Log Your Exercise Progress Here

RB Bonzo

Ran a 5k race today. I decided to run the entire distance rather than combine running and walking (which would have gotten me a better time). Was glad I did. Got 34:20 (which was \a PR :p). My running buddy who is a bit behind me progress-wise took a few walking breaks and did about 32:00.

This was the furthest that I've run in 22 years!

Great job RB. I started to let myself walk here and there on my long runs, i knoew i am going to have to on the marathon. I have added this huge A-- hill in my runs, now i can run up hills but this one is killer, it goes up, then flat,then up, flat and up again. I can run to the second flat then i have to walk. My goal now is to be able to run the whole hill by my marathon.

Last night, walked 2.5 miles at moderate pace w/ DW. This morning, set out to run the same course. Left knee started to hurt a bit at 1.75 miles, so I eased up and walked the rest. Feels ok now. Planning long run/walk on Saturday, so wanted to rest it.

Sheila - I saw your loss on the 10% board - you are doing great!!

All that I did yesterday was a 40 minute walk during the day. This morning, I did a 10 mile walk/run - a beautiful trip along a very scenic route that I will do again. About a third of the trip is along a river, and most of it is through farmland and by a number of the tobacco barns that are so characteristic of the lower Connecticut river valley.

As for the run, I did 6 five-minute runs w/ 20 minute rapid walking intervals in between. Averaged a 13 minute mile pace overall. I'll do long walk/runs like that as I continue preparation for half-marathon, gradually increasing running time durations and reducing brisk walking durations. Will probably go with a 10 minute/15 minute spread on race day. Set a goal to finish the half in 2:30.

RB, looks like you are about ready for that half. 10 miles is great. I would like to get my times shorter. On my really long runs i am averaging 12 mile min., i know some miles i run faster and others slower. 20 miles took me 4 hours. I would like to complete the marathon in 5 hours. Tommorow i will do 22 miles:eek: . I will post how it goes.

sam:

good luck on 22 miles! dont make yourself crazy with the time on your first marathon.....enjoy the experience.....and remember that running 26.2 miles is a HUGE accomplishment! you are going to join a very exclusive club of marathon finishers!

RB....it sounds like your training is going great for your half marathon! you should be able to break 2:30 with your current training schedule!

i am hoping to get back to running with the doctor's permission in 3 weeks :)

nancy

I did my 22 yesterday, ireally struggled with the last 3miles. Everything hurt, but i made it. I am ready for the marathon. Today i aam pretty stiff, not really sore just stiff. I will probaly only do some stretching and yoga today.

Sheila - are you going to start tapering down at this point? Sure sounds like you're ready!

Yesterday, my daughter (15) asked me to help her get started, so went back to page one and did week one with her. Her gym instructor advised that he expects her class to all be able to run a mile in under 10 minutes, and she wants to be able to meet that standard. She did well!

Today, I ran about 3 miles and then did a brisk walk back.

Both of these runs were while visiting my in-laws, who live nearby a bicycle path that runs along a bay. Very nice place for a run. I was surprised at how quickly I ran the 3 miles w/ no hills!

Today I ran 5 miles and walked 4. My gym is closed for the week. They do this every year so they can spruce up the place. It sucks:mad: only 5 more days to go. Yesterday i did not exercise at all:eek: I slept in, i was groggy all day. I miss my weight training, but i read somewhere that it is good to skip a week of weights because when you go back to it, it shocks your muscles.

Did a 10 mile combined walk/run this morning. Did essentially the same course in about 2:20 last week; managed to do it in 2:03 today by increasing the run/walk ratio and not being as strict about the time intervals in order to walk up the hills and run down them.

Still hoping to get to a pace to do a half marathon in 2:30; if I do that, I'll qualify for and enter the DC Marathon in the spring (not the Marine one; a different, substantially smaller one). The half marathon is mid-October, so that may be a little too soon.

Sheila, how did your long-run go this weekend?

With a cruise looming in January 08, I wonder if anyone has any tips on how to seriously tone (reduce) the upper arms please - triceps I think? I have 'straps' - do these really work? Going to a gym is a bit of a problem for me, so need to workout at home. If weights are the answer, could you suggest what I should purchase (I find home-made weights difficult to grip comfortably).

Well done to you all for your fitness achievements.

Many thanks

Kaz

Archived