What is "Cocktail Casual?"

I have been invited to a party for "music, cocktails, & Hors D'oeuvres." Dress is "cocktail casual." Any ideas what this might be? I have never heard the two used together. To me, they sound complete opposite.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Amanda

I have been invited to a party for "music, cocktails, & Hors D'oeuvres." Dress is "cocktail casual." Any ideas what this might be? I have never heard the two used together. To me, they sound complete opposite.

Thanks!

Amanda

I wish I could help you, but this term sounds about as clear as mud, and yes, they sound contradictory! Formal, informal, semi-formal, and casual work just fine for me!

This is almost as bad as the term from the 70s and early 80s, "Black Tie Invited." That one died because NO ONE knew what the heck it meant.

That said, I think a somewhat dressy outfit--think black pants and shell with a really dressy jacket (for example, I have a jeweltoned, flowy silk kimono type jacket I wear to things like this) --a dressy sundress or not-too-spangly cocktail dress--might work.

Thanks

Amanda

The venue would be a factor to consider with this. Is it in someone's home or backyard? Is it in a very hip, trendy 20something venue, like a club? Is it in a conservative restaurant? There are so many different places that this type of "affair" can be held that would make a difference on the attire to a certain extent and also if it is a "business" or "personal" function.

In general though I would say it safe to wear a pair of black dressy pants and a silk/satin camie with a matching beaded silk knit cardigan. A smaller handbag but not necessarily an "evening" bag and shoes/sandels should be somewhat dressy but not "evening".

Or a little black dress could also be worn. As I said, I would consider the venue, time, and age of the average person attending.

For business fuction or conservative type function, I would probably wear a dressy pant suit, something that is business like but not for everyday work, used to be called a "dinner suit" or an "after 5" attire.

I also think location (where you live) could also be a factor. Some locations are more conservative, some are more trendy

That term came up on a thread recently (maybe a month ago?) and it was the first time I'd heard it. What came to my mind though was a LBD that was dressed down...you know not too sparkly or embellished with toned down jewelry and accessories.

If you do a search, you may be able to find that thread that might give you some ideas.

Geez, for a second, I thought the cruise lines had come up with yet another 'class' of dressing for the dining room. Thank God that's not happening. I have enough problem with 'resort casual' and all the other strange ideas that I swear somebody lays awake at night to come up with.

Anyway, it would be helpful to know the environment of this party. Will it be at a country club or a local bar? What time? Who else is attending (friends, co-workers, customers)?

Any other specifics would be welcomed.

Thanks,

T

At the risk of this sounding badly but to be accurate, I would also consider the "type of people" /venue hosting. Are they very affluent and wear the newest/latest, and or very trendy, or are they laid back casual, or are they less affluent. Money and background and age can make a big difference in what you will see on average.

I've been to a lot of these types of "functions" and the dress is all over the place. A new "club opening" of hip trendy 20 somethings on average is one thing, a cocktail reception given by the orchestra/ballet is another, at a yacht club yet another and then the "business ones" and the fundraisers etc etc. Actually these are my favorite types of parties as it is really the simplest for me to know what to wear as long as I know who/what/where/when.

Just as the term "casual" can mean different things to different people from different areas of the country, age, background/work, and yes financial status, the same for the term cocktail casual.

The party is given by a vendor and will be filled with Business men and women of all ages. It is being held in the Fairmont Copley Hotel in Boston in the middle of August.

I have a sleeveless, leapord print, knee-length dress that I'm thinking about wearing with some black strappy sandles.

The party is given by a vendor and will be filled with Business men and women of all ages. It is being held in the Fairmont Copley Hotel in Boston in the middle of August.

I have a sleeveless, leapord print, knee-length dress that I'm thinking about wearing with some black strappy sandles.

I know the hotel well, upscale, well healed, a little conservative from my recollection. , Boston can be conservative compared to other locations and it is "business".

Hard to say about the "leopard print dress" without seeing it.

I would go with a little black dress and some nice strappy sandels if you wear heals. For a little more casual look, I would wear, black summer crepe pants or black silk skirt and an off white silk cami with a matching silk knit beaded twinset and some dressy ballet flats or strappy sandels if you can wear heals and be on your feet for cocktails. Without seeing the dress, I would probably not wear leopard print for a business cocktail function unless of course it's a "business fashion function" and the dress is really very of the moment or if it was a small piece not a whole dress. (and I love leopard print) but that's just my opinion, am interested in what others will say.

I know the hotel well, upscale, well healed, a little conservative from my recollection. , Boston can be conservative compared to other locations and it is "business".

Hard to say about the "leopard print dress" without seeing it.

I would go with a little black dress and some nice strappy sandels if you wear heals. For a little more casual look, I would wear, black summer crepe pants or black silk skirt and an off white silk cami with a matching silk knit beaded twinset and some dressy ballet flats or strappy sandels if you can wear heals and be on your feet for cocktails. Without seeing the dress, I would probably not wear leopard print for a business cocktail function unless of course it's a "business fashion function" and the dress is really very of the moment or if it was a small piece not a whole dress. (and I love leopard print) but that's just my opinion, am interested in what others will say.

Coming from somone who posted hooker/stripper shoes on another post... here is my two cents:

I LOVE leopard print myself, ask anyone who knows me.

However, I do not think I would wear it to an event for business or wear business people will attend. Seems too.... hmmmm...out there?:rolleyes:

Just the "hooker's" opinion.:D

I LOVE leopard print myself, ask anyone who knows me.

However, I do not think I would wear it to an event for business or wear business people will attend. Seems too.... hmmmm...out there?:rolleyes:

I have to agree!

I LOVE leopard print too...but personally I would stay away from that for an event involving business peeps.

But...I tend to err on the conservative, yet "over dressy" side when in doubt.

Now an LBD with leopard print shoes! That I'd do!

~e

I would agree with Mrs. Moose on the hotel as well as the conservative dress. I'd say leave the leopards at home.

Check out the Talbots website. They have everything from business to special occasion fashions. It's a quintessential Boston- conservative company. I think you can get some good ideas from their site.

There are many mant different styles of dresses done in leopard print, all the way from conservative to sleazy. It is one of my favorite prints and I would see nothing wrong with wearing it - depending on the syle of dress. One of my classiest dresses (worn on a cruise AND to church AND to work!) is a long (almost to the ankles) chiffon sleeveless dress - and it is a leopard print. I get more compliments on that dress - it goes everywhere!!

I have to agree!

I LOVE leopard print too...but personally I would stay away from that for an event involving business peeps.

But...I tend to err on the conservative, yet "over dressy" side when in doubt.

Now an LBD with leopard print shoes! That I'd do!

~e

Absolutely spot on, msred! As a corporate exec for many years, I would always dress for these type of functions on the conservative side but with one jazzy accessory to reflect my personality.

An LBD with leopard print shoes is exactly what I would choose:D.

There are many mant different styles of dresses done in leopard print, all the way from conservative to sleazy. It is one of my favorite prints and I would see nothing wrong with wearing it - depending on the syle of dress. One of my classiest dresses (worn on a cruise AND to church AND to work!) is a long (almost to the ankles) chiffon sleeveless dress - and it is a leopard print. I get more compliments on that dress - it goes everywhere!!

Hmmm...

Sorry,I can't see that.

I adore leopard print, and own tons of it myself.

I just can't see where an entire dress in it would ever be considered conservative.

That would be like me trying to say that those shoes I posted on the other thread( if you don't know what I am talking baout... be glad!:eek: )could be worn with the right dress and suddenly they would be conservative... impossible.

To me... leopard print , no matter what the article it is placed on, is not a conservative print...period.

Now, could she wear other leopard print items as suggested? Definately.

Just not an entire dress in it, I don't think.

Absolutely spot on, msred! As a corporate exec for many years, I would always dress for these type of functions on the conservative side but with one jazzy accessory to reflect my personality.

An LBD with leopard print shoes is exactly what I would choose:D.

You have fabulous taste :D

~e

Hmmm...

Sorry,I can't see that.

I adore leopard print, and own tons of it myself.

I just can't see where an entire dress in it would ever be considered conservative.

...To me... leopard print , no matter what the article it is placed on, is not a conservative print...period.

I assure you - it is. You are perhaps thinking of a large print...I don't know. I work in a professional environment, and it is entirely appropriate there.

I don't know what it means either.

I'd rather stick out at a business function for being overdressed or dressed too conservatively than to have the opposite problem / reaction. People will still respect you & want to do business with you if they think you are a tad stuffy. Other conclusions (deserved or not) may adversely effect your "bottom line" & thereafter negatively impact your ability to cruise. :eek:

To make this somewhat cruise related, I once received an invitation to an on-board private party with a similar "dress code." I didn't undertsand it then either. I wore a slinky floor length textured cotton,

spaghetti strap, sun dress with a bold flower pattern. I fit right in but I wouldn't wear that dress to hotel in Boston b/c I once wore it to a friend's roof top 4th of July party in NYC & felt out of place.

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll go out shopping for a LBD. I had one, but that was 20 pounds ago...it is now 2 sizes too big. Don't you just hate that??

To the poster who suggested I call the host/hostess, I don't know them. It is a vendor that is trying to sell their product and have invited potential clients for a cocktail "sales pitch."

Now...off to find some leopard print shoes!! :D

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll go out shopping for a LBD. I had one, but that was 20 pounds ago...it is now 2 sizes too big. Don't you just hate that??

Good for you!

Yes..shopping is such a chore ;)

An LBD is something that gets so much use!

Now...off to find some leopard print shoes!! :D

You will be smashing dahlink!

Enjoy!

Let us know how it goes!

~e

Archived