Where to Park Rental Car?

Caribbea

Hi, I will be sailing on the Pride of Hawaii in September 2006 and am planning on renting a car in each port (Hilo-Hawaii, Kahului-Maui, Nawiliwili-Kauai). I have not decided on which car company to rent from yet, however, would you know where to park the car overnight that is close to the ship in Maui & Kauai and how much it will cost, if not FREE? Also, how is parking at the attractions (Volcanoes National Park, Haleakala National Park, Iao Valley State Park, Waimea Canyon, Wailua Falls)...are they FREE and plentiful?

Hi, I will be sailing on the Pride of Hawaii in September 2006 and am planning on renting a car in each port (Hilo-Hawaii, Kahului-Maui, Nawiliwili-Kauai). I have not decided on which car company to rent from yet, however, would you know where to park the car overnight that is close to the ship in Maui & Kauai and how much it will cost, if not FREE? Also, how is parking at the attractions (Volcanoes National Park, Haleakala National Park, Iao Valley State Park, Waimea Canyon, Wailua Falls)...are they FREE and plentiful?

I don't know about over night parking, but I do know that at the state parks and such you usually pay an enterance fee (usually less than $10) and that includes parking. So, aside from the entrance fee, parking should be free.

In Kauai they wanted to charge $8-$10 to park overnight at the shopping center down the road with a free shuttle. There is a park near by that didn't have any signs stating no overnight parking. Walmart has a free shuttle but I don't know how late it runs.

We took ours back at the end of the first day because we needed to be back to the ship by 1:30pm, we just took a free shuttle to the beach/shopping and also did the helicopter ride on day two.

I think Maui had limited free parking, we only rented one day. We took the Road to Hana tour thru the ship so we would be back on time. It was great.

POAm July 15, 2006

We parked free overnight right by the pier in Maui. Parking was pretty full by the time we got back that night from the luau we had booked ourselves, but we did find a place to park in the lot.

We took ours back at the end of the first day because we needed to be back to the ship by 1:30pm, we just took a free shuttle to the beach/shopping and also did the helicopter ride on day two.

POAm July 15, 2006

Which free shuttle takes you to which beach?

Parking at parks:

VNP and Haleakala are National parks. There is a $10 per car admission and then plenty of places to park. VNP has many different spots that you can pull off to see and they all have adequate parking. Certain times of day, particularly at the Thurston Lava Tubes it gets crowded, but you should still be able to find parking. Haleakala can get crowded for the sunrise sometimes, I hear, but there is plenty of parking. Iao Valley, Waimea Canyon and most of the falls are in state parks and so are free attractions. We found plenty of free parking at each one.

Yes, as others have stated there is definitely parking available in Kahului and Nawiliwili. In Kahului, the parking lot is practically right there on the dock. The parking will fill up fast by early evening, but it's free. In Nawiliwili, I had to pay the $10 to park at the shopping center down the street. Didn't see any other lots close by, but I guess you could park at Wal-Mart and take a shuttle back if it's not too late. Not sure about Hilo parking. I saw cars parked at the dock, but I didn't know if they were from renters, or workers. There also wasn't really much parking space either way. That port seemed like a Nightmare when I was there as they didn't have shuttle buses to take you to the rental car company, only shuttle vans which filled up fast. Try to get off the ship early in Hilo!

Archived