Cozumel Beach- Which one is this?

rono41

Ok ya'll.. That looks like a great place to visit (chen rio) but how are the facilities? Do they have bathrooms or changing areas? And is it safe to swim? We like the idea of waves, but someone mentioned rip tides? We're also bringing our 2 1/2 year old daughter. Also, is there an area to snorkel?

There are restrooms there... functional.. not "high end" though!

There is a protected area for swimming/snorkeling..

here are some other links:

http://cozumelmexico.net/Chen_Rio.html

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/francosmaps/

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/beaches/beach_chenrio.htm

Additional map link:

http://www.frankosmaps.com/Cozumel.htm

(Trust me, I bought one of these maps, and it really helps you get your bearings - otherwise you can easily get LOST...lol)

(and, yes, there was one time we went there when there was a slight amount of run-off - causing the water to be somewhat a "tannic" color - still there was plenty of area unaffected by it - assuming it was a problem at all)

Tom

From what I understand, a good beach and snorkeling are almost mutually exclusive. The rocks etc. that make for good snorkeling don't make for a great "beach". At Paradise, there's not much to see unless you go to a small section at the very end of the roped area, then there is a nice coral formation with some creatures. You may want to snorkel at Chakanaab or somewhere like that in the morning and then hang at Paradise later in the day.

The protected area there, intrestingly enough, does have plenty of rock formations to attract a varitey of colorful fish - but at the same time the area does have large spots with sandy bottom too ! If you have not been there, I would give it a try... we did, and returned a few times!

Tom

Tom n Cheryl, and everyone else.. You all have been great! Great information! Now, three more questions. (1) If you take a cab ride there (To Chen Rio), how can you guarantee you'll be back to the ship on time. Do the taxis stay there? The last thing we need is to be stuck on Cozumel.. But then again, it might be just fine ;) Anyway, will there be a taxi to pick us up when we want to leave? (2) How expensive is it for the cab ride? (3) Did you mention that Chen Rio is free?

When we have gone, our ship has been there until MIDNIGHT.. but we are always still aware that we would be STUCK if the cab did not return... we have always arranged with them to come back at a specific time (usually after 3 hours) - they have always made good (one time the fellow sent his son - also a cabbie - to pick us up)... if nothing else, there are usually 1 or 2 groups of people there with a car - so all hope would not be lost... just give youself a couple of hours of extra time..

It is free to get in, but I think there is a 2 drink minimum... not a biggie.

The cab ride is $25 ONE WAY... in a car.. once, when we went with another group, we use a van (8 passenger) which was $50 ONE WAY... it is a fair distance!

Tom

I also agree Chen Rio was paradise. We spent a little time there on our jeep tour and it's so beautiful. Would definatley consider spending the whole day there on our next trip back. Here's the beach:

Image-ECBCE4DDB7DC11D8.jpg

Very nice there! More pictures if you click on my website below.

That very well might be "Chen Rio," however it looks like Punta Chiqueros outside of the Playa Bonita restaurant on the windward side. In my opinion, IT is the best beach on the whole island. Ricardo serves up the best shrimp fajitas and coronas on the planet.

That very well might be "Chen Rio," however it looks like Punta Chiqueros outside of the Playa Bonita restaurant on the windward side. In my opinion, IT is the best beach on the whole island. Ricardo serves up the best shrimp fajitas and coronas on the planet.

That was Chen Rio for sure. I think it is just a little farther north than Playa Bonita. I remember passing it at some point. Did not stop there though. Here is the sign for Chen Rio. Small parking lot, it's easy to miss.

Image-ECBCFF24B7DC11D8.jpg

Archived