Cities on the sea?

mystte

Today's cruise ships would no sooner sail without a spa than without stabilisers, and they're growing in size.

Now we have the world's biggest floating spa, measuring 2,900 square metres, aboard Costa Cruises' new giant Costa Concordia, the largest cruiser based in Europe at 112,000 tons.

That's not all - Concordia also offers a cruising first: a full-scale Formula One driving simulator with real "G" forces and vibrations.

The $A716 million ship, carrying up to 3,800 passengers was christened by supermodel Eva Herzigova "to symbolise peace and harmony between European nations," Costa Cruises said.

Costa Concordia is the first of triplets. Costa Serena is due to be launched next May and a yet-to-be-named third vessel of the same dimensions should debut in 2009.

Two other Costa liners of 92,700 tons liners are due in 2009 and 2010, lifting the fleet size to 15.

The Samsara Spa wellness centre, extending over two decks, reflects "spiritual enlightenment and rejuvenation."

It offers a gym, Turkish bath, solarium, holistic treatments and an indoor spa pool offering thalassotherapy massages using air jets and hot ionised seawater.

Passengers can even stay in the spa - it encompasses 67 cabins and suites with direct access to all the facilities and a package of spa privileges and treatments.

One of the ship's five dining rooms, Ristorante Samsara, also offers a range of "wellness foods."

Built to resemble a grand hotel, Costa Concordia also sports a three-storey theatre, 13 bars, two huge poolside video screens, a jogging track and three pool.

Costa Concordia offers seven-night cruises from Rome to Spain, Majorca, Tunisia, Malta and Sicily, with fares from $A1,310pp - or from $A1,448pp in one of the Samsara Spa cabins.

Details: visit http://www.costacruises.com.au or call 1300-725-417.

Is this what you mean by cities on the sea??

Sounds great if that is what people want but I must admit I liked the serenity on the Pacific Sun cruise I went on in April. Bright entertainment to total relaxation and quiet, that's enough choice for me. I don't like being crowded and with all that onboard I would feel stifled. I'm looking forward to the Pacific Dawn and I think that's about as big as I would like for cruising.

I would love to try the Dawn, it's being totally refitted for Australia isn't it. That would be nice and fresh.

I'm with you on that, at this stage I just want to relax also. But you never know in the future... but then I'm game to try anything once (almost):)

Archived