SNUBA - Review

B-52

Just got back from Western, 7/16. Prior to our cruise I posted questions for SNUBA with Stingrays information. Not many people replied other that others asking for same info.

I have to say, it is great! The excursion only takes 12 people at a time, and will expand to 18 during peak season.

You go to a site a distance away from the sandbar were the other excursions are. You are in about 15' deep water.

Heres how it works:

There is a inflatable raft with air tanks, attached is 6 airlines with regulators, 20' long. 2 rafts X 6 = 12 people.

You are given a mask and a weight belt, no fins.

Basically you do not need to swim, just float down to the bottom. You are buoyant so you can swim if need to, but the idea is to remain on the bottom (standing or sitting) and let the Stingrays swim all around you.

The guide is submerged with you, wearing full Scuba equipment, and carrying Squid. When the Stingrays see you they swarm thinking you should have food for them.

On the way in I asked how come I could not get more info on-line? I was told that they have exclusive Franchise for the caymans, and contracted with the Cruise Lines, who have been out doing Photo shoots for advertising, but they guess they are waiting for the peak season?

I have underwater photo's if anyone is interested, however the quality is not good. First time underwater with a camera and could not get the auto-focus to work right.

Also I saw boatload after boatload heading towards the Stingray sandbar. Our guide stated as many as 7,000 people a day pass through there.

Just got back from Western, 7/16. Prior to our cruise I posted questions for SNUBA with Stingrays information. Not many people replied other that others asking for same info.

I have to say, it is great! The excursion only takes 12 people at a time, and will expand to 18 during peak season.

You go to a site a distance away from the sandbar were the other excursions are. You are in about 15' deep water.

Heres how it works:

There is a inflatable raft with air tanks, attached is 6 airlines with regulators, 20' long. 2 rafts X 6 = 12 people.

You are given a mask and a weight belt, no fins.

Basically you do not need to swim, just float down to the bottom. You are buoyant so you can swim if need to, but the idea is to remain on the bottom (standing or sitting) and let the Stingrays swim all around you.

The guide is submerged with you, wearing full Scuba equipment, and carrying Squid. When the Stingrays see you they swarm thinking you should have food for them.

On the way in I asked how come I could not get more info on-line? I was told that they have exclusive Franchise for the caymans, and contracted with the Cruise Lines, who have been out doing Photo shoots for advertising, but they guess they are waiting for the peak season?

I have underwater photo's if anyone is interested, however the quality is not good. First time underwater with a camera and could not get the auto-focus to work right.

Also I saw boatload after boatload heading towards the Stingray sandbar. Our guide stated as many as 7,000 people a day pass through there.

Were you on a Royal Caribbean ship? We were booked to do the Stingray City Snuba Tour last month but we had tendering issues and wound up missing the boat.

Luckily, we had a good staff member who managed to re-book us on a snuba tour to dive the wreck of the Cali instead. I was really disappointed to miss the stingrays as it appears to be a once-in-a-lifetime experience but did enjoy trying snuba for the first time. I plan on going back to the Cayman Islands and doing Stingray City for sure next time.

I would love to see your photos. I also have a few snuba photos in the links in my signature below.

Cheers!

Archived