to you. This is be the only proof you have that an item was ordered. I would hate for you to get back from your cruise and Aunt Betty get all bent out of shape because you didn't thank her for the flowers she sent to your cabins- BUT - how you were you suppose to know - they never arrived. You just keep the envelopes sealed until the first sea day and then open them. By then you will have gotten everything and you will be able to tell if something didn't arrive. THEN if something is missing you can go to the pursers desk with the confirmation and get it taken care of. Also - you will have record of who gave you what.

On our last cruise they forgot to put notes with the gifts I gave our sailing companions and I had to ask if they got the gift. They didn't know who had sent it to thank them. I was on the trip with them - so I knew to check.

When I give something to someone that I'm not traveling with I give them card and tell them not to open it until the first day at sea. The card contains the confirmation and a little note explaining that I enclosed the confirmation in case they didn't receive their item and instruct them to go to the purser with the confirmation if not received. They still got to be surprised and I got to relax knowing that if the item didn't arrive they could handle it while on board.

Either the item will be in your cabin or you will receive it at dinner the first night.

Oh yeah - since you are leaving soon - instead of gift certificates or fun dollars they can put a direct deposit to your S&S account.

While it might seem tacky to some - Just explain to them that you can only take care of missing items while you are on the cruise - it gets difficult if you try to afterwards.

Hope this helps.

Absolutely no offense taken! I ask these questions 'cause I don't want to be that girl on the cruise. So I appreciate your answers. :)

I don't think any of us want to be that girl (or guy)! :) Also, as someone with 5 cruises under her belt I still enjoy these informational threads because it seems there's always something new to learn about cruising.

Absolutely no offense taken! I ask these questions 'cause I don't want to be that girl on the cruise. So I appreciate your answers. :)

Somehow, I knew you'd take that in the spirit in which it was intended. I can see that you just want to do the 'correct' things. You'll do just fine, believe me...you have a great attitude.

I'm confused by this whole porter/checking luggage thing. What are our options when we get to the dock? From my understanding, you can:

1. Take the luggage up yourself;

2. Have porters tote it up to your room; or

3. Check it with Carnival (but it may not get there until after dinner).

Those are the three different and distinct options, right? Or is the luggage left with the porters then checked anyhow?

I have a few suggestions for you.... Check to see if you can bring wine to your table. Often you can and a $10 corking fee is charged. If you drink soda buy a soda card. I was just on a Princess cruise for 2 weeks, paid $59 plus the 15% and was able to get unlimited soda of any kind. For someone that drinks Rum and coke this was a big savings. I brought my own rum on the ship and made my own rum and cokes. Mix drinks such as a rum and coke cost about $6.00 with the tip..

The trips off the ship are expensive, and often you are paying for a walking guided tour. I traveled through Europe and did each trip on our own. The people from the ship who paid four times as much as I did, stood in the same lines, and waited for a lot more money. Example, the two hour wait for the Vatican.. no one from the cruise got into there any quicker than I did.

Answer to your first question... you will get your documents within two weeks of your trip. I have received documents within one week. If you don't have them seven days out call and check where they are. Point of interest.. if you suppose to get anything (example a bottle of wine in your cabin) make sure you have a voucher for it when you receive your paperwork.

........ From my understanding, you can:

1. Take the luggage up yourself;

ONLY if it will all fit into the rather small opening of the x-ray machine...which is something like 11"x17". (Would you really want to lug that heavy luggage all the way to your cabin anyway?);)

2. Have porters tote it up to your room; or

There are no 'porters' allowed on the ship.

3. Check it with Carnival (but it may not get there until after dinner).

This is what 99% of passengers do. Check it with the porters at the pier, just outside the terminal. Customary tip is $1 per piece of luggage. They put all luggage on carts and load it onto the ship. Cabin stewards then take the luggage to the cabins.

Most luggage is delivered prior to your dining time; however, if it isn't, don't worry about it. The first night's dress code is more casual, as some may not have their luggage. (I just wear something when boarding that will be appropriate for the dining room.) BUT, you'll see some in shorts that first evening.

I believe this is right - if you leave it with the porters that's the same as checking it with Carnival. If you don't have a lot of baggage you can carry it on. But, I wouldn't want to carry all my luggage around with me:rolleyes:.

We gave our luggage to the porters at the curb in Tampa - tipped them a dollar a bag and they were in our room by mid afternoon (except for our hanging bag - it was laying down the hall in the floor:eek: ).

I agree with cotton and seashell36, even if you don't have a lot of luggage, your room may not be ready when you board, I sure don't want to tote all my stuff around the ship while we eat lunch, get drinks, or whatever. We just check them with the porter at the curb and take a small carry on with our swim suits and a few personal things. Have fun and relax. Glad you found CC aren't you? I know I am.

Jess

5) If you have a favorite liquor drink, order a bottle of the liquor from Carnival's Bon Voyage Service and have it waiting for you in your room. You're allowed to carry on any non-alcoholic mixers you need. Yes, the Bon Voyage Service will charge a pretty penny for the bottle, but it's still cheaper than paying $5 per drink when you're on board.

Hello

I have been all over carnival's site to find where I can order a bottle of spirits - PLEASE tell me how I can do this!

Doreen

Hello

I have been all over carnival's site to find where I can order a bottle of spirits - PLEASE tell me how I can do this!

Doreen

Click on the link for filling in your funpass. When you get to that page, there should be a link for gifts.

Archived